• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's a TV series sequel to Love, Simon and it's better in every way imaginable.

love-victor.jpg

I don't want to spoil too much, but it's about a gay/curious HIspanic half-Colombian half-Puerto Rican boy who moves from Texas with his conservative family to Simon's high school after Simon graduates. He starts texting Simon for advice on how to handle his life, which includes trouble and friction with his conservative hispanic family as he discovers who he is, and navigating love with his crush while dating a girl at school. The themes and struggles are very relatable (I say this as a married gay Hispanic man from Texas who went through pretty much the same story as this show) and it feels like finally a show that represents what my coming of age experience was like. And it has some amazing teachable moments about LGBTQ diversity that I won't spoil

Also I love love LOVE the representation in this one.

If you loved Love, Simon, you'll adore Love, Victor. It's 10 episodes and released on Hulu today!

DON'T SLEEP ON THIS LIKE YOU DID HARLOTS, ERA

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This was a disappointment. Show focuses way too much on Victor/Mia and peripheral heterosexuals. It's so damn boring. Not downplaying the ~questioning your sexuality~ subject matter, because I'm sure that some homosexual kids go through something like that, but it didn't make for an interesting watch for me as an adult.

If they increase the gay by 1000% then I MIGHT watch next season. MIGHT.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was a very charming show, a nice teen drama and
the arc of Victor coming to terms with himself culminating in going to New York and meeting Simon etc. was nice but I felt absolutely broken for Mia most of the way through it.
Way better than the movie, they really took the criticisms to heart and addressed them. I was really really pleased with it and I hope that a second season gets greenlit as there are lots of loose ends and I'd like to spend more time with these characters.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two episodes in and I quite adore it so far. I'm so glad to see this thread, honestly I was kind of waiting for it here.

Love Simon is an immensely important movie to me. It reflects the kind of coming out I had: where my anxieties weren't necessarily from extreme external intolerance but internal conflict, fear, and a good bit of self-hate. It's also the movie me and my boyfriend watched the night we first expressed feelings for each other. Understandably I love that movie dearly and was so excited to see what the show would be.

And I think it's a brilliant call that they deliberately try to tell a different kind of queer story here. One that deliberately calls out Simon's (and admittedly my own) coming out experience has having certain privileges not everyone has in their lives. Victor's family being more conservative and less potentially receptive to a gay child, mixed with his own attempt to pursue a straight relationship in a storm of a sexuality that isn't firmly in any one place is a brilliant move. It addresses more potential gay experiences for gay men to see themselves in and hopefully find comfort.

It's also absolutely a corny and occasionally over the top teen rom-com show, in a vein Love, Simon was too. The one gif/video clip of the guy saying "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" comes to mind a lot. And honestly, PERFECT. Queer people, and in this case queer men, and queer men of color at that, deserve to have those cliche moments in media where a hot character enters the scene in slow motion to a blaring soundtrack. I love that this is finally a place where gay men might see themselves in media like this.

I'm really excited to keep watching and see how the Mia/Benji potentials progress. From my own struggles with my sexuality I hope it continues to be messy and scary and real- that's what it feels like and I love seeing it in a reasonably big new show. Can't wait to see more!

Also hearing Simon's voice at the end of the first episode legitimately made me tear up. While that movie is very tied into my own personal life, it reminded me how necessary these stories are: emotional, thoughtful, realistic gay characters we can associate with trying their best to find love like anyone.

Last edited:

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ep3 Update:
Of course the song Benji and Victor dance to is a Carly Rae Jepsen song. This show ain't half bad in knowing it's gay touchstones. The acoustic cover at the end is quite something too.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I'm two episodes in and I quite adore it so far. I'm so glad to see this thread, honestly I was kind of waiting for it here.

Love Simon is an immensely important movie to me. It reflects the kind of coming out I had: where my anxieties weren't necessarily from extreme external intolerance but internal conflict, fear, and a good bit of self-hate. It's also the movie me and my boyfriend watched the night we first expressed feelings for each other. Understandably I love that movie dearly and was so excited to see what the show would be.

And I think it's a brilliant call that they deliberately try to tell a different kind of queer story here. One that deliberately calls out Simon's (and admittedly my own) coming out experience has having certain privileges not everyone has in their lives. Victor's family being more conservative and less potentially receptive to a gay child, mixed with his own attempt to pursue a straight relationship in a storm of a sexuality that isn't firmly in any one place is a brilliant move. It addresses more potential gay experiences for gay men to see themselves in and hopefully find comfort.

It's also absolutely a corny and occasionally over the top teen rom-com show, in a vein Love, Simon was too. The one gif/video clip of the guy saying "I know writers who use subtext and they're all cowards" comes to mind a lot. And honestly, PERFECT. Queer people, and in this case queer men, and queer men of color at that, deserve to have those cliche moments in media where a hot character enters the scene in slow motion to a blaring soundtrack. I love that this is finally a place where gay men might see themselves in media like this.

