• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix has become a household name, offering the option to set several profiles so you and your family can stream shows of your own choice simultaneously without any inconvenience.

However, the company faces a set back with many people sharing their login details allowing different households to use the same account.

Netflix is working on tackling this issue, speaking at Netflix's Q3 2019, Greg peter, the company's product chief announced that the company is working towards solving the password sharing dilemma.

He did not mention the record of how people share passwords however, he did add that Netflix has 6.77 million paid subscribers during the quarter.

"Alienating a certain portion of [the] user base," said Peters.

We do not know how the company will be stopping the users from sharing passwords however; it could be by limiting the number of IP addresses using each login.

"We'll continue to look at the situation and we'll see those consumer-friendly ways to push on the edge of that," stated Peter

"But we've got no big plans at this point in time in terms of doing something different there.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If they limit the number of IP addresses they'll just give paid subscribers issues logging in when they're not at home.

Good luck. Also this will push more people to piracy.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I share a password with my roommate, so I'm not sure the IP Address thing is what you're looking for. But either way, isn't part of the higher tier thing allowing multiple logins?

If they limit the number of IP addresses they'll just give paid subscribers issues logging in when they're not at home.

Good luck. Also this will push more people to piracy.

I think they've forgotten somewhere along the way that the enemy wasn't cable, but rather piracy.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
They already solve this issue by limiting the amount of IP's that can be logged in at any one time depending on how much you pay.

Edit: I'm probably wrong but it happened to me the other day.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As somebody that has been piggy backing off other's Netflix subscriptions since the day the service went live, this is not good news.

And no, I will not be getting my own subscription.

Paz

Nov 1, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Seems reasonable to block users from watching shows at two different physical locations at the same time, but multiple users in the same home seems like a core part of their biz now so they'd be crazy to mess with that.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
just saying, it's no different. You shouldn't feel morally superior to a guy who torrents movies. Morally you are both on the same level.
giphy.gif

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
I would probably cancel if they did this. I don't watch enough Netflix where it's worth the almost $17 CAD a month. The primary reason I'm still subscribed is because my sisters also use it.

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend uses the Netflix account a lot more than me, so if this happens I'll just cancel my subscription.
I'll consider occasionally subbing for a month to binge a show here and there.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to be saying that pushing more people to piracy is a negative outcome of this, which would imply that the status quo of sharing netflix accounts better somehow when it's not.

It's literally the same thing from a moral standpoint.

Why does Netflix let you make multiple names on the same account if you can't share it?

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
As somebody that has been piggy backing off other's Netflix subscriptions since the day the service went live, this is not good news.

And no, I will not be getting my own subscription.
I piggyback off my parents. I mostly use netflix in order to put something on to go to sleep to. I've been using hulu recently though since I'm still getting that for $1 per month for another month.

I have disney+ coming in a week, and that will likely just replace both for my late night sleep thing so it wouldn't get me to get a sub either.

it would however prevent me from seeing the few shows I care about on Netflix and telling people about them.

I would likely just sign up for a super cheap deal once a year to binge the shows I want to see like the continuation of Trollhunters called Wizards and She ra, and Dragon prince and stranger things 4 and the last bit of bojack. and the rare anime they get that I care about. They have cancelled everything else I cared about lol.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're not gonna do shit. They've repeatedly said in the past that they don't consider password sharing a problem, and I don't see them changing that position now. The only people who seem to be howling about the "issue" are cable providers.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Don't be rude. I just spent an extra $4 to add my grandpa to my account.

Don't take that away. From my 95 year old grandpa, Netflix.

Don't do it.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
He seems to be saying that pushing more people to piracy is a negative outcome of this, which would imply that the status quo of sharing netflix accounts better somehow when it's not.

It's literally the same thing from a moral standpoint.

I'm paying for 4 devices to play Netflix content simultaneously. I assume the implication is that 4 people will be able to watch for the price, unless you're trying to say the idea is I should watch on 4 devices at the same time by myself?

If they don't want 4 people watching with my 4 device plan, they shouldn't offer it.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
User banned (3 days): advocating piracy
The alternative is there. If Netflix make their service more restrictive then I have no problems going to the alternative. Happy to pirate.

And there's a million other people out there just like me

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They'll lose my sub if they ever stop this. Splitting it with my family members and having simultaneous streaming is the main reason why I'm still paying for Netflix. Otherwise it then becomes easier to just use my Plex server to share content with family.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
theyre not doing shit, theyre not that stupid

This. Especially at this moment in time, where people are re-evaluating their subscriptions, they certainly shouldn't want to rock the boat.

With Disney+ having the more 'attractive' content right now, AppleTV+ being super cheap and in-your-face, everyone-and-their-mom having a Prime account, Netflix better realize that - were they to limit account sharing - they wouldn't get those 3 additional people to also sign up for a subscription, but possibly the 'host' who currently pays 14 bucks to downsize to the cheaper plan.

I pay 14 bucks and i share my account with my mom and my cousin - and if they take that away, i can guarantee you, i'm gonna downgrade to 1080p while my mom and my cousin will just stop watching Netflix stuff and also stop contributing to making Netflix shows part of the everyday 'watercooler chat'

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would make me reconsider always having a Netflix account. Already paying so that more than 1 person can watch at the same time.

Not sure what I would be paying extra for if this is not working anymore even though not much would change for me personally. Can't stand horrible DRM though.

With Disney+ and AppleTV+ around the corner, this is not the smartest move.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...it's impossible unless Netflix is planning to implement some sort of a 2-step verification for every new IP login. And even that can be easily circumvent.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They've said something along the lines to this several times now, it only seems to be them paying lip service so that it doesn't appear like they're doing nothing to solve the "issue". Until I see otherwise, I don't think they'll seriously consider restricting password sharing in any real fashion. Especially not now when the competition is really heating up in the streaming space.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I'd like to see a lower price for Ultra HD plan for only one device. Ain't sharing my Netflix login info with anybody.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Sharing your netflix password with someone is not piracy. You pay for X number of computers and phones so you're paying for the person you've shared it with. They just want more money.
That's like saying since a game doesn't restrict how many installs you should be able to just share the one copy around on the Internet.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would create more issues for Netflix than it solves tbh.

just saying, it's no different. You shouldn't feel morally superior to a guy who torrents movies. Morally you are both on the same level.
The age of practical, consumer oriented solutions that actually made business sense and generated revenue had me forget all the pompous sanctimony that came with these conversations.

Also, there might be a reason Netflix had a multi-tiered pricing that included family plans.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seems logical to me. I mean people literally split an account with friends from different states for crying out loud. Imagine if cable companies let you pay for internet/tv and then use it at two different households...

It's one thing to have it for a household within the same house, it's another to share it with people that literally live across different states that you aren't even related to.

The issue is families that don't live together, and I think that can be solved simply by having some kind of family verification in place, so once they know that then it's ok if people are watching through the same account but at different locations.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Meh, my sister shares her plan with me because my nieces are over and may want to watch something on it

Meanwhile they stay binging on Hulu sitcoms when they're over