• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Inspired by a Reddit thread I came across a while back. How would this income change affect you wherever you are living in the world and at your point in life? Negatively? Positively?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that much more than I'm making right now, but it's enough that I would probably move out of my current place and get a one-bedroom so I don't have to deal with roommates anymore. I COULD afford that now, but I wouldn't have enough monthly take-home after the fact to feel comfortable with my decision.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'd be kind of fucked because that would represent over a 50% pay cut. It would be enough to pay my mortgage, eat some food and leave the lights on, but not much else.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a little less that double what I make now, so my life would be affected wonderfully. I could finally get a car that doesn't try to fall apart everyday, stop living pay check to paycheck, and really start creating the future my SO and I want.

Oct 27, 2017
More than I'm making now, especially if it stays in USD. I'm stoked.

Fuck y'all rich and stable jerks. This would improve my life a lot.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Probably wouldn't have much of an effect. Making more means we would just be spending more. I guess my house would be more full of stuff?

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
It would be an extra 20K or so more for me, would take the pressure off the mortgage abit and allow me to even pay abit extra. Also would allow me to focus on getting the credit card paid off and maybe be able to afford yearly holidays overseas.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
I'm a resident doctor. I work my ass off. It's super stressful. If my income was $50k no matter what I did I'd quit medicine and become a tour guide or a scuba instructor or something. Also I'd have to move because $50k a year doesn't cut it in Chicago.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Making the equivalent of £41k would be almost triple my current pay. I could actually work on building like, savings and shit

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Would I still have to work or do I just collect that money like winning $50k a year lottery or something?

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be making more than what I am now so I'd probably be able to pay off my house faster.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a grad student now, so that would be a pretty huge increase. I would probably buy a new keyboard.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Make around 40k right now so that would be amazing, in literal absolutely no worries territory as I would be able to live exactly the same but save aggressively, build up a real emergency fund, and pay off my loans way faster.

EPaul

Oct 30, 2017
I would buy at least two plots of land and open a retirement account (50k is 135k in my currency)

jokingbird

Oct 25, 2017
I would be making less money. I would probably have to move as I am already accruing debt monthly.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
1/10th would suck. There goes the pool, the maid, the quarter million dollar boat and 2 months of vacations. I can't live like that

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
That would hit me pretty damn hard. My monthly expenses are exceed whatever 50k is monthly. I'd have to move, probably turn in my car and get a vastly cheaper car or used car, completely cancel auxiliary entertainment stuff, and make cuts to the quality of food I buy.

I'd be devastated quite probably.

Edit: Forgot the most important part. I would have to leave immediately.

Just to further expand...
My rent is currently about 1800.
Car is about 600.
That alone is 2400. 50k between 12 is roughly 4166 a month and this is just gross. Let's say that with all deductions it goes down to 3700. Is have about 1300. Not impossible to live off that, but then factor in expanses like my student loan which is only 100 bucks or so, credit card debt is more than ok let's say about 100 extra a month. My phone bill is about 270 with ATT, 90 for Fiber internet. That's another 360 down the drain. I'd have about 600 left over for groceries and other expenses.

It's doable of course but definitely an impact to my quality of life.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'd leave, that is a fairly large pay cut. It might convince the spousal unit to go into administration at her school and I would likely be a SAHD.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot to be said when people panic at the thought of making $50K a year.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is a trap thread. The bots will love it. Be careful what you share online.

If I made 50K a year I'd go to this little diner I know it's called Dinah which is both my mother's maiden name and the name of my first pet and it's on 47th 22 Street which I remember 'cause that's the last four digits of my SS#