• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Here in America, I have never once heard someone unironically pronounce tomato like the second example in this verse. I assume some people in maybe europe do? Do you pronounce it that way? How about Potato?

As many have pointed out, tom-ah-to is the standard British pronunciation. I've only ever heard North Americans pronounce the word differently.

The original musical in which this song appeared is about a romance between a ballet dancer played by Fred Astaire and a tap dancer played by Ginger Rogers. They move in different social circles. In the early twentieth century the American upper classes had a different accent from many common people, particularly in the East. You still hear it in early talkies, say, Katherine Hepburn's upper class New England accent. Or Margaret Dumont in Duck Soup and other Marx Brothers films where she's a foil to Groucho's wisecracking New York City swindler. This accent has more or less died out now.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Your posts are all over the place. You just conflated class with "british" when there are british people in this thread telling you that the common british person doesn't pronounce things this way.

In fact, let me just cut to the chase: are you british?
They do... read your thread (some even say standard British). Some say Toh-Mah-toe, not Poh-Tah-Toe though.
And yes, upperclass talked more British. In the '30's.

I'm not British. And in "Europe" there are different languages. No country calles it Toh-Mah-Toe except maybe some people in the UK.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They do... read your thread. Some say Toh-Mah-toe, not Poh-Tah-Toe though.
And yes, upperclass talked more British. In the '30's.

the entire premise of this thread is asking if people in europe currently use the second pronunciations in the song. Being like "oh well in the 1930's..." is ignoring the point of the thread. I'm not oblivious to where the song came from.

Again: Are you british?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
the entire premise of this thread is asking if people in europe currently use the second pronunciations in the song. Being like "oh well in the 1930's..." is ignoring the point of the thread. I'm not oblivious to where the song came from.

Just a side note that I find curious: I've never met a single person from the UK who called themselves British.

It's English, Irish, Scotish, or Welsh.

I wonder how this became a thing in the US.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017

No because people don't talk English in Europe. Just in the UK. There are different countries with different languages. We say Toh-Maaaht (tomaat) in The Netherlands. We speak Dutch.
I'm not British.

As some british people answered: YES THEY DO.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well then you probably shouldn't be replying like this then:

Does that mean that no British people say it

As though you were making more than just an inference

To some of it. They also all replied NO THEY DON'T to the second half of the refrain. Hence the question. Hence the topic. The OP explicitly asks about both Tomato and Potato.

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or do you do selective reading only?

I've yet to hear a British person say "poe tah toe"
I have never heard a British person say "Poh-Tah-Toe" unless in reference to the song OP is referring to.
The brits don't normally say poe tay toe either, unless i'm just not hearing it correctly.
It's more puh tay toe i think.

Selective Reading, you say?

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's all about potato. Not tomato.

Well let's just go back to the beginning of this quote tree and see exactly what we were talking about then...

U.S.A. vs British.... I mean, you knew this, right?

there are british people ITT saying they don't say po-tah-to

Does that mean that no British people say it or said it that way?

.... and so forth. Well jee golly we've actually been talking about Potato this entire time.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
ABducNg.gif

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Jesus wept, it's all in reference to a really old song called Let's Call the Whole Thing Off.

We just need a version sung by Zack Galifianakis and Robert Redford

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Maybe in the '30-s? Still, the song is about difference in class. Higher class talked more British-english i guess.
Poe tah- toe might be made up as a variety on to-mah-toe.

As this is a comic song I agree that it could well simply be an exaggeration for comic effect and rhyme.

Some people, even British people, have a hard time distinguishing those posh accents and New England accents from British English. They're very clearly home grown, though. They're as American as any other accent.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Reminds me of this:

Also

I'm wondering actually, for all you guys native English speakers from outside of NZ, when you hear those guys say Bret or dead, do you actually can't tell the difference between Bret and Brit/dead and did? Or does the pronunciation just sound funny enough to trip you up if you're not listening closely?

I learnt English in NZ so these sounds sound very distinct to my ear, but I'm wondering how other people perceive them.

Mar 29, 2018
there are british people ITT saying they don't say po-tah-to
You asked about tomato

Which is "tom-ah-to" for literally everyone in the UK.

Case closed.

Edit: lol you're going after "potato" as if it's the same thing. No, it's a completely different word.

Take a chill pill and rest assured tomato/tomato is a US/British English discrepancy.

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do Americans say FEH-BYOO-RY you're missing an 'R' you silly geese!

FEBRUARY

Listen to the British, they know what's up (well, outside of the EU).

