• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Would you rather read an article or watch a video?

• I'd rather look it up in an article/website

Votes: 170 83.7%
  • I'd rather watch a video on Youtube

Votes: 33 16.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I was talking with my cousin about this and I noticed that when I need help on something (tutorials, advice, reviews), I would rather read a website article instead of watching a youtube video on the same subject. To me the article is easier to get through and find the info that I need. with youtube videos you also have the obnoxious intros that take 2 minutes before getting into the actual subject.

My cousin however, goes to YouTube with any question he has and would rather watch a video for help. He says its easier to see what you need help with and hear the person explain it. I see the merits to it, but for me it comes down to getting the info as fast as possible.

Which would you rather do?

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what it is for. When fixing my car or doing home repairs, I usually want a video. For most other things, I'd prefer an article or walkthrough.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Videos always wind up being absurdly longer than they should be, so I always go with articles when given a choice

"How to fill an ice cube tray with water" - 2:42:48

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
Articles are far more helpful the majority of the time. I can't stand most tutorial videos. They just go off topic or take 5 minutes to explain something that text does in 10 seconds.

V23

Oct 27, 2017
Depends what it's for. A (moving) picture is worth a thousand words.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
If it's practical, video

Although for computer stuff I sometimes use video, because sometimes articles can be a little obtuse.

Although nothing is more annoying then typing in a 'YouTube guide' for a simple windows/computer problem and it's some guy with a bad mic fucking about for 15 minutes

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I used to prefer reading, but at my cooking game has improved so so much after I started watching cooking videos for recipes I want.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Video for physical hands on type stuff like with hardware modifications.

Article for software related or programming related.

Honestly I'm fine with both though.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Generally reading, but if it's something very visual, like how to install a PC part, then I'll definitely watch a video to make sure I'm doing it right.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
articles can be annoying because there's always like 3 or 4 paragraphs of intro before they get to the point.

DoughBoi

May 7, 2019
Depends. If what I need help with is more conceptual, then I will probably seek out written info. If it is an explicit task, then I will probably look up a video. My level of competence/understanding of a subject will also play a factor.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm depends on whether i have time. If i have to figure something out for work, text is better. Because you'll find technical terms you can google, examples you can stop and look at for more than two seconds, etc.

But if i have time and it's chill... yeah video is ok i guess.

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
I definitely prefer reading. I'm old now so having grown up reading rather than watching videos on the subject, I can't get past the habit.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Almost 90% of the stuff I needed help with something whether it was a game, something car related, tool related, software related, etc have all been a video on youtube.

Infact at my workplace , we're encouraged to look at videos of some things like how to take off a cover for a device/computer if we are not familiar with it or something like that - and yes it helped (especially when I started my first IT job for the first time lol).

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Video online, I find that articles tend to skip a step or make me go "Wait, the interface is different - " so looking at a video really helps me understand things better. I guess I'm just a visual learner lol

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A cooking-related tutorial or so? An article so I can skim faster, if it's YouTube it goes 2X.

However, if it's something I'm learning then directly to YT... at 1.75X.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Really, Really depends on the topic.

Using a silly example, if I wanted to learn how to tie a fancy tie knot, I'd watch a youtube video, because floating ghost-hands in still images and written instruction can sometimes be confusing or unclear.

But for learning how to like, Hack my 3DS? Article. 100% of the time.

If we are discussing like, being stuck in a game or wanting to learn a technique? 100% text. Screenshots aren't even necessary most of the time. Give me the HTML formatted GameFAQs guide any day over a rambling 14 minute long video that I'm gonna skip through a bunch anyway.

Same goes for Wiki articles. Autoplay video on Fandom-aligned wikis is awful. I hate it so much. Just give me the article in text, period.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Depends on what it is I need help with.

Something where I need to actually be physically doing something? Gimme a video so I can follow along. Anything else? Article, hopefully with pictures so I can make sure I'm doing it right.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
I find that if I'm completely clueless about something I like to watch a video with an expert who can really breakdown what's going on, if Im vaguely familiar what I need to do I want just the article so I can control F that bitch.

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Honestly I'll go to an article first more often than not, but videos can do some things a lot better, and most things only a bit worse than an article.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Read.

The only time I want to watch a video might be for something home improvement related, like say soldering something. For some reason I watched This Old House soldering videos today.

Or if I'm stuck. We got this stupid bumper gate for my toddlers twin bed andthe instructions were useless on how to truly attach it to the mattress and I went searching on youtube and found more useless videos.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I used to always want an article, with a video to supplement when needed. But I have found my self going straight to YouTube more and more. A lot of "How-To" articles are incomplete, out of date, and/or absolutely inundated with ads. YouTube has pretty good search ranking and I find the comments to be incredibly helpful in a lot cases.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Depends on how you learn best. Some learn better by reading while others learn better by observing.

I love reading, however if it's a repair for my cars or when I repaired my dryer, washing machine and over the range microwave I 100% went with videos.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd prefer articles but so many articles are shit that the video is the more efficient way to go.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
If its just to make a decision, I look up articles, if its to physically build or do something, I watch a video to see how its done.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Article is preferred, but I'll consult a video afterwards if I still don't understand.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
It really depends. If it's fixing/making something then gimme a video.

video games, cooking, general knowledge, I prefer text

OP
OP

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017

lmao

If this aint the truth

here's how it goes, at least for tech related stuff.

*quick intro explaining the content of vid*

*overly produced intro*

*restating what the vid is about*

*sponsors/referral link*

*finally getting into the content of vid*

*but first backstory on the company, product, basic info*

*FINALLY getting to the point*

*outro, subscribe for more blah blah*

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
For skills (how to unclog my garbage disposal, change the thing that broke in the toilet, whatever) - video
For knowledge (macros for diet, keto, exercise regimens) - article

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the topic and task at hand.

I prefer reading something like Ifixit for repairing a laptop over a video which I would need to pause from time to time. Same is true for something else with many detailed steps.

For other stuff, a video might be easier.