• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
The leap is going to be similar to the difference between playing Control on a PS4 to playing Control with all ray tracing effects maxed out on a high end PC.

Sure, the game look MUCH better. But we have seen next gen graphics already - there are plenty of PC games that push the hardware to crazy levels now. And don't be mistaken, Control looks NUTS on high end hardware. I adore that game, and having that kind of graphic prowess on a $400 box is nuts.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Reach well beyond? Like, be even better than what's in this trailer? I doubt it :P
Compared to what was shown on inside Xbox. AAA games in general will push boundaries more than what was seen on inside Xbox. Yes Valhalla was there but Ubi botched that one. Are you saying that you don't find the HB 2 trailer impressive or that you think it'll be paired down?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So we're in a interesting spot right now. Xbox has powerful hardware but their early plans for taking advantage of said hardware was always going to leave people feeling a little cold. Even then, I'm not expecting too dramatic a difference from PS5's launch lineup as I expect this transition to be fairly similar to the transition from 360/PS3 to X1/PS4 which is to say not a very dramatic one.

I'm fully expect lighting and frame rates to be the stuff to watch for (I suspect many games will let you choose between ray tracing mode and a performance mode). It wasn't until 2015 (and to some extent holiday 2014) that the current crop of consoles really showed off what they can do and I suspect things will be similar this time around. Also the more like X1/PS4 games early XBSX/PS5 games are the better they'll be able to show off those special SSD loading times so there's that at least.

A side note: I will say, as someone who as been buying every console at or within the first 6 months of launch since the 360 gen, I was surprised that the recent Inside Xbox stream had me rethinking the idea of buying the Series X (at least within the first couple years). I feel like MS has largely been on point as it relates to next gen but with everything they make for Series X running on (maybe xCloud?) PC and (for at least the first couple years) Xbox One buying a PS5 and a Series X at launch feels like a mistake as the only real reason I would have to buy one is I already got rid of my Xbox One so getting a Series X would allow me to play original Xbox & 360 games again. Getting a Series X makes even less sense for me since I own a decent-ish gaming PC that I could upgrade pretty significantly. Maybe a Lockhart would make sense for me early on (whenever that launches)?

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
The leap is going to be similar to the difference between playing Control on a PS4 to playing Control with all ray tracing effects maxed out on a high end PC.

Sure, the game look MUCH better. But we have seen next gen graphics already - there are plenty of PC games that push the hardware to crazy levels now. And don't be mistaken, Control looks NUTS on high end hardware. I adore that game, and having that kind of graphic prowess on a $400 box is nuts.
I think that's true, at the same time, Control was designed first and foremost for much lower level hardware and most of the features people go on about were tacked on at the end. And it still doesn't have HDR.

It looks like I imagine a lot of high quality cross-gen games will look on XSX and PS5.

Start the sequels development where the minimum specs of the graphics is a 2070/2080, where you design around ray tracing and HDR from the get go, and I think you get an even more jaw dropping visual experience.

Last edited:

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
That's cool but can we be shown why next gen is a game changer instead of hyping up current gen graphics?
I mean from MS there's HB2 and flight Sim. For Sony we will see next month. For AAA 3rd party it's on the way. We've only seen the first showing of the summer of games stuff. Additionally we are still dealing with a world-wide pandemic. It's coming

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think studios like Naughty Dog, Coalition, Polyphony Digital, Turn10, Playground Games, SMS to name a few and some third party studios will proof the author of the article wrong.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
The only things we need next gen:
- better animation. Don't want play beautiful games with robots anymore, more organic feeling
- mandatory 60 fps (design the games with this on mind before anything)
- better ai

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I don't doubt that Sony will show some great stuff, but don't assume based on things that shinobi has hinted out with Xbox first party that these tweets are focused on a single platform only.

Maybe but I think the best looking game will be next-generation consoles exclusives and for games releasing in 2020 and 2021 I suppose Sony will be out of maybe some third party studio the only one to do next-generation exclusive game.

You can do good looking cross-gen game but this is not the same as true next-generation exclusive. This is not linked to XSX or first-party studio talent but the first party policy for at least the first year of the XSX.

After I have no doubt Microsoft will show 2022/2023 games in two months.

www.engadget.com

Microsoft's first Xbox Series X games will be cross-gen releases

It's been known for a while that Halo: Infinite will be available on Xbox One as well as Xbox Series X and PC. In a wide-ranging interview with MCVUK, Xbox Game Studios chief Matt Booty said other first-party Series X titles will also be playable on Xbox One. In fact, Microsoft's own Series X...

The biggest studio of the world Rockstar doing new version of GTA 5 was not able to hide this is a PS3/360 games because of the assets. You need to redo a game for this to be the case.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
better frame rates (maybe not 60 but at least stable) and faster load times all Im really expecting at this point.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
I think that's true, at the same time, Control was designed first and foremost for much lower level hardware and most of the features people go on about were tacked on at the end. And it still doesn't have HDR.

Start the sequels development where the minimum specs of the graphics is a 2070/2080, where you design around ray tracing and HDR from the get go, and I think you get an even more jaw dropping visual experience.

A better example might be some of the graphical showcases late into the PS3\360 era, like Crysis 3. The game looked really pretty for its day on consoles, and looked positively crazy on PC. Once the PS4 came, Killzone looked amazing, but it did not look better than maxes out Crysis 3 on a high end PC couple of years prior.

