• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I mean it sounds really interesting but then I see stuff like this:

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim.jpg

13-sentinels-04.jpg

And it's an instant nope. I just deeply dislike this kind of style and you can tie yourself in convoluted knots narratively justifying why it is like it is, but honestly I find this sort of pseudo juvenile sexualisation creepy.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
My order from bestbuy for the game has been back ordered. Not sure what's going on, but don't want to lose the $25 price I got it for.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I find that hard to believe given I've played Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Last of Us 2, Miles Morales and Demons Souls this year and loved all of them.

I mean, I've played all but one of those games, liked or loved every one of them, and I still agree with it.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Clearly I'm part of this nefarious conspiracy to prevent Vanillaware from making money.

Have you been disingenuously telling people that there's excessive sexualization and fanservice in the game? If so, that's weird since you haven't played it. If no, then I'm not talking about you and it's weird to place yourself into that position but go ahead I guess. There's been plenty of people pretending the game is laden with perverse sexualization, that's disingenuous of anyone who played it to say so. It isn't a conspiracy to say someone who pretends Persona 5 approaches the subject of sexualization with nuance but this is gross - it's just factually stupid.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean it sounds really interesting but then I see stuff like this:

13-Sentinels-Aegis-Rim.jpg

13-sentinels-04.jpg

And it's an instant nope. I just deeply dislike this kind of style and you can tie yourself in convoluted knots narratively justifying why it is like it is, but honestly I find this sort of pseudo juvenile sexualisation creepy.

I had the exact same thought, but it's not that type of game. I don't know why they're marketing the game like that.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really early in so far (just unlocked the encyclopedia/combat/VN selector thing) but I'm enjoying myself.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I like it so far. Nabbed it for $30 during one of the sales around Thanksgiving. It's not wowed me or anything yet but it's been solid and I am only a few hours in.

Oct 27, 2017
It petered off towards the end but it was still an enjoyable play the whole way through. The twists are predictable but I still didn't see em coming and they kept me engaged throughout the story. Simply amazing.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Lol at the suggestion of using Cyberpunk refund money to buy this game.

Because that is absolutely what you should do. It will be the best $60 you have spent on a game this year. (or $30 cause it's been on sale multiple times now.)

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking absurd is what it is. It's pretty good but my only conclusion from threads like this is people need to read more books.

That's my conclusion any and every time people rave about how great any videogame's story is. Put an asterisk on all of them: *by the standards of video game storytelling.

But I'll admit, the method of video game storytelling can be fun, usually in the sense of piecing together clues from your in-game wandering.

Nevertheless, I'm going to check this game out. VanillaWare's name got me on board.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
That's my conclusion any and every time people rave about how great any videogame's story is. Put an asterisk on all of them: *by the standards of video game storytelling.

But I'll admit, the method of video game storytelling can be fun, usually in the sense of piecing together clues from your in-game wandering.

Nevertheless, I'm going to check this game out. VanillaWare's name got me on board.

Video games have story telling mechanics that movies, shows, and books can't replicate, they also have far greater immersion. People aren't getting attatched to video game characters because just because of the writing.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Ehh even then... I'd still say it pales to a lot of video game stories. I kept expecting it to grab me as much as something like VLR or steins;gate, and it just never did. Opinions and all though for sure.

It does have that trademark vanillaware quality where it looks absolutely gorgeous though for sure.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

I would happily say this game has fine writing, but I don't know how many people mean to praise it for the writing specifically. It's a champion in narrative design in a unique format is why it gets the praise it does, and if Keldroc thinks reading a book is in any way a meaningful comparison, I don't think they're right. This game is a masterpiece of weaving familiar plot beats and tropes with just enough thread for you to be able to tug on several at a time, yet lead you to a completely different conclusion than expected. And it does this while allowing a surprising amount of freedom in how to approach the story. It's incredibly impressive what they've accomplished, and it's literally not possible for a book to have done what it did.

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I'm playing it right now. Only a few hours in so I can't say too much beyond it's very very pretty, and feels like the best use of Vanillaware's strong points yet.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
So for those who want the "why are they naked" context:

.....I can't say because it's actually a super huge spoiler revealed at the end of the game, but I can at least say this.

