• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I saw this movie when it was a more bog standard action film called the EQUALIZER which in turn felt like a budget remake of MAN ON FIRE

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Seen it on a film festival. It was my fifth movie of the day, so I was a bit tired by then. Maybe that's why I didn't completely love it like so many reviewers do. Don't get me wrong, it's a powerful movie with great performances and a beautiful character arc. But I had a hard time actually caring for it's main character, and the plot didn't really break from well trotted paths. I'll give it a second chance one day, and I'l lmaybe come around.

For what it's worth, I didn't like We Need to Talk About Kevin either, which I found too on the nose.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
It's already out where I live. It's a very boring movie and the characters are not developed enough for me to indulge in such a slow movie. Nothing is really satisfying. It's a film that wants to ape Taxi Driver and Drive and fails.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's already out where I live. It's a very boring movie and the characters are not developed enough for me to indulge in such a slow movie. Nothing is really satisfying. It's a film that wants to ape Taxi Driver and Drive and fails.

Two of my favorite movies, starring one of my favorite actors. I HAVE to see it, even if it fails.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Saw it at LFF, and thought it was poetic and brutal. The premise is generic but the execution is anything but.

https://letterboxd.com/messofanego/film/you-were-never-really-here/
You Were Never Really Here on paper as a premise of a killer who rescues young girls from sex trafficking sounds generic. Yes, he has a tortured past as an army vet. Yes, he has PTSD-like flashbacks to a bad childhood. What's different on film is Lynne Ramsay's poetic style and Joaquin Phoenix's surprising warmth. His character actually has a healthy and funny (this involves Psycho, ironically) relationship with his mother. His voice isn't gravelly, it's quite soft. Despite a runtime of 85 minutes for a crime thriller (along with Good Time another one set in New York!), it's satisfying in how everything plays out. Lynne's direction and Joe Bini's editing says as much outside of the frame as what's visible, which avoids glamorizing the violence. The score is memorably abrasive and beautiful (again, like Good Time!), thanks to Jonny Greenwood. There's an overall theme of cycles of violence that makes it feel like a less romantic and more brutal Leon.

Now Lynne, don't take 5 years or more for the next film :P​

berzeli

Oct 25, 2017
Lynne Ramsay is one of the best contemporary directors around, and I've been waiting on a new film from her for nearly six years. So I'm kind of annoyed that Amazon don't know what the fuck they're selling, the French trailer is so much better:

And don't get me started on the stupid fucking hashtag "#BringTheHammer".

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Grizzled manly man is given mission to save/protect innocent girl. Equalizer was probably a bad example, since Denzel's character takes it upon himself to hunt down the bad guys

But c'mon the set up for this is exactly like Man on Fire

EDIT:

OMG! He saves girls from sex trafficking? Yeah, Equalizer. There you go!

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I was sold at Joaquin Phoenix and Taxi Driver comparisons make the wait almost unbearable! Though the trailers aren't exactly selling Taxi Driver vibes imo.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Lynne Ramsay is one of the best contemporary directors around, and I've been waiting on a new film from her for nearly six years. So I'm kind of annoyed that Amazon don't know what the fuck they're selling, the French trailer is so much better:

And don't get me started on the stupid fucking hashtag "#BringTheHammer".

Yes. That older trailer is great. This one is..n't.

I'll watch anything by Lynne Ramsay. Looking forward to checking this out when I can.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I loved this, the soundtrack from the immaculate Jonny Greenwood was mesmerizing, as always. I do prefer the original title "A Beautiful Day" especially with the ending.

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I immediately thought of Travis Bickle when watching this. Quite a bog standard premise, but the execution is what makes this film good.

And yes, the music is excellent.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I read the novel(la) before seeing the movie. As often happens I prefered the book. Should have done it the other way round. Enjoyed the movie though.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
I read the novel(la) before seeing the movie. As often happens I prefered the book. Should have done it the other way round. Enjoyed the movie though.

Oh, I should have read it instead.

Lynne Ramsay is a master of tone, "We Need to Talk About Kevin" was a masterpiece. I liked this movie, but I couldn't stop comparing it to "Good Time", which was just as gritty and shaggy but much more entertaining. Joaquin killed it, but his relationship with the girl (and her character in general) felt very under-developed.

Drifters_

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it, definitely a brutal subject matter. Joaquin I believe has hit a new level with this performance. Quickly becoming my favorite actor.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joaquin was great, but the film itself, meh. Bizarre and didn't really flow for me.

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand how this won Best Screenplay at Cannes. Pretty much everything else about this movie is fantastic (editing especially), but the script itself felt pedantic.

Jul 18, 2018
Just watched the movie on Amazon Prime Video (free for prime members!!!)
I enjoyed it. The subject is pretty heart breaking, but performance from Joaquin is really great. Felt so much emotion from him doing so little. The soundtrack is great and some of the imagery was done beautifully. I came across this on accident when I was browsing through Fire Stick's 4K movies on Prime.

I don't understand how this won Best Screenplay at Cannes. Pretty much everything else about this movie is fantastic (editing especially), but the script itself felt pedantic.
I'm assuming there might be some bias because the screenplay is based on a novel so I'm assuming the screenplay parallels that better than translation of this onto film.