• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's true though. There is so much garbage every year on the direct to video market that i always chuckle at the folks that proclaim whatever new movie in theaters is the worst they ever seen.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
91p57OIXeuL._SL1500_.jpg
Hooooooooly shit!

I watched this movie over and over when I was a kid. Totally forgot about it! Now I vaguely remember the dino watching them having sex. I might be wrong.

Going to watch this asap.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We used to raid the bargain bin at Blockbuster and Suncoast video when we were younger to find trash. I remember watching something called Black Ninja, which appears to be some French movie. It's all on YouTube and it's awful:

You'll note that the bad guy in the first action scene is SO French, he's running away carrying a bag full of baguettes.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazing to think that David Lynch's Straight Story and Blades are set in the same cinematic universe.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
I love Vicious Lips so much. If it was just a little bit tighter and, ideally, not directed by Albert Pyun(I feel he is the root cause of most of the films problems), this would be one of those films that I would champion as an underseen classic. The music is really, really great, either way.
I see you are a gentleman of taste. Yeah, I was truly shocked by the music. I went in expecting another sex movie, and was blown away by banger after banger.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I try to watch as broad a spectrum of films as I can, but they have to have piqued my interest in some way for me to give them a chance. And most "so bad it's good" movies don't really do that.

Feb 16, 2020
I think I've accepted that my philosophy is that a film's value to me is not equal to its quality.

There are bad films I love dearly and will rewatch. I think Glen or Glenda somehow is more insightful and honest than most 50's movies despite its blatant "badness".

I grew to love "bad" movies because they often did what others failed to. "Bad" movies often were the only place to get representation. "Bad" movies were a place for representation when Hays Code/corporate control denied that. Low budget films could be more honest AND trashy.

Honestly, I've grown to love "good" movies in ways that some like bad movies. I like The Favourite because it's about catty manipulation by rich people acting badly and saying foul language. Yeah there's symbolism and gender role subversion and masterclass acting but I'm here for the insults and betrayals.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno how this somehow became a Vicious Lips thread but the movie totally falls apart once they crash. Good music though.

If you can find it, I recommend Horse Crazy.

Pierru

Dec 12, 2017
In that case, your next favorite director should be Ngai Choi Lam.

The Seventh Curse (1986), Story of Ricky (1991) and The Cat (1992) are some of the best bad movies in the whole world.
(and the guy is pretty gifted, movies such as Men from the Gutter is a truly great HK thriller from the 80's)

Also while there are too many to list, try also Ninja III: The Domination
(pretty sure this legendary game was inspired by it)

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
In that case, your next favorite director should be Ngai Choi Lam.

The Seventh Curse (1986), Story of Ricky (1991) and The Cat (1992) are some of the best bad movies in the whole world.
(and the guy is pretty gifted, movies such as Men from the Gutter is a truly great HK thriller from the 80's)

Also while there are too many to list, try also Ninja III: The Domination
(pretty sure this legendary game was inspired by it)

We have drastically different definitions of "bad movie" if you're going to list Riki-Oh and Seventh Curse

Pierru

Dec 12, 2017
Love them both (especially TSC), but tried to get the temperature from this thread as most of the movies listed enters this category of movies with awful editing, cheesy dialogue, cheap sfx but really fun overall.
We do have a word for those kind of B (or Z) movies in France (nanar) but dunno if there's an equivalent in English.

Jun 10, 2018
That scene truly blew my mind when i saw it. The consistency of Neil Breen's unintentionally perfect comedic timing is something to behold. I was howling in disbelief throughout.

There's also this weird thing where Breen's script is always as generic and non-specific as possible in everything it refers to. It's astounding.

"President of the Bank"
You're gonna be in for a treat. Neil Breen is truly the modern auteur of "So bad it's good" movies.

Edit: And this is where I'll shamelessly plug the channel Good Bad or Bad Bad. You truly don't understand the dearth of terrible movies until you see the ones these guys review.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Confession time. I watched this movie. In its entirety.

That movie is basically the standard I use to see whether it's the worst ever or if it deserves a 1. I blame Nostalgia Critic for this.