Mar 29, 2018
OK fair.

Answer: they're two completely different words.

How do you pronounce "sweat"? Like sweh-t, right?

How do you pronounce "meat"? Like "mee-t" right?

Wow! Look at that. Two words with the same spelled vowel group ("ea") are pronounced completely differently. Wowie!

Potato happens to be the same in both accents. Tomato happens to be different in both accents. There are hundreds - thousands of examples of this. There's really nothing too exciting about it (except for the fact that, of course, language is endlessly exciting and fascinating).

OP
OP

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK fair.

Answer: they're two completely different words.

How do you pronounce "sweat"? Like sweh-t, right?

How do you pronounce "meat"? Like "mee-t" right?

Wow! Look at that. Two words with the same spelled vowel group ("ea") are pronounced completely differently. Wowie!

Potato happens to be the same in both accents. Tomato happens to be different in both accents. There are hundreds - thousands of examples of this. There's really nothing too exciting about it (except for the fact that, of course, language is endlessly exciting and fascinating).

Second time in this thread you've missed your mark. This topic is in reference to a song which implies people elsewhere pronounce Potato in english differently than it's pronounced in the US. That's what I'm asking, does anybody actually do that. That's all. People are coming in saying, no, potato basically has one english pronunciation world-wide.

Oct 27, 2017
🎶You say to-may-to,
I say to-mah-to,
We both say po-tay-to,
Who the fuck says Po-tah-to. 🎶

The serious answer is nobody pronounces it Po-tah-to, they just put it in the song because it works with the meter and rhyme. It's a schnitzel with noodles situation. Anyway artistic license and all that.

Last edited:

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Just a side note that I find curious: I've never met a single person from the UK who called themselves British.

It's English, Irish, Scotish, or Welsh.

I wonder how this became a thing in the US.

It depends on the context. I have British nationality but I was born in England. If I'm discussing things with Welsh or Scottish people it sometimes makes sense to identify myself as English. There are also a few cases where I'm specifically talking about matters pertaining to England in particular (subtleties of law and governance, geography and food culture, for instance). Then I'll say England and English. In a broader international context, though, these nuances fade compared with the larger distinctions between independent nations. That's why I often call myself British. In the two minority nations, Wales and Scotland, cultural identity is easily submerged so Welsh and Scots are more likely to identify themselves as such. It's a bit strange in Northern Ireland, because cultural identity and geography conspire to make Northern Irish quite unique. Technically that isn't Britain, though it is part of the UK.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Second time in this thread you've missed your mark. This topic is in reference to a song which implies people elsewhere pronounce Potato in english differently than it's pronounced in the US. That's what I'm asking, does anybody actually do that. That's all. People are coming in saying, no, potato basically has one english pronunciation world-wide.
The thread was about tomato untill you made it about just potato.

The difference between the two has been explained a couple of times.

Mar 29, 2018
Nowhere in the title or OP do you mention the song. Most people understand the phrase as an aphorism these days, which is how I took it - the song long forgotten.

I've never heard the full song, including the "potato" part. Which is clearly just a humorous addition, because it has no basis on actual pronunciation patterns.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Take the word 'martyr'. US folk might hit that t like a d, but it doesn't matter because we're gonna get rid of it, leaving the 'mar' and a short 'er'. US folk may also want to get that r in there a bit, but that's no good. Leave that out. So, 'martyr', no r sound, no 't', and the 'er' is real short, like the e in 'the'. Add a basic t sound to the front and you've got a good tomato. You *can* get the second t in there, for properness's sake, but if you do it must be an actual t, nothing like a d.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering actually, for all you guys native English speakers from outside of NZ, when you hear those guys say Bret or dead, do you actually can't tell the difference between Bret and Brit/dead and did? Or does the pronunciation just sound funny enough to trip you up if you're not listening closely?

I learnt English in NZ so these sounds sound very distinct to my ear, but I'm wondering how other people perceive them.
For me, I knew what was being said, and got the joke instantly (about characters not understanding), but I think New Zealand accents are a little closer to British English that I'm used to than it is American English, and I've seen a few other New Zealand movies/TV shows prior to seeing FOTC.

Dead does sound a lot like Did to my ear, but you can infer which it's meant to be by context mostly in that scene.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm slightly surprised given there is video evidence of Gordon Ramsay saying to MAH toe that he's saying it po TAY toe here. I would be more surprised were it not for this thread.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
We could go back to love apples. Surely there is no weird British way of pronouncing "love" or "apple"??