• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I don't know if this game will work for you, but it's very different from Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

It's a very plot-heavy game in that a lot of things happen, but it's relatively economical in its presentation compared to many games like it. Each adventure game segment is a 10-20 minute chunk that conveys something meaningful, and it doesn't waste much time on needless repetition, trusting the player to use the Analysis features if they're confused or want to learn more. The customization around the strategy segments is relatively straightforward, primarily focused around upgrading a set of weapons for each character. Unlike a lot of visual novels that have lost me, 13 Sentinels presents its plot hooks quickly and maintains forward momentum throughout.

Where it bears similarities to Fire Emblem is that the characters don't go too far beyond the stock anime archetypes they're built from. They each have their own arc of character development, and there are many different kinds of satisfying interactions among the cast, but they aren't individually all that textured.

Thanks. Maybe I check it out, because I like the art and the premise.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I played it for a few hours but story's about Japanese high school students are just too off-putting to me.

I'll try to finish it, but man characters literally running to school with toast in their mouth then falling over for a panty shot.... :/

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The misinformation in this thread is staggering. There are no panty shots in this game.

Last edited:

LordHuffnPuff

Doctor Videogames at Allfather Productions
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
webernet
You edited your post but dude just posted proof of a panty shot above haha
Yeah I was changing my mind about engaging but when I saw it was quoted while I was editing I restored it. Not embarrassed to admit when I'm wrong. I am still exiting this thread though. It's not worth it! People can judge for themselves at this point, perpetual relitigation isn't going to convince anybody.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
How anime is it? These days I'm not too big a fan of anime tropes
It's pretty tropey, so you might want to pass on this game if you really dislike them.

The story paths so far pull from a lot of anime and sci-fi movie tropes pretty unabashedly, though I assume the game will do something more with all these plot threads later.

A lot of the characters feel like homages to sci-fi movie or anime genre protagonists, but it doesn't feel like the game is doing it as a way to replace its own content.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Oh, I agree. As I mentioned in my previous post, George Kamitani brings baggage to this work for his designs on prior games even before we look at this one specifically.

I know you said you were leaving the thread (which I understand, having to fight to prove the game is worth exploring despite problematic elements is exhausting, and only ever seems to happen to certain games while people all too happily consume other problematic shit without even being able to acknowledge it) but I just wanted to point out as I have before George Kamitani did not do art or character design for this game.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
I would also say this game may have some of the best LGBT representation in a Japanese game in a while. Does give an interesting way of thinking about trans identity in the context of the game's world.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
I played it for a few hours but story's about Japanese high school students are just too off-putting to me.

I'll try to finish it, but man characters literally running to school with toast in their mouth then falling over for a panty shot.... :/
There are actual bad anime out there that have toast in mouth and things that are worse than a panty shot, but you let it stop you from experience something with actual effort put into the writing?

The anime-phobia on this site is staggering sometimes

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are actual bad anime out there that have toast in mouth and things that are worse than a panty shot, but you let it stop you from experience something with actual effort put into the writing?

maybe it's not a phobia but something people consider to be just bad, repetitive, and tropey content and don't want to experience it to get to other content that's better

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
I'll play it eventually. These Vanilla games come out like once every generation, I got time :)
Haven't even finished Odin Sphere or Muramasa on the Vita T_T

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017

Like I said. I played it for a few hours. But so far it's just a bunch of tired anime and sci-fi tropes. The writing hasn't stood out to me so far.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
maybe it's not a phobia but something people consider to be just bad, repetitive, and tropey content and don't want to experience it to get to other content that's better
the tolerance level is so low though, are you saying people don't want non-Nintendo Japanese games to have any Japanese influence whatsoever? I can't help but call it a phobia, especially when western media has so many hard-cuts to sex scenes, but a single panty shot is enough for someone to drop a controller.