As for more entertaining bad movies:

You'll probably know the gist of this one.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
My love of film expands well into the silent era and covers every genre imaginable, from old hollywood musicals to blacksploitation and sexploitation movies from the 60's and 70's. The seeds were sown early in life. I distinctly remember the double header of "The Incredible Melting Man" and "Battle Beyond the Stars" at the drive in when I was 5yrs old! To me, old movies are a timestamp. Everything from how the actors speak and dress to the products they use within the movie is interesting and engaging to me. The music is always interesting to me as well. I would make a bad film reviewer (or any reviewer for that matter) because I always find something to love about just about anything someone else created. I also listen to old time radio broadcasts. There are a shitload of podcasts that rebroadcast these shows. Horror, scifi, wartime radio, murder mystery, you name it. I get a similar vibe and enjoyment from those as well.

I work from home and pretty much always have movies playing as I work. This means I watch an inordinate amount of movies and TV shows. For example, last October during the Halloween marathon I managed almost 120 movies and I did not include the various TV series I watched per the thread rules.

Yesterday, I watched:

Lionman (1975)
Vibes (1988)
Blackout (1978)
And I finished my day off with a great movie, The Deer Hunter (1978)

Going over my log, here are some gems I watched from the previous 2 weeks:

Fraternity Vacation (1985)
The Nude Bomb (1980)
Vice Academy 1,2,3
Solar Crisis (1990)
Sexmission (1984)
The Magic Sword (1962)
The House in Nightmare Park (1973)
Deadly Blessing (1981)
Scarewaves (2014)
Eliminators (1986)
Vicious Lips (1986)
Berserker (1987)
Trog (1970)
Conquest (1983)
The Thirsty Dead (1974)
Journey to the Beginning of Time (1955)
Bog (1979)
The Arena (1974)
Night Patrol (1984)
Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983)
Satan's Cheerleaders (1977)
Raise the Titanic (1980)

Mixed in with the above was Wes Anderson's entire fimography, 10 Abbott & Costello movies, and a shitload of war movies from the 40's to early 70's (some that could make the list above TBH!).

Today I've already watched Elephant Walk (1954) and I am well into my second movie, They Call Me Bruce? (1982).

The downside to watching movies all the time is that once I am out of work, the last thing I want to do is watch a movie or a TV show. It is super freeing in that I can concentrate on my various hobbies, but also a bummer because my wife and kids might want to watch a movie as a family and I'm usually just not into it. So, I usually do one of my hobbies while the movie is on. I only watch a handful of movies in the theatre each year as well.

I've often thought of doing a thread/vlog titled along the lines of "I watched these movies so you don't have to" and then doing an in depth breakdown of certain genres and going into detail ala Monster Madness. Many reviewers hit the high notes, but the mediocre and bad movies have just as much to say about a film genre if you give them the time and pay attention.

Anyway... Yeah, I love me some bad movies.

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland
Frankenhooker is legitimately good and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with the likes of Troll 2. The premise is batshit but it's well executed, the main cast are great and it's actually funny (intentionally). Easily my favorite Henenlotter movie and I adore that man's work.
Glad said someone that. I was legit surprised at how good that movie was.

Not too long ago I bought a box set of all the Nemesis movies. Classic Albert Pyun disasters.
The first gets by on some absurdly flashy action scenes and some stop-motion to break up the slog. The other three? Albert slowly develops a fetish for being dominated by muscular women.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
i have friends who do a bad movie night occasionally but the problem comes when they pick good movies to show. They do pick some bad movies, sometimes.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
My friends and I get together once a month to have bad movie night, and it is glorious.

We have a list thats nearly 70 deep at this point and use wheeldecide to select from it our monthly tortue so no one of us is to blame.
Only i was ever given a time out for the christmas 2018 masterpiece I chose, Elves. But if you can find a better christmas film about
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
, ive yet to find it.

I would take umbridge with the no marvel film because the 1990s Captain America and Roger Corman's Fantastic Four are fucking horrible pieces of celluloid.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't conflict with your main point, but I just want to say that I think Velocipastor is just plain not enjoyable. It tries so hard to be bad that it loses any charm that it could have had. I think movies like Zombeavers, Machete, and countless others do what Velocipastor is trying to do way better.

I'm more a fan of earnest bad movies like Riki-Oh, Manos, or Zardoz personally. They have a special charm to them that it seems is hard to recreate on purpose.

Borgnine

Oct 25, 2017
Borgnine has to have seen this, right?!

This direct to VHS tape stars Ernest Borgnine as a German and/or Russian professor of something who gets kidnapped by some Germans/Russians. In order to rescue him, the CIA sends in a crack team composed of professional bullet absorber Brandon Lee and some slut. As you might expect, the sexual chemistry between them is explosive, much like the chemical reaction of those foam dinosaurs that grow when you put them in water. The rest of the movie is mostly a saxophone solo and Brandon Lee, despite the title, using analog weapons.

