• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Now that Dustforce got #35 on our 101 Essential Platformers List, now's as good a time as any to shill the hell out of it.

Dustforce is a precision platformer with a heavy emphasis on momentum, and a nice dose of input buffering and reflex timing required to clear some of the game's later levels. It's a platform unlike really anything else out there - it's almost like if you designed a platformer around fighting game inputs, including wave dashing. There's a very heavy emphasis on speedrunning, as upon clearing a level, not only will you receive a ranking depending on how well you did in the level - the game's main objectives are to clean every speck of dust, grime, or slime in a level without getting hit, as quickly as possible, without breaking your "combo" - as well a replay of your run will automatically get uploaded to the game's servers for everyone else to view for themselves.

Naturally, due to the game's grueling skill ceiling, runs can get pretty intense - what helps prevent everything from getting out of hand is the games incredible art direction, as well as Lifeformed's phenomenal soundtrack:

Matthewmatosis did an excellent video on the game, going over what makes the whole thing stand out. He does a much better job than I ever will explaining what makes the game so unique:

Don't let this game sweep you by. The game will run on any PC from the last 5 years, more or less, and it's currently $5 on Steam:

Seriously, while the game has its fair share of fans - it's criminally overlooked for the game's quality. Give it a try!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Bonus: here's the player-made "advanced tutorial" - some of the later stages that were released after the game originally came out were designed with some of these tricks in mind, especially spikejumping!

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Best soundtrack of all time imo. Those tracks fit so well with the flow of the game and are just a joy to listen to every time.

I got this in a Humble Bundle like 10 years ago in college and played the shit out of it. Shame there was never a sequel

OP
OP
Theswweet

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Best soundtrack of all time imo. Those tracks fit so well with the flow of the game and are just a joy to listen to every time.

I got this in a Humble Bundle like 10 years ago in college and played the shit out of it. Shame there was never a sequel

They've been working on Spire since forever ago, but last I heard development has been paused - it's a shame, it seemed really promising.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
I bought it the month it came out and I S-ranked every level that was in the game at the time, except for that one bonus level that gives you an achievement. I haven't played it much since and while I did briefly try out the DX upgrade, I don't know specifically what was changed or added aside from the revamped hub area. But I have always looked at Dustforce with the utmost reverence. It somewhat saddens me that it doesn't pop up in conversations very much anymore, because it deserves to be ranked among the all-time greatest 2D platformers.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I bought it a looooooong time ago and thought I gave it a fair shake, but decided I was too tired of precision platforming at the time due to Super Meat Boy (and V++) and Dustforce didn't hook me with its version of the genre.

Now, I'm thinking it may simply have been burnout and I didn't truly give the game a fair shake.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I remember being interested when it released but I think the PS4 port was not great. Anyone know if they patched the performance issues?

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
It never came out on PS4 - it's on PS3, 360, and Vita. All of them are 30FPS, whereas the PC version supports unlocked framerates.
Yeah, I just looked it up and saw this. The game is older than I remember. I thought it came out about three or four years ago but I guess it was more like 8 years ago.