With that said though, there is a lot of subtle pervyness in this game, but it's presented so subtly it's hard to get worked up about it unless you are trying to get worked up about it.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
the tolerance level is so low though, are you saying people don't want non-Nintendo Japanese games to have any Japanese influence whatsoever? I can't help but call it a phobia, especially when western media has so many hard-cuts to sex scenes, but a single panty shot is enough for someone to drop a controller.

With that said though, there is a lot of subtle pervyness in this game, but it's presented so subtly it's hard to get worked up about it unless you are trying to get worked up about it.
Dude I own several anime and manga series. I have an account on myanimelist for Christ sake.
I almost exclusively play Japanese games. I don't have a single game made by a western company in my top 10. I just got sick of Japanese media about high school kids about a decade ago. I feel like I've seen it all 100 times at this point and it no longer interest me. Its just played out and boring.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Like I said. I played it for a few hours. But so far it's just a bunch of tired anime and sci-fi tropes. The writing hasn't stood out to me so far.
That's fair. Apologies for my hostility. I'd say keep at it for a few more hours. Tropes doesn't inherently mean bad, nothing is ever original when you think about it, it's the execution that counts, and that's what stood out to me for this game.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
Do you like kaiju (Godzilla/giant monster) movies?
Do you like retro-80s Japanese aesthetic?
Do you like synth-wave?
Do you like piecing together the plot yourself?

If you answered yes to any of those this game is for you.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
Dude I own several anime and manga series. I have an account on myanimelist for Christ sake.
I almost exclusively play Japanese games. I don't have a single game made by a western company in my top 10. I just got sick of Japanese media about high school kids about a decade ago. I feel like I've seen it all 100 times at this point and it no longer interest me. Its just played out and boring.
I'm sick of that crap too, but in this case, I see the highschool thing as a backdrop. It literally is a backdrop. There are no scenes that take place during class. No dumb school festivals, no obscure club that is about to get disbanded cuz there's not enough members, absolutely no talk of friendship equals power. The most highschool-y trope this game has is that everyone has a crush on someone but that's normal for any cast of their age. The narrative direction knows what it's doing, as opposed to something like Persona 5 where it's pretending to be more mature than it is.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I get not wanting to interact with something seen as pervy. But I could easily describe this as a game with panty shots, horny teens, busty boob jiggling characters, skintight clothing, and nude children and while every bit of that is true and so easy to criticize, it also describes an absolutely miniscule amount of content in a large game that explores human relationships, lgbtq characters, our relationship with media and culture and defining characteristics of what it means to be human, both individually and as a race. And it's far more fair to characterize it as the latter, with notably problematic subjects in the former. The problem is when people overwhelmingly define it as the former while refusing to listen to others that say the latter is the true content, and in large part that former is amplified by those who haven't even played the game. It might be "true", but it's also mischaracterizing what the game is and does.

A lot of people have said it, but you can engage with a problematic work and appreciate it, while acknowledging its issues. If you don't want to engage with it that's fine, but if in not engaging with it you want to cast judgment on the work and the fans of the work I think it's an obnoxious behavior. That people keep coming in here talking about 9,000 year old dragons tells you the nature of the discourse around here, because it doesn't describe a single thing in this game.

nachum00 it is a very tropey game, and while I won't say it "subverts your expectations", it is very intelligently using those tropes in its story. In universe it honestly makes a lot of sense to rely on tropes and what it says about the stories told and the people who tell them, in my opinion. It's far from perfect and I'm fine with others not enjoying it (though I'll also say a number of people who have said they disliked it have also asked questions that demonstrate how little attention they paid), but if you're into Japanese games and anime I think you should power through. It isn't just a high school Japanese game/anime, and you've honestly already got past the worst of it once you're out of the prologue. If you're already past the prologue and still not enjoying it I could easily be wrong of course, but I'd like to urge anyone interested to see it through.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anime doesn't have to equal the previously mentioned repetitive tropes, themes, and scenes. An adults dick or titties showing up during a sex scene isn't necessarily comparable to highschooler panty shots; western exploitative tit-armor bro games maybe, but IDK how high the tolerance level is for that stuff too.

