• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Not sure if it's worth it. It's not a question of bravery, the game hasn't aged well and lacks the legacy and following to justify all the work a remake would take to make it acceptable AND palpable. Nier is flawed but impactful and its qualities helped carry its legacy to Automata and the upcoming remake, Drakengard 1 isn't at that level of merit.

jdh96

One Winged Slayer
Jan 25, 2020
May I ask why exactly this game has a pedophile party member?

Oct 27, 2017
Drakengard with combat by platinum, better controls and design for the other gameplay sections, and the original rejected version of Ending E with the sing off against a J-Pop idol to decide the fate of the world.

Would end up being a game of the generation candidate if they went all in and tried their best to make it an amazing experience. Let Yoko Taro go ham with it.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
What?

The idea that Nier is continuing with a remaster of Replicant and perhaps Nier 3 is a good sign that they are not afraid to do this whole universe. We may see it again.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Only if sanodg and J99 are back. As much as I love Okabe, the original is one of the most unique soundtracks around and along with DMC1 an important part of early 00s sampling.

Oct 28, 2017
May I ask why exactly this game has a pedophile party member?

It's a hateful game. Not in a way that other hateful games like Postal and Manhunter were but in such a way that you are very clearly meant to feel uncomfortable about it. Especially since one of the characters in your party is a child. It's an extremely unique game essentially depicting a world losing its collective mind, which is best shown in how the soundtrack plays like Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. It is an extremely unpleasant game to play but not in a bad way because there is some purity it it's intent.

I don't think there will be a game like Drakengard ever again, I will never play it again but I am glad it exists.

The one sided incest mentioned in this thread is also played extremely straight where the character involved responds in complete disgust. It's not titillating at all.

For those reasons I don't think a remake can work. The game only works because it works so damn hard to make the experience so unpleasant and maddening that all of the heinous elements mostly work.

Last edited:

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I won't lie, this thread makes me wanna read an LP of Drakengard again. Its so dark it turns hilarious.

Eden-prime

May 21, 2020
One of my first dark fantasy games that i enjoyed the combat aspect so much but at the same time, highly disturbed with the story. I'd love a remake or remastered version on PS5.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Drakengard seems like an extreme reflection of what was hot in the 2000's of the video game industry where "dark and gritty" was all the rage in that era.

You got:
--a grimdark world
--a sociopathic protagonist
--a cannibal party member
--a pedophile party member
--straight up incest
--pointless killing of children
--seriously, this game hates children
--not a single person in the cast is likable
Crazy to think that (by proxy) Final Fantasy is now connected to this.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I think they absolutely should remake this game, Drakengard 2 and Drakengard 3 under the new Nier Replicant Remastered engine.

Yoko Taro finally has mainstream brand recognition so his games are bound to sell from hereon out, and Drakengard is too deeply connected to Nier to be ignored.

Why were all these fucked up things allowed in a video game back then?

If Drakengard is too intense for you, you can have a more tame experience with Drakengard 2.

No. It wouldn't pass in any market today. It's a product of its time and is best left in that time. I say this as a big Drakengard fan, too. It's not viable today. You can't sanitize it, either. The whole point of that game is that every single character is shitty and creepy.

I don't buy that, Final Fantasy XVI is rated 18+ so a remaster/remake of Drakengard can be approved if Square Enix wanted to. It's simply boils down to whether it's in Yoko Taro's and Square Enix best interest.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Why would they? The game is terrible, it only has the shock value going on.

Yoko Taro finally has mainstream brand recognition so his games are bound to sell from hereon out, and Drakengard is too deeply connected to Nier to be ignored.

It's as connected as FFX to FFVII, so not much really.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
www.destructoid.com

Yoko Taro says he'll do a Drakengard remaster collection if Square Enix pays for it

Alright alright alright Drakengard is a wonderful, weird series that thrust Yoko Taro, also known as “that guy that wears...

It's as connected as FFX to FFVII, so not much really.

Ending E of Drakengard is the prequel to Nier. So technically speaking, Nier is the canon Drakengard 2 without really being called Drakengard 2 because Drakengard 2 is not canon to Yoko Taro's mythology.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
If they pass it off to Platinum Games, and let Yoko Taro direct the remake, I think it might have a chance.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Even if the Replicant remaster/remake does really well, there's still not much incentive for SE to greenlight a Drakengard remake. That money would be better off used towards more Nier content. They greenlit(?) Drakengard 3 and I expect that to stay in obscurity on the PS3.

I kind of don't think SE would give much of a shit about the controversial content, since the marketing artwork for Replicant shows Yonah, as a child, with her panties exposed. Of course that artwork is missing on the EN website but not Kaine being called a hermaphrodite.

Last edited:

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I would really like them to eventually do a remake or enhanced edition of Drakengard 1 and especially of 3 as well, but I think it's more of a question of bandwidth and how many other things they're working on right now rather than a question of bravery.