I'm really excited to keep watching and see how the Mia/Benji potentials progress. From my own struggles with my sexuality I hope it continues to be messy and scary and real- that's what it feels like and I love seeing it in a reasonably big new show. Can't wait to see more!

Also hearing Simon's voice at the end of the first episode legitimately made me tear up. While that movie is very tied into my own personal life, it reminded me how necessary these stories are: emotional, thoughtful, realistic gay characters we can associate with trying their best to find love like anyone.

This is precisely how I felt, but just wait, it gets even better.

Ep4ish spoilers
Yeah that Carly Rae acoustic piece was adorable and as a gay man myself, hit all the crush cues

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, wasn't this supposed to be on Disney+? We don't have Hulu here in the UK, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Netflix or Amazon pick it up.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the whole thing yesterday.

The ending is some straight up bullshit. The way that shot is framed plus no reaction shots from Victor's family means they are 100% having that only play out in his head.

The whole last episode just felt kinda rushed, and honestly the whole season has pacing issues, but it was overall decent.

Dank Lotion

Oct 27, 2017
Binged it in two days and I LOVED it.

I loved how they took their time with him coming to terms with his sexuality. It was very relatable to me since I pretty much went through the same thing (freshman year of college though lol). Thank GOD he actually came out to his parents in the end. I would've been livid if they ended it with the news about his parents separating.

Most of the side-characters were good. I loved both of the BFFs. Does the one girl who plays Mia's friend have some sort of deal with having a role on LGBT shows? She was the little girl from "The New Normal" and "The Real O'Neals" and now this. Just thought that was funny. I even kind of liked the sub-plot with Mia's dad and GF.

Really hope this gets at least one more season. Honestly, I'm not even sure if it NEEDS more than two seasons. Next season can revolve around how his family handles the news, his new relationship with B and reconciling with Mia.

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is precisely how I felt, but just wait, it gets even better.

Ep4ish spoilers
Yeah that Carly Rae acoustic piece was adorable and as a gay man myself, hit all the crush cues

Oh absolutley

Ep4 spoilers
The Carly Rae Jepsen stuff was excellent and hearing CRJ in a scene with two queer guys is basically perfect. Someone in that writing room gets gay culture.

Wait, wasn't this supposed to be on Disney+? We don't have Hulu here in the UK, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Netflix or Amazon pick it up.

It was supposed to be on Disney+ but was deemed not "family-friendly" enough for the service so they moved it to hulu.

attitude.co.uk

Love, Simon series reportedly pulled from Disney+ over so-called 'adult themes'

The Love, Simon TV series has been pulled from Disney Plus because it's not 'family friendly'.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, this was the series that was 'too adult' for Disney+ right?

Glad to hear it's good apparently, I liked Love, Simon a lot.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
This was a disappointment. Show focuses way too much on Victor/Mia and peripheral heterosexuals. It's so damn boring. Not downplaying the ~questioning your sexuality~ subject matter, because I'm sure that some homosexual kids go through something like that, but it didn't make for an interesting watch for me as an adult.

If they increase the gay by 1000% then I MIGHT watch next season. MIGHT.
Is it Love, Simon and Looking levels of boring?

Oct 28, 2017

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I shouldn't be too surprised given that it's Disney, but still, that's extremely disappointing.

I don't necessarily agree with the decision but I don't think it's strictly because it's LGBT+ content. If I give them the benefit of the doubt, there's literally an entire episode about two of the lead characters trying to amp themselves up to have sex and it's a big plot point. A character blurts out "vagina" in the punchline to a joke. Do I agree with it? I don't know. But I'm not sure I would put it on there if I was making the decision either with the criteria they set for it.

Then again, they should have put Simpsons on Hulu as well if they were going to be consistent about this. So who knows, maybe it is sadly the bigoted POV instead.

I'm just glad it exists at all, tbh.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I don't necessarily agree with the decision but I don't think it's strictly because it's LGBT+ content. If I give them the benefit of the doubt, there's literally an entire episode about two of the lead characters trying to amp themselves up to have sex and it's a big plot point. A character blurts out "vagina" in the punchline to a joke. Do I agree with it? I don't know. But I'm not sure I would put it on there if I was making the decision either with the criteria they set for it.

Then again, they should have put Simpsons on Hulu as well if they were going to be consistent about this. So who knows, maybe it is sadly the bigoted POV instead.

I'm just glad it exists at all, tbh.
There are movies with beheadings on Disney+, yet two characters amping up to have consensual sex isn't family friendly?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are movies with beheadings on Disney+, yet two characters amping up to have consensual sex isn't family friendly?

