• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
That's like saying that the opinions of Westerners who love the Westernized Chinese food they grew up with are bad. As a person who grew up with authentic Chinese food, I'm not going to give people in the West shit just because it's not the "authentic" thing.

At the end of the day if the Japanese themselves enjoy it, that's all it matters. No need to be a snob about it.
I don't think it's snobbish to say spaghetti with ketchup is not Italian, nor a particularly good dish, and I'm not even Italian.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Having lived in Japan for 12 years... IMO a vast majority of Japanese people's food critiques are not to be trusted.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Surprised Indian food isn't at the top of Britain's list. Turkish food should be higher too, lots of kebab shops and restaurants in the country.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Karelian pies are the food of Gods and I think Finnish sweets/dessert game is on point but I can't fault Finland for being so low on the list. We were still a fairly peasant-y culture pretty recently and our lands & climate don't really produce the rich assortment of highly flavourable vegetables & spices, so our traditional foods are fairly simple, made from the relatively few things that anyone with a bit of land could grow. Salt, black & white pepper and onions are the basic ingredients as far as spices & such goes and then there those are combined with fat, meat and different kinds of beets.

I do think we get a bit of a bad rap because it's soooooo easy to make really bad Finnish cuisine, but they can actually be pretty tasty when the right person makes them and/or with a little bit of updating/modernizing with spices and ingredients that are more commonplace nowadays.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it's snobbish to say spaghetti with ketchup is not Italian, nor a particularly good dish, and I'm not even Italian.

Japanese food is known to be quite sweet, I'd Imagine the "Authentic" way of making Tomato based pasta sauce is too tart for them.

It's not just the Japanese either, as Fillipino Spaghetti is also known to be ridiculously sweet since they use condensed milk for the sauce.

Even the way how tomato based spaghetti is served in HK, would make any Italian angry I'd imagine lol.

Italy also hates everything

They also hate altered Italian food too.

Watch any youtube video of someone making Fettuccine Alfredo and you'd get thousands of posts of saying it's not "Authentic". It's ridiculous.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I'm surprised that Japan hates foreign food the most given that foreign-themed restaurants are basically inescapable.
But Japan's authenticity game is pretty bad TBH. Despite an endless selection of "European food" which I eat regularly enough, I often find myself craving the real thing.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Filipinos love a lot of other countries' cuisines much like their own. Wish other countries do the same for Filipino cuisine.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
As a Finn I'm not sure there is such a thing as Finnish cuisine, but if there is it must be better than English food.

Having seen the photos in this thread, I can say that at least the English make their food LOOK like it could be edible. Some of those Finnish dishes look like something I'd find floating near the drain of a clogged sink. Rating it on a scale of 1 to 10, taste may be a 4 or 5 but it gets a -50 in presentation. And if it can't look appetizing, it can cause a natural bias in taste perception.

South Kora. ;)

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like countries with most popular cuisines (at least the top 4) are very happy with their own food that they don't care much for others. Indonesia is an outliner.

And as a Thai, I agree with the survey. :P

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
The Thai tastes one is so true. You can queue for a fucking hour to get into some shitty generic chain Japanese restaurant in a Thai mall, meanwhile some of the best Indian restaurants I've ever eaten at only ever seem to have Indians or Westerners in them whenever I go.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They didn't ask me. Straight 100s across the board, except for Vietnamese... that gets 110. Fuck all of the haters.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems right for Malaysia, but most of the dislike is most probably because they haven't had it yet.

Greek cuisine is great. It's not really available here though.

edit: Wait, Thai cuisine is on 71 in Malaysia is one of the ludicrous things on this chart.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone talking about "ketchup is spaghetti sauce in japan" is eating exclusively at supermarkets.

The amount of authentic restaurants is pretty high if you're not lazy (and live somewhere populated anyway)
Perhaps these are the same travelers who come to America and apparently eat exclusively at gas stations and then talk about how everything here is shitty

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
Come to the Outback Steakhouse sometime, they've got the onion stuff locked down.
I highly recommend the Chef's Table episode where they interview the Australian chef. Wanna say it's season 3 pretty interesting stuff they do with seasoning and some rarer (pun intended) cuts of meat like Kangaroo (pretty flavorful when I had it at a wild game place here in AZ a few years back),

L176

Jan 10, 2019
As said before in this thread, it is very hard to pinpoint what actual Finnish cuisine even is. Like the pea soup on the first page is not actually Finnish by origin (fro. Western Europe). Karelian pastries couldn't even exist without imported rice or potatos which came to Finland in the 18th century. MƤmmi is pretty much one of the only original things here.

