• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you using headphones?

• Yes!

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nov 1, 2017
I use a pair of HyperX Cloud II headphones. Any recommendation for a PS4 DAC/AMP in the. <$100 range?
Honestly, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement by using a dedicated DAC/Amp with those particular cans. They don't really require much of a drive to see their full potential. It obviously doesn't hurt to improve the source though. So, if you're sticking with them, any affordable DAC with decent reviews (most of them) should be up to the task.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
So I've basically got the choice between a solid 5.1 setup (cost a few grand) or an open pair of Sennheiser HD800, which would you say is better to go with?
As good as your Sennheisers are, more discrete channels > less discrete channels.

It's funny how in your defence of your expensive system that you have to resort to calling people fools to justify it.

Maybe you just prefer surround sound and need justification for your purchase, then so be it. At the end it's up to you on what you use.
There's nothing to defend, or justify, when discussing a multi-speaker, multiple driver array, full-power sound system against a pair of cans.

In your OP you said:
The work they have done feels better than any DOlby Atmos speaker set up
You set the stage with this statement, not me.

At the end of the day, a binaural audio technique, such as that used in TLOU2 or Hellblade, is still coming out of only 2 speakers. It has the ability to mimic sound in a 3D space, but it's still parlor tricks, far from perfect, and a far cry from having discrete channels produce the sound source. That's not opinion, that's just the nature of the technology.

Is virtual surround a fascinating and interesting solution? Sure, but your whole case is based upon premise that it is better than multi-speaker arrangements that process sound in a 3D space to a much better degree of accuracy. And that's not even factoring in dedicated drivers that are much much bigger than the mere inches (or less) of drivers in headphones.

For a game that is focused on binaural audio experience which has a core game mechanic of "listen mode" and that headphones can deliver the most accurate audio signature without interference from environmental factors?
I assure you, anything from a cheap Panasonic home-theater-in-a-box to a complete Bowers & Wilkins discrete surround system can also be free of external environmental interference.

Considering looking at what the majority of what people have said in this thread, form the polls - which even surprised me on how many people were using headphones and the fact that Sony is going about next gen audio is saying a lot for the usage of headphones.
Ah, there it is: the motive.

Headphones are a convenient solution for a myriad of different scenarios over a dedicated surround sound system, but that hardly supports the far-flung conclusion you've come to.
Seems like a good place to ask this,

I've got a 5.1.2 setup with two front height speakers for atmos. The game is recognizing my system as a 7.1 with surround side and rear speaks when really I've only got rear surround. Should I switch the settings to a 5.1 or leave it as 7.1 for the best experience?
Only count your ear-level speakers in this configuration. You have a 5.1 setup, not a 7.1, so adjust your PS4 accordingly.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I always do. I just hate that I can't control the volume of my set with the dongle. The system volume control is the weakest shit ive ever seen and I have no clue as to how it was OK'd

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Actually, it looks like the HyperX Cloud II USB to 3.5mm sound
Honestly, I don't think you'll see much of an improvement by using a dedicated DAC/Amp with those particular cans. They don't really require much of a drive to see their full potential. It obviously doesn't hurt to improve the source though. So, if you're sticking with them, any affordable DAC with decent reviews (most of them) should be up to the task.
Yeah, I am planning to upgrade the cans once I move into a new house next month. I did just find out that the PS4 now supports the USB to 3.5mm soundcard for the Cloud II's, so I can just use that instead of audio via the controller! Hopefully that improves the audio quality a bit!

Thanks!

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
No headphone jack on my monitor apparently lol. Never noticed before, I typically have them plugged into my computer.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
If this was the case then many professional gamers are fools for using headphones to pinpoint enemy locations . /s
I feel like people coming in here saying surround have never used headphones for games designed around headphones. Are you saying that a a game of CS:GO that is so sound dependent that a 7.1 surround sound system is more accurate than headphones? lol

I think multiplayer gaming is a whole different beast. I only use my A50s for multiplayer. It's more convenient but I don't think it actually sounds better. I don't even find it more immersive. Headphones are right there on your ear so it's best for hearing foot steps and other subtle sounds. It kind of reminds me of how people drop their graphics on PC for higher frames because it's competitive and that's what matters. For a single player or cinematic game I'd always prefer true 5.1 though. Accurate bass and the surround sound is a lot better when properly distributed between 5 channels vs virtually through 2. Plus the sound stage is unmatched with a proper surround setup. Crank that receiver up and get immersed.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I will be playing with the PS Gold headset set to U4 preload with VSS and 7.1 enabled. I have a midrange 5.1 dolby/dts SS system, however I feel that sometimes the music is too low or the sfx(like swinging a sword) is too low. Front speakers play background sounds at a lower volume like a waterfall than back speakers. Also, I only play at night so with living in building plus a baby sleeping at night, headset is the only way to go.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No shit? Is this true for home theater use as well?
Of course.

In situations where Dolby Digital and DTS are your only options, DTS is the better choice since it is more than double the bitrate of DD. Dolby Digital is honestly terrible in 2020, lossy as fuck.

Granted this is original Dolby Digital and vanilla DTS I'm talking about here. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are both lossless formats. Those are usually what you find on Blu-ray discs.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
I don't have anything but 3.5mm plug-in headphones. Am I already dead? Are there settings I can adjust for my setup?

Coothman

Oct 28, 2017
Yes for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and DTS, but no for Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA.
Of course.

In situations where Dolby Digital and DTS are your only options, DTS is the better choice since it is more than double the bitrate of DD. Dolby Digital is honestly terrible in 2020, lossy as fuck.

