• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Shoot

Oct 25, 2017
business.yougov.com

How many users could the Microsoft/Activision deal bring to Xbox Game Pass?

14% of gamers not currently subscribed to Game Pass said the addition of Call of Duty would most make them consider a subscription
b3FqtHf_d.webp

Wfx1fyx_d.webp

The study is from a couple of months back. I searched and didn't see a thread.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Call of Duty is huge. However I think its important to remember that the ABK deal is just as big of a mobile/PC play as it is Call of Duty.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean the biggest games with Warzone (2) and Mobile are gonna be f2p anyway. It's still gonna be very important in general.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
Well, it makes sense, it is a massive franchise they will essentially be getting for the price of a subscription service. Microsoft didn't pay 70 billion dollars thinking that wasn't going to happen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean Call of Duty is still the best selling game every year. Even with a "slow" year. Warzone is huge but mainline COD is also huge.
Oh for sure but with the way the IP is evolving i expect Warzone to be the main game for the next 5 years. While it seems like they are gonna be willing to take more pauses between new mainline games.

CoD Mobile and Warzone perks might be more enticing to a lot of players.

It's gonna be interesting now they juggle mainline games being on GP while also competing with the actual f2p CoD games.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Oh for sure but with the way the IP is evolving i expect Warzone to be the main game for the next 5 years. While it seems like they are gonna be willing to take more pauses between new mainline games.

CoD Mobile and Warzone perks might be more enticing to a lot of players.

It's gonna be interesting now they juggle mainline games being on GP while also competing with the actual f2p CoD games.
Maybe. I think they're evolving Call of Duty a lot. MW2 is supposedly getting an Escape from Tarkov-esque mode and there's a good chance Treyarch does a Black Ops Reboot. I think MW2 is going to sell a metric fuck ton later this year. However, the one thing I know for sure is that competing with yourself is probably the best situation to be in.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm not sure if it will be possible and what will be the nature of the deal between MS and ABK (+ the BC program would need to be reactivated for Classic, Finest Hour and Big Red One) but I hope that at some point MS will be able to put the entire COD console collection on Game Pass (except Final Fronts on PS2 but it was a bad game anyway). And with xCloud compatibility.

Having every game in the same place and playable on mobile would be great for me. And please add a remaster of World at War or MW3 in the mix while you're here.

sbkv.jpg

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
That's a lot more than I'd have expected, even though I figured the deal would be huge for Game Pass.

Pretty interesting honestly

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
And they are planning a family plan for multi user households 🤔

That would be a big boost to the subscription numbers which would increase the ease of deals for third parties and budgets for games in first party

A cycle of growth if you will

ShinAmano

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if it will be possible and what will be the nature of the deal between MS and ABK (+ the BC program would need to be reactivated for Classic, Finest Hour and Big Red One) but I hope that at some point MS will be able to put the entire COD console collection on Game Pass (except Final Fronts on PS2 but it was a bad game anyway). And with xCloud compatibility.

Having every game in the same place and playable on mobile would be great for me. And please add a remaster of World at War or MW3 in the mix while you're here.

sbkv.jpg
Wow...I've only played like 4 of those maybe 5...ill have a lot to dive into.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if that "46% of PlayStation gamers" response can be read the way it comes across at first, since the question's framing doesn't exactly adequately convey that GP is not available on PS systems and requires other hardware.

Frieza

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if that "46% of PlayStation gamers" response can be read the way it comes across at first, since the question's framing doesn't exactly adequately convey that GP is not available on PS systems and requires other hardware.
The question asked about Xbox Game Pass. I would assume most people would know a service called Xbox Game Pass isn't on PlayStation.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Honeslty don't know if Microsoft will but if they add WoW to game pass and you don't have to pay a subscription anymore I feel that would do gangbusters for game pass numbers, and WoW numbers to.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The question asked about Xbox Game Pass. I would assume most people would know a service called Xbox Game Pass isn't on PlayStation.

