• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Excellent thread!!

I wish support for old direct input controllers was better.

I have two official Sega usb pads, the neo geo PS3 pad, buffalo SNES style USB, and a few other non-xinput gamepads that are a nuisance to work with.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using the 2.4GHz Saturn Controller right now and it's godlike for emulation. Day and night with bluetooth controllers regarding input lag.

Now I want a 2.4GHz SNES Controller with a good dpad.

My current setup is:

Xbox One controller for mostly everything.
DS4 controller for a select few games, mostly japanese developed games because I feel they were developed with that controller in mind. E.g: Nioh.
2.4GHz Saturn Controller for retro stuff, fighter games and 2D platformers.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Choice of input is one of my favorite features of PC gaming. It's especially good now that consoles are kind of stagnating with input device to maintain backwards compatibility and not piss off the so-called hardcore gamers who freak out at any mention of a divergence from the dual analog standard gamepad. It's absurd that Sony has the ability to add gyro aim to every PS4 game if they want but doesn't.

On the PC you can literally hook up a Dualshock 4 and have the same controls as on a PS4 but with added gyro aim since that's already inside the controller. Use the touchpad to add a bunch of shortcuts like to the map or inventory, etc. All built right into Steam.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If you really want to get crazy, the CronusMax also supports Xinput as a controller input; which means that you can use the full functionality of something like Steam Input and any controller supported by that, including things like mode shifting and action sets, output all that to CronusMax application and send that over to your console.

TIL, I wasn't aware of that. Good to know!

ryu_highabusa

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
Yesterday I spent four hours trying to troubleshoot why my controller wouldn't work before I finally gave up and moved on. I hate this shit.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is an enduring reminder of my desire for a swank HOTAS/wheel combo setup attached to a proper chair+subpac.

If I could get a space fighter sim with NMS style exploration with actually acceptable performance in VR with a high end HOTAS rig I'd be set. Goodbyeworld.png

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I mostly use a DS4 but switch to a XBO controller on occasion (because Windows natively supports it). Cool thing is, the DS4 works on really really old games (Need for Speed 1, 2, and 3!) in normal DirectInput mode. And of course it works as an Xinput controller with Steam.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Any and every game can use gyro (DS4, Switch joycons, Steam Controller), or gyro + touch pad (Steam Controller).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of controls, does anyone know if Steam allows for analog face buttons when using a Dual Shock 3? Does it even support a DS3?

I need to know so I can properly play MGS2 and MGS3 via PCSX2. I could just download the custom drivers, but then that'd interfere with DS4Windows I'm, sure, and I don't want to break DS4Windows.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Big reason I prefer the platform. Been using a Saturn pad of some description with 2D games and fighters for a long time now, and since then Steam input has made the set up process for that much easier.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
All of the above for sure.

I got a Wii (again lol) used for the kids with a ton of games for practically nothing and bought a dolphin bar for the PC and enjoy all the games in HD.

You can play just about anything up to this gen on PC so it's been amazing for preservation.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not a big pc gamer. So what happens if you don't buy your games on steam? Also such a good controller support?

Not nearly on the level. If you buy outside of steam your best bet are Xinput controllers (Xbox ones) or using programs like DS4windows that trick your computer into thinking your PS4 controller is an xbox controller. So you'll have some extra hurdles to jump throigh.

You can usually though add a game you bought off Steam as a Non Steam game in Steam and launch it through there, and often that will provide the controller support too, though it's not always foolproof because sometimes there's something interfering.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm primarily a pc gamer with a controller. You still run into weird things occasionally. Take the half life remake that just launched doesn't have built in controller support at this time, you have to launch in big picture mode to get it to hook.

Try to check "Use the big picture overlay with a controller compatible with Steam Input".
That'll avoid you to launch BPM to get it to hook.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
It's near the top of my list for why I prefer PC gaming nowadays, along with competing storefronts, greater customization, free online and near infinite BC. I've always hovered in the low-mid to mid level in terms of hardware so fidelity has always been lower down my priority list.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Yeah this is one of the many great advantages of gaming on a pc.
Speaking of using different controllers, has anybody been able to get a switch SNES controller to work wired on the pc?
Steam and windows detect it as a SNES controller but neither steam or windows detect any inputs.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Right on. I have so many retro controllers I lost count, and I recently got the gbros adapter to use my SNES mini controller.. This, emulators, and almost infinite BC is why PC will forever be my favorite gaming device.

Oct 31, 2017
Choice is always good. WIth that though, does normally involve more effort, as you stated. It's the give and take of pc vs ease of use of consoles.

Granted this might just be my experience but for me it's as simple as plugging in the xb1 controller into the usb-port, fire up the game and start playing. Most games and most certainly most mainstream and AAA games (thankfully) recognize the chosen input method instantly. Admittedly with smaller games or retro and niche games the situation might be a bit different.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use Dual Shock 4, Wii U Pro Controller, 8bitdo's Genesis Mini controller and even a USB PS4 fighting arcade stick on my Switch (alongside Switch Pro controller) thanks 8bitdo or Mayflower adapters. They work great. The only downside is that you just can connect 1 controller for adapter at rhe same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish the Steam input wrapper would add support for a pair of Joycons. I feel that's a great way to play shooters using a controller, since you can pretty much use the gyro on the right Joycon for camera control. Not a fan of having to tilt the whole controller for this purpose, like you do with the DS4 and Steam controller.

For split (or even single!) Joycons, I'd recommend taking a look at JoyShockMapper.
github.com

GitHub - JibbSmart/JoyShockMapper: A tool for PC gamers to play games with DualShock 4, DualSense, JoyCon, and Switch Pro Controllers. Gyro aiming, flick stick.

A tool for PC gamers to play games with DualShock 4, DualSense, JoyCon, and Switch Pro Controllers. Gyro aiming, flick stick. - JibbSmart/JoyShockMapper

It's not quite as convenient as Steam Input, but eh.

Additionally, it allows for FlickStick style aiming, demo'd here, for all the controllers it supports.
Personally, I've done exactly one playthrough of Doom using Flickstick, and holy shitballs, it's amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
Not nearly on the level. If you buy outside of steam your best bet are Xinput controllers (Xbox ones) or using programs like DS4windows that trick your computer into thinking your PS4 controller is an xbox controller. So you'll have some extra hurdles to jump throigh.

You can usually though add a game you bought off Steam as a Non Steam game in Steam and launch it through there, and often that will provide the controller support too, though it's not always foolproof because sometimes there's something interfering.
You can use GloSC, or Global Steam Controller, to use Steam Input on non-Steam games.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you! Will try this out. Flick stick + gyro sounds like a great idea.
Some tips for using this.

I found that one of the coolest things about JSM is that it can normalize your sensitivity across games. When you set it up for the game the first thing you do is basically calculate what that game's sensitivity is for a 360, so that the FlickStick can work. It then also uses that for the gyro as well, so all of my games have the same gyro sensitivity now effectively.

You can layer this on top of Steam Input. Basically just remove all keybinds other than the flick stick, Gyro, recalibrate gyro, and Gyro_off (to recenter). Then, in Steam Input, leave the right stick and gyro unbound; doing this will leave those binds empty in Steam and it'll fallback to JSM.

I find this convenient because I don't want to be typing into a .ini too often, so with this I just need to do it for the new game's sensitivity calculation.