They're not technically kids while naked, as the game explains they're actually older due to INSERT HUGE GAME REVEAL HERE, so the only partial nudity is with adults

That's the best I can explain without just flatout explaining a huge plot reveal.

Are they 1000 year old dragons?

Fromskap

Sep 6, 2019
This game is evergreen. While basically every other game I've played this year will eventually be supplanted through technological innovations, this game is irreplaceable.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Great game.

It's a good game but some of the praise it gets is definitely over the top

Yeah I have to agree that it's getting there though. Had a really good time but I didn't feel like it was the "GOAT" or anything, it's a pretty hard sell to most people with its genres.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no child nudity in this game, and no, there is no stupid 1000 year old dragon loli explanation either. If you really want a real explanation at risk of having this part of the story spoiled for you, then by all means click the spoiler below:
I know that plot point: So to answer this

you don't know that for 90% of the game and they are presented like 14-16 year olds. And also, whether the legal or not sexualizing just turned 18 year olds is still creepy IMO. /SPOILER]
The justification is so useless and unnecessary they could have done literally anything else, kept that plot point, and just not had them nude.

imo it's like "there's a reason Quiet is almost naked" levels of bad reasoning. Just because you can find a dramatic way to justify it in the plot doesn't mean it was a good decision

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Are they 1000 year old dragons?
I don't want to get into it, but not only are they not 1000 year old dragons, but the way that poster is framing it is absolutely wrong and I'm not sure why they put it that way. They are minors. If the game showing that they are nude in this scenario is too much for anyone, there's not a justification for showing minors, only a justification for why they are nude.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I know that plot point: So to answer this

you don't know that for 90% of the game and they are presented like 14-16 year olds. And also, whether the legal or not sexualizing just turned 18 year olds is still creepy IMO. /SPOILER]
The justification is so useless and unnecessary they could have done literally anything else, kept that plot point, and just not had them nude.

imo it's like "there's a reason Quiet is almost naked" levels of bad reasoning. Just because you can find a dramatic way to justify it in the plot doesn't mean it was a good decision
I mean, while I disagree in general and that the justification makes perfect sense and isn't made to titillate, but rather explain what would otherwise be a plot hole, why do people keep saying they're 18? They're all explicitly under 18.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
The gameplay going on when defending the city and whatever seems like something I'd love, but everything else is 100% not for me. Shame

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
100% would play this right now if I had a PlayStation. Not buying a 5 for another year probably. How do I convince Sega to release it on Steam or Switch lol

Deleted member 49319

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 4, 2018
It's unique and memorable enough for me to like the game, but that's about it.
It is hell of a job to make this labyrinth-like narrative work. But the characters...
tbh most of the characters are pretty boring anime stereotypes without much depth.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no child nudity in this game, and no, there is no stupid 1000 year old dragon loli explanation either. If you really want a real explanation at risk of having this part of the story spoiled for you, then by all means click the spoiler below:

If you need to get to the end of a game to find out "oh I haven't been looking at nude kids for hours and hours, phew" then you are playing the wrong fucking game.

Or to put it another way, if you are ever talking about the depiction of minors and nudity and use the word "technically" you really need to check yourself.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, while I disagree in general and that the justification makes perfect sense and isn't made to titillate, but rather explain what would otherwise be a plot hole, why do people keep saying they're 18? They're all explicitly under 18.

Are you sure? I thought they were explicitly 18?
and they were originally meant to enlist in a program at 18 for a couple years before taking over that planet, but they obviously couldn't do the program.

I feel like I distinctly remember them saying they were 18. Maybe I'm misremembering though I can't find anything about their age or school year through some quick searches. I don't remember them explicitly saying years, but maybe I missed it.

Also, the spoiler for why they're naked still doesn't explain why fuyusaka and kisaragi are portrayed the way they do. Literally only there to titillate. Come on now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure. I didn't 100% think that myself but there was a lot I could've missed. For all intents they refer to each other as first and second years a lot so many of them should be 14-16 years old

Tengrave

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beat this game today. Absolutely fantastic. S ranked everything. Got all the trophies. Vanillaware is incredible.