• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019
With the release of Crash 4: It's About Time, the N sane Trilogy, the Spyro remasters, and Mario going back to 64 3D platforming with Odyssey (and just releasing All-stars) do you think we'll ever get to see this duo in action again? And not even from Rare, Microsoft could easily had it off to a company like Blupoint or Vicarious Visions to do a remaster/remake of the first two games. I dunno, I just want to see them back in action...

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like a market they really need to worry about unless they convince a third party to use the license to make the game. And at that point the only real third party who could do it justice is either Playtonic or Gears for Breakfast as the big two. You can't go necessarily wrong with either, but out of the two even if Playtonic has old team members of Rare, the latter seems to have made the more well liked 3d platformer.

Fortunately whoever does it, there's no worry about the game being locked to just the xbox, since MS allows their games out on PC too.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you're asking if a banjo threeie will exist, no.

The game would be too expensive to create and the i.p. is of too little value to Microsoft for the kind of audience they've spent this time cultivating to justify it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Hell yes we will. There absolutely will be a new Banjo Kazooie platformer one day.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I think there's a fair chance BK will get a new game this coming generation.

Whether that's a remaster or a full new game I couldn't say.

I was watching a video about the development of Nuts and Bolts and it mentioned one of the original ideas was a remake of Banjo Kazooie, but as you progress through the game, Banjo and Kazooie start to realize they're in a remake.
I still think that would be a fantastic concept for a remake, but according to the video they had trouble bringing the idea to life (like they didn't know if that would alienate fans who just want a straight remake, and people who just want a full new game).

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I think Banjo will get a revival. Whether it's a Crash tier revival or a Battletoads tier revival - I don't know.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I feel like the voice and world of Banjo is too specific that nobody outside of Gregg Mayles and co. would feel comfortable tackling it - and Gregg has said repeatedly he has no interest in Banjo.

Nothing is impossible but I have little hope. At least they're in Smash.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Banjo-Kazooie........

I honestly have no hope.

And that, even if they do it, they're not going to design it like the original, but moreso like Tooie and Yooka-Laylee, so I'm gonna end up hating it lol.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I think there's a fair chance BK will get a new game this coming generation.

Whether that's a remaster or a full new game I couldn't say.

I was watching a video about the development of Nuts and Bolts and it mentioned one of the original ideas was a remake of Banjo Kazooie, but as you progress through the game, Banjo and Kazooie start to realize they're in a remake.
I still think that would be a fantastic concept for a remake, but according to the video they had trouble bringing the idea to life (like they didn't know if that would alienate fans who just want a straight remake, and people who just want a full new game).
That would sure be something coming off of another certain game that released recently

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
As much as I love Banjo-Kazooie........

I honestly have no hope.

And that, even if they do it, they're not going to design it like the original, but moreso like Tooie and Yooka-Laylee, so I'm gonna end up hating it lol.

Honestly I think if they made another Banjo it would probably resemble Mario Odyssey in scope more than anything. It probably wouldn't be a tight 10 hour experience like the original though you're right, as much as I would like that.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018

The game would be too expensive to create and the i.p. is of too little value to Microsoft for the kind of audience they've spent this time cultivating to justify it.

A banjo game shouldn't cost THAT much money to make.

I don't get the comments about 'the kind of audience'. Its the same audience they've targeted stuff like Ori at. It'll be going straight to Gamepass and Steam, so audience would be massive. Plus you can probably see a Switch port coming out of this and selling way over a million units.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I don't think anything has been in the works before 2019, but after how well the Smash reveal went over, I'd be surprised if Microsoft didn't scramble to get SOMETHING in the works.

