• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ScaryDoor.0.jpg

Devotion is a masterpiece.

As a fan of horror games, what Devotion does with the premise, characters and limited scenery can't be easily topped. Do you want a game that talks about how family can be often the worst enemy? There you have it. Do you want a game that even if it has jumpscares, the worst comes from the atmosphere of the game? Here you go.

Do you want a game that not only understood pieces like P.T. and develeped them into new avenues and improved in some ways? That was Devotion.

And it seems that, as right now, you won't able to play it anymore.

I won't bother to talk about what happened and why it happened, but if you ever have a chance to play it, even if it's for a moment, don't hestitate, and play what is for me the game of the year.
It may hit closer to home that you may expect.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
It sucks to say it but the only way to play this game now is to download it from elsewhere. What a shame.

Last edited:

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like the games publisher had their business license lost for comparing the Chinese president as Winnie the Pooh for those who were wondering.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I won't bother to talk about what happened and why it happened, but if you ever have a chance to play it, even if it's for a moment, don't hestitate, and play what is for me the game of the year.
It may hit closer to home that you may expect.

Lmao with that thread title you absolutely do.

what a tease

Toilet Duck

Alt account
Banned
Jun 30, 2019
Looks like the games publisher had their business license lost for comparing the Chinese president as Winnie the Pooh for those who were wondering.

Really!? That's a lot worse than I thought. I originally imaged this would all blow over in time, and the game would return to Steam. Real shame... I want to play this.

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
I bought it shortly after launch and what I played was fantastic.

Only reason I still haven't finished it is it makes me shit my pants.

Dec 25, 2018

that's their own fault for being dumbasses, that is a known thing in China. Even KH3 was censored in China. China doesn't have rights like the US or other first world countries do. Even youtube is blocked completely in China (maybe it's not anymore?).

May 26, 2018
Luckily I saw its erasure coming down the pipe and snagged it before it went away. Haven't played yet but it's in my library.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Is it ok to admit for once what we don't want to admit? I'd really like to support those guys but there's no way, aside from buying Detention, their previous work

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I'm glad I got this on Steam before stuff went down. Haven't played it yet though. I'll probably play it around Halloween.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Between this and detention they quickly became one of the best indiehorror devs out there, such a shitty situation

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
The publisher lost their business license, so yeah, pretty much.

Are you sure? I thought the developer was based in Taiwan. It probably means it can't be released in China but I don't see why it couldn't be released in the West if they removed the parts that the Chinese government didn't like.

Oct 25, 2017
So I bought it and downloaded it before everything went down, I'm good, but listen hey you got to admit these are very particular circumstances surrounding its removal if you got to do some stuff I don't know. IDK.
Life finds a way

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a PC game that came out recently. If people really want to play it they can.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure? I thought the developer was based in Taiwan. It probably means it can't be released in China but I don't see why it couldn't be released in the West if they removed the parts that the Chinese government didn't like.
Thing is China doesn't aknowledge Taiwan as a different nation so

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
There might still be hope if the Taiwan dev can renegotiate with a different non-chinese publisher?

That's my hope. Fuck the mainland.

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
It's such a shame this happened to them, they seemed to producing really great horror games. I'm annoyed with myself for not buying the game when all the controversy comparing of a world leader to a Disney character first started. I guess I'll pick up Detention to make up for it.

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
Detention blew me out of the water and became one of my favorite indie games. I'm so upset about what happened to red candle games and the fact that I can't pay them money to play devotion.

Oct 25, 2017
But Taiwan does.. they can't stop Taiwanese companies doing business elsewhere in the world.

Also it sounds like the publisher Indievent lost their business license, not Red Candle, the developer.
Well the thing is as we can see here, to an extent, the specter of China or the specter possible possible retaliation from China being invoked can absolutely be used to jam up a Taiwanese company or chill their ability to speak.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Really gutted about this whole situation. I was interested in the game from the start, but refrained from buying it on PC because I don't have one that could run it well, and figured I'd just wait until the inevitable console ports. But now it looks like they're never happening?

Fucking China dude. I hope there's a way out of this mess for the devs.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
that's their own fault for being dumbasses, that is a known thing in China. Even KH3 was censored in China. China doesn't have rights like the US or other first world countries do. Even youtube is blocked completely in China (maybe it's not anymore?).

KH3 wasnt censored in China. The website who published the images self-censored them for whatever reason.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Can the developers not just find a Western publisher and release it outside of China at least?

Its problematic. If mainland chinese will find out that its published by, lets say, some other publisher with a track record on Steam, GoG wherever, they would reviewbomb their other games.
Then you also will have people who are mad they cant buy it in China and reviewbomb because of that.

I mean it wasnt just a "Steam" thing. It blew up on taiwanese media, some stars were streaming the game after it came out etc.

Surely if they remove the offending content from the game then there would be no issue. But I realise I'm probably underestimating the Chinese dictatorship here

Its not about the government. Its more about the "snowflake" gamers.

But even with the government in play, lets say Devolver would publish it but exclude China. The government gets wind of it (usally by the sons and daughters of politicians who are gamers) and then wont approve all games from Devolver to sell in China anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Surely if they remove the offending content from the game then there would be no issue. But I realise I'm probably underestimating the situation here.
the damage is already done in terms of public perception, it will always be the game that had the joke about Xi Jinping.
People aren't going to forget, the people who were upset the first time are definitely not going to forget.

Deleted member 1656

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
there is nothing unethical about pirating games that aren't for sale any more
I was banned once under the pretext of "encouraging piracy" for suggesting the same regarding delisted Telltale games. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to you and the others in this thread.
Can you even play it in english?
Subs only iirc. The localization as mentioned is good though. It has nice, big subtitles too.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
It was localized in English if that's what you mean. No English vo if I recall correctly.
Yep that's what I meant. Are there no physical sales?

I was banned once under the pretext of "encouraging piracy" for suggesting the same regarding delisted Telltale games. Hopefully the same doesn't happen to you and the others in this thread.
Subs only iirc. The localization as mentioned is good though. It has nice, big subtitles too.
Dang.. I might be treading a mighty thin ice here.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the mod team has to ban any of you for piracy, I hope they can understand the circumstances of this if not, I gladly take the hammer to for low-key promoting a game that only piracy makes it available