1/2 stars out of 5.

radian8

Oct 25, 2017
Warriors of the Wasteland (AKA The New Barbarians) is the best worst movie i've ever seen. Watched it a couple of months back with a group of friends and family who all share a love of B and Z grade movies, and this is our new favorite. I laughed so much watching it that I had sore sides for days afterwards.
It's also available on Amazon Prime :D

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm gonna go ahead and push back and say, no you don't. While I agree statements like "worst film ever" are almost always hyperbolic, there are different factors at play. Of course Jurassic World 2 isn't remotely the shit tier film something like Troll 2 or slumber party massacre 2, but it's also got much different expectations. There are countless low to no budget italian horror films and so forth that are awful, or basically anything by "the asylum" that are all just horrendous. I know some people can have a ton of fun with these movies, but for me after the shock value of just how bad some movies are wears off, your left with just a bad movie.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
highly recommend everyone to hit up Amazon Prime Video for some quality schlock!
primevideo.jpg

Most of their best of the worst stuff is in standard definition that look like VHS copies. Amazon should be streaming HD or at the very least, cleaned up versions of these movies. Other sites do it and many of these movies have much better looking releases so Amazon has no excuse.

midfalutin

Oct 25, 2017
While a lot of direct-to-video stuff can be...well, junk, I also find that there's a decent amount of ingenuity there, in forcing filmmakers to work around certain limitations, often with smaller crews or lesser oversight? Like, I dunno. I agree people need to watch more bad-to-middle-of-the-road stuff to develop a sense of perspective, but I also think there's a special kind of bad that only big studio failures can provide? It's a very specific kind of creative bankruptcy and incompetence that just feels worse for the fact that it had a lot of money thrown at it and still turned out like garbage. I can usually find something to appreciate in the direct-to-video stuff (I've been going through a bunch of Nicolas Cage movies so I kinda had to develop this sense in order to survive, I think), but with decent-budgeted misfires it often feels like a colossal waste, like there's so many fingerprints on it that it becomes meaningless.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Watching a legitimately bad movie is a good way to reset your expectations for movies and appreciate movies that are good but not perfect.

I would have enjoyed RoboCop 2014 a lot less had I not watched RoboCop 3 a few weeks earlier.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Watching a legitimately bad movie is a good way to reset your expectations for movies and appreciate movies that are good but not perfect.

I would have enjoyed RoboCop 2014 a lot less had I not watched RoboCop 3 a few weeks earlier.

hmmm I don't really agree with this. I think we should be judging movies based on what we know filmmakers are capable of, not at how bad they can be.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
hmmm I don't really agree with this. I think we should be judging movies based on what we know filmmakers are capable of, not at how bad they can be.
I think in order to apply the full spectrum of critique to a form of media you need to observe the full spectrum as well.

Plus sometimes bad movies will also have one or two cool ideas/aspects to them.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I think in order to apply the full spectrum of critique to a form of media you need to observe the full spectrum as well.

Plus sometimes bad movies will also have one or two cool ideas/aspects to them.

I don't disagree that some of these movies can have cool aspects, but that doesn't really apply to what we were arguing.

It's fine to acknowledge the full spectrum, but if you think watching a REALLY bad movie, somehow makes a bad movie more palatable I think that's a bad way of doing it. A massive chunk of these bad movies are done in bad faith or just thrown together either as a cashgrab or by people who have no idea what they're doing. I think that probably applies to the full spectrum as much as a homemade movie some kids make with their phone.

Oct 27, 2017
With my free time as limited as it its, It's really hard to justify watching bad movies on purpose. But my Dad made me and my siblings watch a lot of straight to DVD trash back in the day, so I definitely know what true garbage is lol.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
'It Came from the Desert'
Yup in 2017 they released a movie based (very loosely) on the old 80s Cinemaware video game itself based on 50s B-movie monster movies. Basically they keep the giant ants and little else - make sure you stay for the game playthrough in the end credits though.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
That was the plan but I've only made it to 100/150. A lot of them are impossible to find or in Italian. But I feel I have a VERY firm baseline of bad movies from which to judge everything else. Like my god some of the shit I've sat through.
So Master of all things Borgnine: What is the man's greatest film?

There is a single right answer and you will judged most harshly should you fail.