Wait which movie is that? Holy shit lol, yeah they're not consistent that's what I meant with the Simpsons stuff

Yeah I'm not saying I agree with it but I understand how they could come to that decision without it being just about the fact that it has LGBT+ themes, especially with the "won't somebody please think of the children" attitude some - particularly in the US - have.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Wait which movie is that? Holy shit lol, yeah they're not consistent that's what I meant with the Simpsons stuff
Avengers: Endgame and Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith both feature decapitations, Star Wars: The Last Jedi has a dude beind graphically cut in half and of course, every Marvel and Star Wars film contain lots of violent scenes (and some casual military propaganda in a lot of Marvel stuff). But apparently that's totally okay for kids.

I honestly feel that Love, Victor probably would've been on Disney+ if it was about straight relationships.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it :)

I watched the whole thing yesterday.

The ending is some straight up bullshit. The way that shot is framed plus no reaction shots from Victor's family means they are 100% having that only play out in his head.

The whole last episode just felt kinda rushed, and honestly the whole season has pacing issues, but it was overall decent.

There's no reason to think that. Not to say it can't happen, but given how it played out in the birthday episode I firmly believe in it being real. I imagine the framing of the last shot was simply to see his expression—relief.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Halfway through. Its great, and I love how, unlike the movie, it touches on unaccepting relatives and the fact that Simon was, in some ways, lucky. Also the show has some good diversity.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
On the last ep. This show didn't get meaningful until almost the very end (ep 7 or 8). Spent way too much time on him "figuring it out" rather than him coming out, but I guess that's what season 2 will be for.

I enjoyed it though.

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
The acting is really questionable. Like sub-Lifetime Movie Network level.

But it's cute and the writing is a smidge more adventurous and spicy than the movie, so it's worth a watch.

Just make sure to support actual quality LGBTQ television...whenever quality LGBTQ television actually arrives. It's really the exclusive domain of film at the moment, unfortunately.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's been ok So far. Have 2 left to watch. Took a while to get where it needed to be and some of the reactions to things seemed rather questionable and other out of character.

Avengers: Endgame and Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith both feature decapitations, Star Wars: The Last Jedi has a dude beind graphically cut in half and of course, every Marvel and Star Wars film contain lots of violent scenes (and some casual military propaganda in a lot of Marvel stuff). But apparently that's totally okay for kids.

I honestly feel that Love, Victor probably would've been on Disney+ if it was about straight relationships.

You might be right but there was a lovely little short called Out they put on D+ recently that probably had as much "risky" stuff in it as Victor(so far) for me.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Spoiler Ep9

Benji moves store because a "straight" guy kissed him and he's super pissed. Is Benji even gay?! Most of the gays I know would have gotten off with Victor and would have loved every minute.
So rather than talk things out and show any understanding or support, he decides to just go. I found this incredibly stupid.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it today with my friend. Like some others said i didn't really get into it till near the end. But after that it was pretty cute.

I will say i didn't like how things turned out at the end but I guess Season 2 will clear things up more.

Contranova

Oct 26, 2017
NYC
It was fine, it's still a little white washed and they watered down the issues. But I'm glad they created it. I want them to address more serious matters like bullying, etc. Hopefully the fact that it's on hulu now would let them do that.

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got back around to the show and finished the last three episodes.

I really liked this first season overall. I think the ending is a great way to lead into what's next. I kind of love that this season wasn't trying to be about the whole coming out experience, it was deliberately about the initial confused phase where you may tell yourself "no I'm pretty into straight stuff, maybe I'm not gay at all!" And taking a full season to let that breathe, with all the back and forths that come with it was the right call. Seeing next season tackle the ramifications of being a newly-out queer guy is exciting and I look forward to the new dynamic!

The show continued to be utterly corny and over-the-top and hamfisted most of the time. Which is cool and fine and honestly I'm very here for finally having some fun hamfisted shows about queer teen life. Stuff like Pilar finding the letter to Benji and Mia being there just in time to see Victor and Benji kiss is a little eye-roll-y but that's some clicheness I can deal with.

All of that said... poor Mia. She's had the toughest go of it by far this season. I hope the next season brings some good resolution for her and Victor. Because honestly they made a pretty interesting move: what Victor did is straight up not cool to her. It's not just a situation of a misunderstanding. And it's extra complicated by his confusion of his sexuality but still. I hope they handle this in an at least slightly nuanced way.

Oh, and actually ending with the parents separation is a nice real touch. I felt the story was occasionally pushing them between the extremes of lovey-dovey happy couple and slightly paranoid and bickering too much. Settling on a kind of heavy and real conclusion for this season feels right and leaves some serious stuff to dig into next season.

Overall I really liked watching it! Hopeful for future seasons. While it doesn't beat Love Simon in my personal appreciation of it's story and performance I think it's a great extension of the series to tell more wonderful queer stories.