GNOSIS

Oct 29, 2017
Seems right for Malaysia, but most of the dislike is most probably because they haven't had it yet.

Greek cuisine is great. It's not really available here though.

edit: Wait, Thai cuisine is on 71 in Malaysia is one of the ludicrous things on this chart.

What do you mean? Malaysians seem to love Thai food from that chart. One of the highest, actually. Only behind their own food.

Why are people in japan such picky eaters?

Japan is picky about everything. They seem to live in own bubble most of the time.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, I am none these. A selection from different cuisines far surpasses any individual cuisine. Having said that, having the US so close to the top is both understandable (the rest of the world is trending more towards obesity) and a bit depressing. I think a lot of it comes down to taste. For instance, traditionally I think a lot of Asian cuisine is more complex than say Mediterranean, simply because of the wealth of ingredients on offer. The perception thing about say the sophistication of French cuisine, is mostly just that, a cultural story that has little basis in fact.

Like any other cuisine, Indian food can be amazing or crap. But then so can Italian, French, Chinese, etc. As for Chinese, I would only rate it highly based on what I ate when I went to China. Outside of China, I have rarely had anything particularly good.

Last edited:

SmartBase

Self-requested ban
Dec 17, 2017
Finnish grub really is terrible, hardly breaking news. It's even less surprising that 94% of Finnish respondents like that shit.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I'm more surprised at how picky people are about foods. There's very few cuisines in the world I'd find myself saying "I dislike all food from this country".

syth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving how high the aussie love for Taiwanese food is compared to everyone else. That Street food, so good

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amusing, a list where Finland is NOT in the top ten.

As a Finn I'm not sure there is such a thing as Finnish cuisine, but if there is it must be better than English food.
Finnish cuisine:
Potatoes, sauce.
Rye bread.
Grilled sausages in summer.

Joking aside, we do have variety of sorta unique foods (sorta, because analogous things exists elsewhere almost certainly) but for most part they aren't everyday stuff necessarily, and even if they are, they're not marketed to elsewhere (whether for lack of trying or success, no idea).

English Wikipedia has interesting list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Finnish_cuisine
There's stuff i know, stuff i know but i didn't know what it is called in English, stuff i know with different name, and stuff i've never heard of. And the list is definitively missing stuff, like sausages though i suppose those don't have any special name so hard to list them (they're also pretty universal in Europe at least... but that does not mean they can't also be Finnish).
Pretty sure a lot of that isn't what many Finns would consider as Finnish cuisine... probably because "it isn't worth mentioning" or some such downplaying we like to do.

EDIT Also pretty sure that we have a lot of non-standardized foods. We use a variety of ingredients but many are seasonal (and occasionally regional perhaps), and even when they're not, they're not necessarily everyday things. Plus we tend to do things relatively simply.

Last edited:

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
How is Caribbean so low in Britain? England loves a bit of jerk. That being said idk if the sentiment is shared around the other parts of the UK
Surprised Indian food isn't at the top of Britain's list. Turkish food should be higher too, lots of kebab shops and restaurants in the country.
Yeah I think it being "Britain" holds it back from being an honest representation. Pretty weird how much food changes between the North and South of England (no chicken shops up north šŸ˜£), let alone England and Northern Ireland. I'm sure this is the case in other nations too, but here I know the extent of the parity specifically

marimo

Oct 25, 2017
Wow Lebanese is severely underrated.

I honestly can't think of a cuisine I hate. Individual dishes sure but disliking a country's entire food culture?

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
Uh Peruvian food is fucking awesome
I think this survey exposes ignorance more than taste. I went to a Peruvian family wedding in London and it had probably the best food I've ever had at a wedding. It was magnificent, a thousand times better than the usual shite you get at weddings.

British food took a dive during and after WW2, the loss of so many production workers left the UK with little choice but to opt for processed, cheaply produced alternatives to fresh goods. This lasted decades but is not really a thing anymore, anyone saying British cuisine is trash is full of shit and has probably never tried a half decent British restaurant.
Australian should be higher than it is. Whilst they do have an unhealthy addiction to Shnitzels they also have some of the best Eastern/Western fusion food I've ever had.
Morrocan is brilliant, just the street food over there is amazing, I was less impressed with the French style restaurants, the small bars that just did tagines and cous cous were so much better.