TLDR, I can see them eventually revisiting the series, but they have enough on their plate right now.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think remaking a Dynasty Warriors knockoff from a decade and a half ago would do them many favors. Like Drakengard is a terrible game. The story is batshit insane, but the actual game part is garbage no one should ever revisit.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I don't think there's a market for it. I mean, I'm sure there is a niche market, I just don't know if it's enough to warrant it. It's not like the game's anywhere close to Nier.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy that, Final Fantasy XVI is rated 18+ so a remaster/remake of Drakengard can be approved if Square Enix wanted to. It's simply boils down to whether it's in Yoko Taro's and Square Enix best interest.

XVI has acceptable themes of violence that aren't pushing into societal taboos. You aren't going to see them engaging in some grim-dark edgelord fantasy with controversial elements.

You really think SE would be able to publish a game right now in a time where every single piece of media is criticized on all sides by everybody? In a game where the main characters are pedophiles, rapists, cannibals, mass murderers, and into incest. Let us not stop there, you really think they would get away with creepy grotesquerie babies coming from the sky then eat a crazy woman and everything else around?

That just isn't going to happen my dude. Drakengard 3 was apparently already pushing the envelope and it's hardly as bad as the first game, and the game self-censors itself for comedic value and to show that things that were easily passable in the late 90s and early 2000s were not possible in modern times. SE would be limited with which markets they could sell this game in and I doubt it would hit an M rating even in the US now. It'd get hit with AO immediately just on the themes alone.

And if they did manage to sell it, the game would be eviscerated by critics unaware of the franchise.

Yoko Taro is using more elegant storytelling that still hits at the core of his messaging to tell his stories now. Any money and resources given to him would be better spent on a new IP or new games in the NieR franchise since it is clearly a successful brand for SE.

You always push against business logic just to get your voice heard no matter what site you are on, huh...

Last edited:

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
XVI has acceptable themes of violence that aren't pushing into societal taboos. You aren't going to see them engaging in some grim-dark edgelord fantasy with controversial elements.

You really think SE would be able to publish a game right now in a time where every single piece of media is criticized on all sides by everybody? In a game where the main characters are pedophiles, rapists, cannibals, mass murderers, and into incest. Let us not stop there, you really think they would get away with creepy grotesquerie babies coming from the sky then eat a crazy woman and everything else around?

That just isn't going to happen my dude. Drakengard 3 was apparently already pushing the envelope and it's hardly as bad as the first game, and the game self-censors itself for comedic value and to show that things that were easily passable in the late 90s and early 2000s were not possible in modern times. SE would be limited with which markets they could sell this game in and I doubt it would hit an M rating even in the US now. It'd get hit with AO immediately just on the themes alone.

And if they did manage to sell it, the game would be eviscerated by critics unaware of the franchise.

Yoko Taro is using more elegant storytelling that still hits at the core of his messaging to tell his stories now. Any money and resources given to him would be better spent on a new IP or new games in the NieR franchise since it is clearly a successful brand for SE.

You always push against business logic just to get your voice heard no matter what site you are on, huh...

Yoko Taro has gotten away with it during the 2000s when censorship guidelines were even stricter then they are now so I fail to see how a remaster of a pre-existing product would become a spotlight of controversy when said themes that you believe wouldn't be accepted were surprisingly accepted in the context of the game's narrative. They can slap an AO rating, budget the game accordingly and call it a day.

Controversy on a video game just popularises the game even further, just look at The Last of Us Part II and how the vocal minority who were "outraged" by the game only served to bolster awareness of the title. You claim I push against business logic, but is it not business logic to revisit the Yoko Taro property that introduced his signature style of storytelling now that his brand recognition is at an all-time high?

Nier was splintered from Drakengard 1, and unless a retcon is introduced to sever the storytelling connection, Drakengard 1 is too important to be left in the sidelines. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will actually happen, but there's no reason to not have hope of a possibility of it happening.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yoko Taro has gotten away with it during the 2000s when censorship guidelines were even stricter then they are now so I fail to see how a remaster of a pre-existing product would become a spotlight of controversy when said themes that you believe wouldn't be accepted were surprisingly accepted in the context of the game's narrative. They can slap an AO rating, budget the game accordingly and call it a day.

Controversy on a video game just popularises the game even further, just look at The Last of Us Part II and how the vocal minority who were "outraged" by the game only served to bolster awareness of the title. You claim I push against business logic, but is it not business logic to revisit the Yoko Taro property that introduced his signature style of storytelling now that his brand recognition is at an all-time high?

Nier was splintered from Drakengard 1, and unless a retcon is introduced to sever the storytelling connection, Drakengard 1 is too important to be left in the sidelines. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will actually happen, but there's no reason to not have hope of a possibility of it happening.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft aren't going to accept or sell an AO game in 2020 onward, retailers won't carry it, and Square would never publish it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Now? Yeah, I think it could happen. After Automatas success they're not gonna shy away from Yoko Taro doin' what he wants to. So if it's in his books it may happen. The man has fans that draw the company tons of money off of game sales/merch now (haha certainly not me haha).

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I don't see how it'd be worth the effort. Every aspect of that game is garbage, especially the writing. You might as well just make a new game from scratch.