Granted this is original Dolby Digital and vanilla DTS I'm talking about here. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio are both lossless formats. Those are usually what you find on Blu-ray discs.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be changing my settings imminently.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
OK, I got the Sony gold headphones (can't really justify spending more than 100€ on a headset rn) and the upgrade from my 10€ in-ears is immense.
Totally worth it.

The headset will most likely work wireless with the PS5 right??

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting occasional cracking and light pops in my Platinum headset, which is annoying. I'm definitely not buying a new one since I'll have the PS5 Pulses in a few months.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course.

digital foundry says the game supports LPCM 7.1 surround sound and sounds amazing

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm rocking the Platinum with the Uncharted 4 profile. The 3D audio is sublime. Can't wait to play more.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
My speakers are more than up to the task. Dont think even my headphones can keep up.

Dee Harp

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I have the platinum', But I also have a full Dolby Atmos Speaker set up with High End Definitive Technology speakers. My Surround sound is better Then any headphones and the game sounds amazing. People please don't play videogames on TV speakers it is disrespectful to the developers. Plus you are missing out on the experience.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the platinum', But I also have a full Dolby Atmos Speaker set up with High End Definitive Technology speakers. My Surround sound is better Then any headphones and the game sounds amazing. People please don't play videogames on TV speakers it is disrespectful to the developers. Plus you are missing out on the experience.
THIS GOES FOR ANY GAME that supports surround sound/ movie/tv show un less a trash mix

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
I got a pair of Sennheiser 58x Jubilees, I'm going to hook it up to my HyperX usb amp and hopefully this will be a good enough sound experience.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I play basically everything with the controller headphone jack, don't have another option. I have some basic Sennheiser headphones, about $100 pair I think.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
Eh, I've found I prefer my regular old 2.0 speaker system above any headphones I've tried. It's not super high end, but $150 in speakers had proven better for me than $200 in headphones.

I really need to just get a sub and a center channel speaker already though.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I don't get this new love for headphones when gaming... I have a surround sound system and don't want to use headphone when gaming on a console...

I had a great 5.1 system too. Headphones offer an even more immersive experience than that, especially if you go 3D audio. Instead of around you you also get above and below etc. It's quite ear opening the first time you try it.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
I'm gonna use my Platinums in Wireless Mode.

I've tried a Logitech G633 plugged directly into the PS4 and the sound was bad. I'm using it on the PC with a Creative ZXR, it sing´s there, even being a medium low quality headset.

It's quite hard to find good DAC's in Brazil, the prices are very high, and basically you can only find Fiio's.

I also have a Sony WH-1000XM3, but it's bluetooth only. Tried connecting with a usb cable, didn't work.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
i generally just plug my headphones (philips fidelio x2) into my AV receiver (yamaha rx-v377 i think) which is getting LPCM surround audio from all my devices, but i'm never sure whether it'd be better to set the in-game audio options to 5.1 and let the receiver downmix it to stereo, or set the in-game option to stereo

I usually leave everything at 5.1 and let the receiver handle it but i kinda always wonder if i'm doing it wrong

I only use my V-Moda MX100's when it's really late or really early. I also plug directly into my Yamaha RX-781. Plugging into controller is simply not something I'd consider.

The vast majority of the time I use my 5.1.2 Atmos setup. For PS4 I often use the Dolby Surround Mixer. On XB1X I just leave it with no processing for Atmos.

Only time I've used headphones over my home theater was with Senua's Sacrifice. I think it has a unique use case for headphones.

EDIT: I"m also really disappointed with PS5's headphone > soundbar (ugh) > home theater priority for Tempest. I'm concerned the platform I will have to stick with DSU or DTS:X Neural for the height channels. Hopefully I am wrong and Sony can pass height via PCM.

Oct 25, 2017
The Cyclone State
I have the Plantronics RIG 700 Atmos headphones but they are for Xbox One. Outside of that I have Bluetooth Microsoft Surface headphones, HyperX Cloud Alphas, a Vizio Atmos soundbar with rear speakers, or a regular set of AKG cans somewhere with a small amp.

Which out of those is the best idea?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a great 5.1 system too. Headphones offer an even more immersive experience than that, especially if you go 3D audio. Instead of around you you also get above and below etc. It's quite ear opening the first time you try it.
WIth a distorted, lower fidelity experience. With "3D audio" the directionality is there, but it sounds like shit. Someone earlier compared it to lowering all settings in a PC shooter to maximize your FPS. I think that's apt. It's something you do for competitive games where the quality of the actual A/V experience isn't the priority. 3D audio gives you an edge in multiplayer shooters, so you don't care that it sounds like every effect has been processed through an echo chamber.

For a single player game, that's not the case. I want the best possible A/V experience. Even with headphones, that means the dedicated stereo track.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im using my gold On ps4 I like it. And steelseries arctis 1 on Xbox one.
I wanted to buy a platinum on PS4 but il Kuwait official ps5 headset

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will be playing with the PS Gold headset set to U4 preload with VSS and 7.1 enabled. I have a midrange 5.1 dolby/dts SS system, however I feel that sometimes the music is too low or the sfx(like swinging a sword) is too low. Front speakers play background sounds at a lower volume like a waterfall than back speakers. Also, I only play at night so with living in building plus a baby sleeping at night, headset is the only way to go.

7.1?

I'm using the Platinum headset with Uncharted 4 profile and the game says Stereo 2.0ch headphones.