• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Nintendo Switch version of Ghostrunner, the Katana Zero/Mirror's Edge mash-up with a notoriously stunning presentation, hit the e-Shop last week. I had held off on buying the game until it released on Switch but I finally had time to jump in today. The results are downright shocking.

The end product is a far cry from this trailer...

Another day, another terrible Switch port of an indie darling set in a cyberpunk world.

EDIT - Comparison between advertising materials and actual gameplay.
Developers actively lied about the look and feel of the Switch port. I was anticipated as hell to play Ghostrunner on the Switch and all the trailers and gameplay videos leading up to release date promised a decent port. And then the game came out and it is absolutely NOTHING like what they showed / promised before.

The first video is the so called Switch gameplay they showed a month before the port's release. And second one isthe final build. Tell me how this is not lying to your customers about your product. Such a shitty thing to do.

Switch gameplay, MY ASS, lol.

Last edited:

Ishka

May 1, 2019
I expected much worse based on that OP.

Seems fine to me based on other switch ports?

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It looks... pretty dang good for a switch port??

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
the switch is well below performance of a base PS4, so comparing 1.5/2 consoles later (realize its the PS4 version running PS5) makes a lot of sense...

and besides the fog/bright spots I think it looks really good?

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I would get rid of that 2nd video. Having a PS5 as a head to head isn't really going to illuminate. The first one is a much clearer breakdown.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Looks about what I expected, and seems to run fine. Not sure what anyone was expecting.

Probably could have pulled off a little more "magic" with one of those studios known for bringer over more graphically intensive games, but this looks fine to me.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Are you telling me an 18W machine can't live up to the standards of a 200W machine?

giphy.gif

zasx

Oct 27, 2017
You can actually restore most of the graphics settings if you have homebrew (needs overclock).

Before/after
upload_2020-11-12_23-22-1-png.233744

upload_2020-11-12_23-22-26-png.233745

upload_2020-11-12_23-22-41-png.233746

upload_2020-11-12_23-22-56-png.233747

upload_2020-11-12_23-24-22-png.233752

upload_2020-11-12_23-24-37-png.233753

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bad thread.

The port looks fine. No shit it's going to look terrible compared to PS4. The only real glaring issue I see here is that they could probably crank down the gamma a bit. Aside from that, it looks to be running pretty smoothly.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. I may or may not have done UE4 work on the Switch and it is almost literally a potato by modern standards. Every Switch port you play is a technical miracle.

Admittedly this one might not be great, but...yeah.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
People reductively pointing out that there was no way the Switch version could match the PS4 version are missing the point. The game has LOD issues with ground textures that pop in a mere foot away from you. The performance is a rocky 30 FPS which, given the gameplay style, can make things borderline unplayable in some of the more difficult areas. The lighting model is completely altered. The texture resolution and IQ is so poor that it's hard to make out enemies that are in front of you.

I'm going to remove the second comparison video from the OP as it seems people are getting the wrong impressions here. I'll leave the SwitchUp video up as it clearly demonstrates the issues with the port.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
People reductively pointing out that there was no way the Switch version could match the PS4 version are missing the point. The game has LOD issues with ground textures that pop in a mere foot away from you. The performance is a rocky 30 FPS which, given the gameplay style, can make things borderline unplayable in some of the more difficult areas. The lighting model is completely altered. The texture resolution and IQ is so poor that it's hard to make out enemies that are in front of you.

I'm going to remove the second comparison video from the OP as it seems people are getting the wrong impressions here. I'll leave the SwitchUp video up as it clearly demonstrates the issues with the port.

Sounds like roughly what I'd expect when taking a tech-pushing UE4 game and porting it to the Switch.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I might buy the Switch version as well just because it reminds me of a 3D game running on the DS. It's almost charming. XD

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017

So you're going to remove a video that shows the port not being as bad as you're suggesting so you can maintain the narrative that it's awful, even if there is evidence that shows otherwise?

Bruh.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Looks okay to me. I mean, comparably it looks bad, but it's a Switch port of a game designed for fairly high end systems. You expect compromises. The gameplay looks like its intact, it looks fluid and fun. I think someone that only owns a Switch could still have a good time with this.

But yes, in general, the Switch is going to be the worst way to play games like this unless you're absolutely set on portability.

OP
OP
JigglesBunny

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So you're going to remove a video that shows the port not being as bad as you're suggesting so you can maintain the narrative that it's awful, even if there is evidence that shows otherwise?

Bruh.
I removed it to cut down on the "lol, obviously the Switch is not as powerful as the PS5" comments which were clearly missing the point of the thread. The SwitchUp video details the shortcomings of the port AND offers comparisons to the PC version. I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm merely specifying that the issue is not "this sucks compared to the PS4 version running on a PS5," it's "this sucks because it's a clunky, poorly performing port of a game."
You should know an OP's intentions when it opens like this:
I mean, I made a thread about Cloudpunk's terrible Switch port which that quote and this thread's title are in reference to. Not really some sort of hidden agenda here. Nice try at a "gotcha" though.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I removed it to cut down on the "lol, obviously the Switch is not as powerful as the PS5" comments which were clearly missing the point of the thread. The SwitchUp video details the shortcomings of the port AND offers comparisons to the PC version. I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm merely specifying that the issue is not "this sucks compared to the PS4 version running on a PS5," it's "this sucks because it's a clunky, poorly performing port of a game."

But that's the thing - the video you removed had the person talking over it suggest that it plays fine. :/