Crysis 3, in fact, still looks good to this day in many aspects. Sure, more modern shooters have more or better effects in some cases, but it has aged extremely well. From the PS3 onwards the improvement on consoles have been similar to the glorious advance on PCs - games look MUCH better from one gen to the next, but the path of advance is clearly delineated.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
The only things we need next gen:
- better animation. Don't want play beautiful games with robots anymore, more organic feeling
- mandatory 60 fps (design the games with this on mind before anything)
- better ai
I hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but, good luck with that.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
A better example might be some of the graphical showcases late into the PS3\360 era, like Crysis 3. The game looked really pretty for its day on consoles, and looked positively crazy on PC. Once the PS4 came, Killzone looked amazing, but it did not look better than maxes out Crysis 3 on a high end PC couple of years prior.

Crysis 3, in fact, still looks good to this day in many aspects. Sure, more modern shooters have more or better effects in some cases, but it has aged extremely well. From the PS3 onwards the improvement on consoles have been similar to the glorious advance on PCs - games look MUCH better from one gen to the next, but the path of advance is clearly delineated.
Agreed.

I think the thing with Crysis in general though is that it was always aimed at higher end hardware. Often to the point of actually being out in front of it.

Im not sure there any recent games besides things like Star Citizen developing like that?

So I see Control more like I did Black Flag than Crysis. A game not yet developed from the ground up for next gen hardware but giving you a good peak at what is over the horizon.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
Keighley is a hype man, and extremely invested in maintaining his connections to the industry. I have no doubt there'll be better 1st party stuff shown off soon, but lets not act like there's any scenario in which he complains about next-gen games being a bit lackluster looking.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
It depends I guess on what the target is.

4K/60.... well there is a price to pay for that.

But overall I think we will see almost every game doing stuff that is not possible this gen, once the cross gen games fade away in 2021.

Corine

Nov 8, 2017
i honestly have no idea what this is referring to, pc games are basically at parity with console games, give or take minor settings (as well as framerate/resolution). ray tracing is cool but it's not world changing.
Yeah I'd have to disagree with all of that :) None of your post has anything to do with what I wrote though either......

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Diminishing returns doesn't mean that there aren't improvements. It means that the rate of improvement is less drastic, slower, and more expensive. It means that you could make a AAA game 30 years ago with a couple dozen people in a year or so and now a AAA game involves hundreds of people over years. It means that in a little over a decade (11 years, 1 month), we went from original Doom graphics to Resident Evil 4, but in the 15 year since then, we're nowhere near seeing that kind of jump from RE4. It means that in the past, even non-gamers could easily see how a next gen game had better graphics than the previous gen, but now even hardcore gamers might have to jump back and forth between comparison shots to release which one is supposed to be better.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I had to eat crow last generation when I tried to make this point.

If that Hellblade 2 trailer is any indication there is going to be a massive leap in quality.

I think the issue is our early exposure to next gen has been through a lot of smaller developers who don't have the budget or capabilities to produce those mind blowing visuals.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I'd have to disagree with all of that :) None of your post has anything to do with what I wrote though either......
Yeah I don't know what that person is talking about either.

Current PC, with games like Metro Exodus, Control, and RDR2 is basically where I expect some of the best first year cross gen titles to be at. Current consoles aren't close. And how ray tracing is not a major leap continues to evade me. It really just has to be people never actually playing with it on to say that.

Metro and Control take a significant jump in visuals beyond any other one setting I can think of. It really is like flipping on a new game.

To think we are about to have a generation where ray tracing is the baseline for AAA games is pretty insane.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
Why would our expectations be that high for launch when we haven't really seen a wow factor game out the gate? It's mostly cross platform stuff with the expectation of current mid-high range pc level of details. It was the same story last gen.

Personally speaking, I'm looking for an experience I can't get anywhere else, especially on my current gaming PC before I consider upgrading my PS4 pro or Xbox one X. I'm still hoping for a demon souls remake in launch window.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
True, but cross-gen games will have to do more than to simply bump the resolution and frame-rate. Hopefully AAA devs will get the oppurtunity to fine tune per platform strengths going into next gen.
Sure but cross gen games are not an indication of next gens ceiling. We won't truly be able to gauge their upper limits for a few years.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
QoL improvements were more important to me than better graphics with the jump from last gen to current gen.

Headphone jack in the controllers and resume play being the standouts.

Add little to no load times (less down time, more game time) and a change with the way PlayStation handles game updates (hopefully no more deleting a 30gb game or whatever for a 5gb update next gen), and I'll be happy with minimal graphical improvements. I know I'm in the minority though.

Just give me locked or higher frame rates as well ;)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a few more weeks till Sony's big PS5 reveal event in which I am sure some AAA next gen exclusive games will be shown. After that we can start to panic. ;)

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Maybe this will be the gen where they show a game and it actually looks like that when it comes out instead of getting down graded....

Yeah who am I kidding...

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Having gone through 3 new gens - PS2, PS3 and PS4 - it is abundantly clear that the really good looking games come after a few years. Looking forward to seeing the 3rd year of the next-gen, assuming we all survive that is.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Wasn't Hellblade done with a lot of motion capture work (including facial capture)? Obviously there's much more to it than that, but I don't imagine that's feasible for every game/AAA budget (I don't know much about HB2 but the first also tended towards smaller environments while most AAA nowadays have bigger ones).

The game will likely look incredible I'm just not sure if that quality is reasonable for every AAA open world game coming.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Poor article. We haven't even seen any next gen AAA games yet. If they're basing this on the few lower-budget releases we've seen so far, it's flawed reasoning.