• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I am, but honestly, it makes me kind of uneasy - I feel like I'm now more valuable dead than alive.
Just make sure that you never get a bounty on your head. If a respective bounty hunter knows about you being a donor, they could be incentivized by a local hospital to bring you in (brain) dead.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Nothing pisses me off more than people who think being an organ donor puts you on some hit list or doctors won't save you.

Organ donor status should be the default in America.

That drives me nuts as well... you don't hear it much anymore... but that "argument" rears it's head in weird places.

I won't pretend to understand the intricacies of how an organ goes to the donor, and the process... but the belief that it's some organized system and that doctors and EMTs are out there waiting to snatch organs from otherwise save-able people is flat out insane. Anyone that says it should be called out for their insanity.

All my family and friends have my orders to firesale my body when I go... if I have the chance to donate every piece of me, take it... eyes, heart, kidneys... all of it!

Feb 1, 2018
I'm considering doing it, because the concept of being recycled and scrapped like an old phone or computer scratches my sci fi itch

My liver is pretty worthless tho

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Finland you have to opt-out of being a donor. So, I am a donor already.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a donor. I plan on using my still-living organs as a tether to return as a ghost to haunt the living.

...or just chill on the couch and watch daytime TV. Either or works for me.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
xztZxTy.png

NOT THIS TIME, SATAN

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
They just changed it to opt-out in the Netherlands, and I don't see anyone opting out outisde of some niche religious crowd and some paranoid old people.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of religion what is the rationale for not being a donor?

I don't have first hand experience but I don't imagine you get much use of them once you are dead.
A person at my work has said they don't want to be one because they are scared that hospitals will let them die if they are ever in their care so they can harvest their organs for someone else.

Yeah, don't ask me.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
I already am. It's opt-out in Spain. It's really ingrained into us too, culturally speaking. I don't know how it happened, but it is.

SVHOxGf.png

US rates are really good considering it's opt-in.
Seems a lot of Europe has an opt-out system, but most of the rates are still worse or just barely better compared to the US's rates.

So nearly the same amount of people go through the extra effort to manually opt-out of it. Strange, I wouldn't have expected that.

I wonder if the US changed to opt-in if the US would get Spain like numbers or if the numbers would stay nearly the same like those other European countries.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I am, although I did opt out of whole-body donation for use as a cadaver. But anything else goes.

buyS86q.jpg

They need to do something to improve the rates - something like 90% of Canadians support organ donation but a pathetic ~20% are registered.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I am by default. Feels nice that in case of my death my remains can help people in need.