That's a pretty big assumption for a survey — if the claim you want to make is that these PlayStation users will consider getting additional hardware for GP. Maybe it was spelled out in more explicit terms earlier in the survey though.

Last edited:

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
That's a pretty big assumption for a survey — if the claim you want to make is that these PlayStation users will consider getting additional hardware for GP. Maybe it was spelled out in more explicit terms earlier in the survey though.
We really need to stop treating people as dumb. There are always going to be assumptions in studies and it is logical to think that people that want to game on Xbox Game Pass know what it is, and know full well that it is not being offered on Sony consoles or Nintendo consoles.

After all, they actually game on those consoles. Less assumption, more deduction. The hit rate may not be absolute, but enough for them to make an assumption that this is not something that would alter opinions given.

A far better question would be what the sample size was and what was the distribution like?

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
We really need to stop treating people as dumb. There are always going to be assumptions in studies and it is logical to think that people that want to game on Xbox Game Pass know what it is, and know full well that it is not being offered on Sony consoles or Nintendo consoles.

After all, they actually game on those consoles. Less assumption, more deduction. The hit rate may not be absolute, but enough for them to make an assumption that this is not something that would alter opinions given.

A far better question would be what the sample size was and what was the distribution like?
Same size was 1200 Americans, 1200 UK citizens. Margin of error is estimated to be 2.8%

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
So is a "playstation gamer" someone who only plays on playstation? A "nintendo gamer" someone who only plays on Nintendo? etc. It might be more helpful if the people considering GP would have to buy a new console or PC. Was PC Game Pass even mentioned as an option?

The dozens of comments calling COD a dying franchise and downplaying the Activision deal on here when the news first broke, apparently.
People are strange.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not saying you can't learn anything from this. I just don't think that what was asked and how the result was presented, both numerically and in text, is going to be what readers' takeaway will be after they look at the big bold highlight.

Why would you say so?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

sbkv.jpg

I haven't played a COD campaign since Infinite Warfare. I actually really enjoy them for what they are, so I'm very looking forward to them on gamepass.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

It just says those users would consider Gamepass.

That said, if these people are interested in streaming via gamepass, its likely they already have all the hardware they would need

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It just says those users would consider Gamepass.

That said, if these people are interested in streaming via gamepass, they likely have all the hardware they would need.

That's exactly what it says, yeah. By which I mean to say is that people shouldn't point at just this figure and claim this is what makes the acquisition competitively problematic in the console market. Since there's been a fair amount hand wringing already.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what it says, yeah. By which I mean to say is that people shouldn't point at just this figure and say this is what makes the acquisition competitively problematic. Since there's been a fair amount hand wringing already.

Yeah…

That a lot of people would consider subscribing doesn't make it competitively problematic… it just means they are potentially offering a compelling product for consumers…

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It is small when you consider that Sony does more than 35 million consoles in the US. Distribution would be razor thin and prone to bias.

1200 is a fine sample size for a population of 35 million, so long as respondents were chosen in sound manner. That's good for less than 3% margin of error at 95% confidence. Doubling the number of respondents would have only reduced margin of error by 1%.

For populations larger than 20,000, increasing sample sizes beyond 1000 don't really have much impact on margins of error. The biggest impact would be methodology.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017
It is small when you consider that Sony does more than 35 million consoles in the US. Distribution would be razor thin and prone to bias.

When you're in the 1000+ range, the # of respondents is almost never the biggest problem with a given survey. So long as other aspects of the methodology are sound, you're looking at single digit margin of error even when extrapolating to tens of millions of people. "only" 1200 would be a problem if you needed to be certain your results were within 1 or 2 % of the true values, but if you were comfortable with a 5 or 6% margin that's basically fine.

OTOH, if they were sampled in a bad way, then it's going to be a problem no matter how many people they got in (like the famous Reader's Digest survey in 1936 with 2.4 million responses).

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Usually surveys like this begin with a fairly in depth educational section, and certain questions will have their own educational preludes.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
So basically the question was, what your favorite Activision franchise.
The conclusion is the one that have one will subscribe.

Survey are fantastic.