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
I want to play it, but I am already playing a lot of games and have some planned for the next 3-6 months, even so, it's on my radar for 2nd half 21.
Watched cohh play a little of it and it really looked cool.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Would this game be worth it for someone who enjoys mech and RTS games but will not pay attention to the story at all?

blamite

Oct 27, 2017
Avoiding spoilers here, but can someone tell me the number of combat missions (not counting the tutorial ones) so I can figure out how to pace them out as I get near the end of the game, so I don't end up having to do a ton in a row in the last stretch? Just the number please!

Sub or dub for this?
for anime I almost always prefer subs, but I've been playing this with the dub and I HIGHLY recommend it, partly becasue it's jkust pretty good overall, but also I think it makes it much the game much easier to follow and get into when you don't ahev to go through the extra steps in your brain to understand everything read subtitles, recognize characters by voice, keep track of names, etc.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Alright alright I'll buy it. I'm sure I'll like it but I don't have time to play and already have a huge backlog...

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Avoiding spoilers here, but can someone tell me the number of combat missions (not counting the tutorial ones) so I can figure out how to pace them out as I get near the end of the game, so I don't end up having to do a ton in a row in the last stretch? Just the number please!

for anime I almost always prefer subs, but I've been playing this with the dub and I HIGHLY recommend it, partly becasue it's jkust pretty good overall, but also I think it makes it much the game much easier to follow and get into when you don't ahev to go through the extra steps in your brain to understand everything read subtitles, recognize characters by voice, keep track of names, etc.
I can't remember but it's either 31 or 26(can't remember if first area is 5 or 10 missions)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
not a fan of RTS...........so i will not be playing it. But hopefully it still gets the support it needs

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Would this game be worth it for someone who enjoys mech and RTS games but will not pay attention to the story at all?
Probably not. The game's combat doesn't seem to do anything particularly deep or special. The game has a much greater emphasis on its story.

From what I've seen, it's not really an RTS either. It's more like turn-based SRPG combat where time passes if you're not in a menu, like Valkryia Chronicles, or an FF game with ATB turned on.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. The misinformation in this thread is staggering. There are no panty shots in this game.
Why are you lying?

If I cant feel anything because of the school setting and milked tropes, then it doesnt matter how much effort is put into a thing. Every game doesnt have to be everyone and not wanting to see sexualized children is probably an appropriate phobia.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this game existed and just picked it up. I'm planning on getting the platinum, but don't want to follow a guide. Post game, how easy is it to figure out what thought bubbles and other 100% stuff you're missing?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I have played it! Haven't managed to get through it yet though, so far it isn't quite grabbing me like Odin Sphere did. I'm going to keep playing though, maybe I'll eventually hit a point where the story starts coming together for me.

shadow2810

Oct 25, 2017
Had no idea this game existed and just picked it up. I'm planning on getting the platinum, but don't want to follow a guide. Post game, how easy is it to figure out what thought bubbles and other 100% stuff you're missing?
It's impossible to miss out stuff. Though 1 trophy may require some grinding.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
You don't need a guide. There's nothing missable and you'll get everything you need by finishing the game normally.
Try and get S Ranks the first time through the stages if you can, but it's easy to clean up what you need post game aswell.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
not a fan of RTS...........so i will not be playing it. But hopefully it still gets the support it needs

The RTS is definitely not the draw to this game. I don't like it either so I just put it on casual difficulty and mindlessly went through it to enjoy the story. There aren't that many RTS sections.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Started playing last night. Unlocked a prologue for the 4th character. The writing opens up with a lot of good "wait wtf" moments that pique your interest for later chapters. The RTS stuff seems fun so far; it manages to stay fast and very mechanics-light compared to other mecha/SRPG games, which I think is a good thing.