Personally, I'm expecting a remake or a new game a little past halfway through the gen (like 2023), which probably means we'll get nothing at all. Still, Microsoft seems to want to fire on all cylinders this gen and this feels like an obvious way to get some goodwill.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
MachineGames presents Conker's Bad Weekend

Obsidian presents Banjo Kazooie RPGeeie

Arkane presents Viva Pinata Partycrash

Lets geddit

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think if they made another Banjo it would probably resemble Mario Odyssey in scope more than anything. It probably wouldn't be a tight 10 hour experience like the original though you're right, as much as I would like that.
I think Mario Odyssey is exactly what I want from Banjo-Kazooie 3, which is that you can effectively "complete" a stage in one go: there is no need for backtracking and exploration in other words to unlock basic game progression. Of course, I left a lot of things behind in Odyssey just gunning for the end with the minimal amount of Moons, but the fact that there wasn't a single point in Odyssey that necessitated me travelling to another land to finish a mandatory task in another land made the exploration more inviting and less like a chore. Banjo-Tooie and Yooka-Laylee are chores with this shit. So yes, please, bring on Banjo Odyssey!

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see remakes of BK and BT happening, I'd honestly love that more than a potential Threeie.

I think Mario has evolved so much at this point while BK was staying dormant that there's no way it could even come close to how good Mario is now, no one has more experience in platformers than Nintendo.

Whereas with the older games I preferred BK and BT over Mario 64 and Sunshine.

Seeing as how Yooka-Laylee went down, maybe Microsoft can put some fresh blood on BK instead of Rare.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I think Mario Odyssey is exactly what I want from Banjo-Kazooie 3, which is that you can effectively "complete" a stage in one go: there is no need for backtracking and exploration in other words to unlock basic game progression. Of course, I left a lot of things behind in Odyssey just gunning for the end with the minimal amount of Moons, but the fact that there wasn't a single point in Odyssey that necessitated me travelling to another land to finish a mandatory task in another land made the exploration more inviting and less like a chore. Banjo-Tooie and Yooka-Laylee are chores with this shit. So yes, please, bring on Banjo Odyssey!

Agreed. I replayed both Banjo-Kazooie and Mario Odyssey this year and the former is still my all time favorite 3D platformer, but if a Banjo 3 came out that was as good as Odyssey, I'd be in hog heaven.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
I think it makes too much financial sense to not happen eventually. I know 3D platformers besides Mario don't fly off the shelves but it's got a great reputation and people love the characters. I can't imagine a decently done iteration of Banjo-Kazooie falling.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like Gregg cares much about it and if the Killer Instinct documentary has shown me anything is that you need someone internally like Ken Lobb that stans hard for a dead IP for it to have any chance to come back at microsoft

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
We just had a thread a few hours ago very similar to this but my answer is yes I think Banjo will return on Series X somehow some way this coming generation.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With how much money MS is throwing at good will projects i'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. When they own half of the industry some studio will do it so pretty soon i guess.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the XBLA HD ports of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie hit the Switch platform, frankly I'm kind of expecting it. So in that respect, my answer is yes.

As for an actual new platforming Banjo-Kazooie ... well, let's hope the success of Gamepass leads Microsoft to make that decision in the effort to bolster the catalog.

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
I did a second run of World of Light with just Banjo-Kazooie and pretended it was Banjo-Threeie. So if that'a all I ever get from Banjo again, I will be satisified.

(I really, really like World of Light)

Nov 12, 2017
Whoever is in charge of Rare IP (or IP in general) at Microsoft is doing a shitty job. Under-budget Battletoads, Little Conker, nonexistent Banjo; even the successful KI has been left to rot.

A Banjo remake should be a no-brainer

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Banjo might have another chance at life but Conker is deep in the cold, cold ground

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Every time it's brought up to Gregg Mayles he says he'll only do a new one if he can think of an innovative new idea for it. It's been 12 years since the last installment so I guess he can't be bothered to come up with anything.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and I hope it still has some Nuts & Bolts DNA still in it. Would hate for them to drop such a unique concept entirely. Like give people their guh huh jumping and shit, but then have puzzles/stages where we build shit.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020

Counterpoint. Now with gamepass a game like that doesn't need to make a certain amount of unit sales to be successful and you can just focus on a good tailored experience. Gamepass also needs a variety of content to bring in different demographics to subscribe

The real problem is that rare won't do it because they believe in doing different things and the old guard that is left are hard on that so the best you can hope for is rare consulting with another studio being contracted to do it. I'd love a double-fine led banjo or conker game but I'd want them to want to make it too

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
If there ever is any cross-pollination between Microsoft and Nintendo, I think it'll be Banjo Kazooie. Maybe Retro would develop.