• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how many people here are saying 50k is a paycut to them. Is 50k not really that high of a salary in the US? In the UK it's MASSIVE.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I'd be able to save for roughly seven years and outright buy a nice house in Leeds, no mortgage.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
That would be a pay cut for me. On the other hand $50k in the US pays for about 3 times as much as it does here in little ol' Denmark.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
People can buy houses on a. 50,000 wage? Not over here. Any credit - if you get one - would be under crushing conditions.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
That's a very solid income for Central Europe, providing me with a very comfortable upper middle class life in case I wanted to stay here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, Iā€™m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It amazes me how many people here are saying 50k is a paycut to them. Is 50k not really that high of a salary in the US? In the UK it's MASSIVE.

It's basically nothing in the tech industry for any medium to large sized company. Experienced engineers can end up in the mid six figures ($400-600k) if they become a Principal Engineer. Most of that's going to be in stock but still it's good pay.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
You mind me asking where in Central Europe an income of 50k makes you upper middle class?! You should probably want to be staying there

Czech Republic. If you live in Prague, you would want to earn a bit more, especially if you have kids, but anywhere outside of it, you're off to an extremely comfortable life. In my case, since I'm still years away from starting a family, 50k would currently put me in a very safe position financially.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Czech Republic. If you live in Prague, you would want to earn a bit more, especially if you have kids, but anywhere outside of it, you're off to an extremely comfortable life. In my case, since I'm still years away from starting a family, 50k would currently put me in a very safe position financially.

Good to know ;) I guess there is still a considerable drop in costs of life between western and Eastern Europe. Here in Berlin 50k is pretty precarious. I mean no shame in that but still. pre tax that is of course. But to have 50k after tax you'll need to earn something like 90k. And Berlin is not the most expensive place to be in Germany. Munich, Hamburg, Frankfurt should all be even worse.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
The highest county tax rate in Maryland, plus Federal, Maryland state, Social Security and Medicare taxes would actually put you at $38,160 net if you made $50,000 gross.
I was doing head math without looking up a tax table. Forgot to account for progressive taxing. Still, that makes a paycheck of about $1,460 if I'm getting paid every other week (26 checks a year). That's an entire paycheck gone for rent every month. Necessities (commuting, food, other utility bills) probably puts a serious dent in the remainder.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
This would be horrible to my quality of life. I'd probably have to downsize my house and get rid of my gardener, landscaper, and house cleaner.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
This would be horrible to my quality of life. I'd probably have to downsize my house and get rid of my gardener, landscaper, and house cleaner.

jGoG090.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the sole earner with a wife and 2 kids, so I'd be fucked if I didn't have some savings. Which aren't actually savings but rather leftover money from selling our house which we'll need for a downpayment on our next house.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's a function of where exactly in the US you live. There are plenty of places in the US where you can live very comfortably on a 50k salary. In other places, you might as well be below the poverty line. For instance, the median household income in the county I live in is ~110k.

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Canada that isn't Vancouver or Toronto so $50k USD equivalent is actually really good, it's just that my salary is higher than that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Id not be able to survive with my current lifestyle. Combined income for me and my wife is well, well over that. Mine alone almost doubles that.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I earn a significant amount more than that currently, but it wouldn't make much difference to my day to day existence as I live well within my current means (somewhat because I'm not sure it will last!) Would take far longer to pay off my mortgage and radically alter my long term finances, but I'd be more than okay.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It would be worse than actually being fired, since cashing out my accrued vacation time right now would net me more than a year of the new salary up front. I'd be better off quitting my job today and starting to look for a new one than having my salary converted to that overnight.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
That would be double my current salary(Ā£) so it would enable my wife to stay at home like she would like, and allow us to rapidly progress towards purchasing a house.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be a pay bump for me individually, but not by much.

If we're talking household then we'd be screwed, my wife is a teacher and makes almost twice that alone.

Maolfunction

Oct 27, 2017
It'd be about a 25% pay raise, and it'd be nice because I could finally start paying off my accrued debt and put money away into savings. I wouldn't change my living situation or day to day spending, all of it would mostly go debt payments and savings.

Leunamus

May 18, 2019
That's approximately 3x what I currently make, so all my debt world be paid off in a year or two. I'd be able to afford to finally move out of my parent's home and maybe do some traveling.