• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xavillin

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it when it was on sale on Best Buy last month, but haven't had the time to play it yet. I just gotta try to platinum FFVII Remake first!

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I bought this on Black Friday. I haven't played it yet, since I bought a bunch of games for my new PS5 and I'm still working my way through them, but I think this one is next and I am eager as hell to play it because of all the praise it's getting.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah more 13 Sentinels praise!

Game is my GOTY after some thinking. It is such an awesome experience.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So for those who want the "why are they naked" context:

.....I can't say because it's actually a super huge spoiler revealed at the end of the game, but I can at least say this.

They're not technically kids while naked, as the game explains they're actually older due to INSERT HUGE GAME REVEAL HERE, so the only partial nudity is with adults

That's the best I can explain without just flatout explaining a huge plot reveal.

Pretty sure canonically all the main characters are 18 or above anyway, so it's really more their appearence that bothers people, which is completely fair, it's weird and uncomfortable even if it, luckily, doesn't really show up that much.

I've also finished the game and know the real spoiler reason for how they look the way they are, the naked cockpit view is still both dumb and unnecessary, especially when it obviously sexualizes the girls more than the guys..

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game. GOTY for me, maybe top five game of the generation.

Makes me rethink what it means to construct a story, when the mind can be trusted to piece together a narrative of 13 overlapping stories told in nonlinear order.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Is this 1000 yr old dragon all over again
Without going into too much detail, no, it's not the creepy "oh they're actually hundreds of years old & just LOOK that young" crap. More "they're around 18-19ish"

If anything, this is waaaaaay less horny compared to Dragon's Crown. There's one woman with large cleavage who wears a super skin tight suit, but that's about it.

Pretty sure canonically all the main characters are 18 or above anyway, so it's really more their appearence that bothers people, which is completely fair, it's weird and uncomfortable even if it, luckily, doesn't really show up that much.

I've also finished the game and know the real spoiler reason for how they look the way they are, the naked cockpit view is still both dumb and unnecessary, especially when it obviously sexualizes the girls more than the guys..
Absolutely fair & justified, I just wanted to give context. Granted, it is rather silly we have to say it's a spoiler when it comes to the nudity/"they're not underage but we can't say why, for the love of god just trust us"

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Completely agreed.

Unfortunately worn out trying to argue with disingenuous posters that pretend it's full of fanservice to keep people from playing the game, but if you're interested in the slightest you should buy it.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh right.

Should be mentioned they actually managed to have a good gay relationship between men in this game. None of that stereotypical or homophobic crap.

Hmm my interest is piqued, I have never heard of this. The art style reminds me of Muramasa, is it the same team?
Yes, VanillaWare. They also did Odin Sphere & Dragon's Crown.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like it. I would rather have watched a movie or read a book of this game. I found the RTS segments annoying/uninteresting and the actual mechanics of walking around and reading one line at a time and going through their stupid thought bubbles to be irritating.

I am sorry.

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's the best exclusive of the year but definitely in my top for GOTY this year, fantastic game

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
I have played it and it's the best story in a game this year. Everyone needs to play this.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
I really want to play this but the thought of having to turn on my PS4 to play a VN is such a turn off. Give it to me portable!

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as to say it's GOTY, but it definitely has the best narrative. I was very sceptical going in as I figured it'd be another example of era weebs overhyping an anime game, but nah it genuinely deserves all the praise and then some.

Oct 25, 2017
IMO hard to defend the cockpit views when you contrast Fuyusaki and Kisaragi with any other character, including even the three other women. As far as I remember (mostly thinking in terms of the dialogue between the characters) it would've been an otherwise completely sexless function of the game to have the characters naked in their cockpits. But the portraits felt the need to go the extra step. It's a flaw. Thankfully for me not a dealbreaker because the game is fantastic.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I've never heard of this, but I like the comparison to Lost!

Is it a timed exclusive? I'd love to try this on the Switch. Or Xbox if it comes to Game Pass.
It will likely never be ported, Vanillaware almost went bankrupt just getting the PS4 version out and they had to cancel the Vita version. Unless it was a huge success in the west and Atlus decides to commission a port themselves, but I don't know about that. And for people mentioning the nudity: You can't actually see anything and it applies to both genders, so you're not gonna be seeing naked boobs or butts at all.

Oct 25, 2017
It will likely never be ported, Vanillaware almost went bankrupt just getting the PS4 version out and they had to cancel the Vita version. Unless it was a huge success in the west and Atlus decides to commission a port themselves, but I don't know about that. And for people mentioning the nudity: You can't actually see anything and it applies to both genders, so you're not gonna be seeing naked boobs or butts at all.
They did though start to form the shape of a butt on two female characters' portraits, along with their bare back in a *interesting* position, so I don't know if the description you gave is the full picture.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So, I keep hearing from people on ERA to play this. I've gone to PSN now three times over the last few months with intent to purchase. I watch the trailers to remind me what it is and hopefully push me to a buy. As soon as the videos shows some character beats, it always makes me uncomfortable and I decide to wait again.

To be completely transparent, it's the sexualization of seemingly school-age children that gives me pause and I re-evaluate supporting it.

For those that have played, how much of that is prevalent in the game?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
They did though start to form the shape of a butt on two female characters' portraits, along with their bare back in a *interesting* position, so I don't know if the description you gave is the full picture.
I agree that aspect wasn't necessary, but this is definitely not a game that anyone would play for fanservice since it's tame even compared to Dragon's Crown. It's certainly not the focus of the game in any case, I don't think.

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
yeah it's like sort of explained but it's still dumb and no one can convince me otherwise. These are children after all. They reference things that happened in "middle school" as if they're still big deals to them. Idk if any plot reasoning is a good excuse for sexualizing 14-16 year olds.

I am really enjoying the plot, and the action segments have grown on me. It's definitely entertaining, very much so. But I agree. I think the praise is a bit over the top too.

The plot is good but it feels like a very well done amalgamation of anime tropes/plots which isn't bad. And the gameplay could be better IMO. Visual novel is one thing, and it isn't bad but I would've preferred some puzzles or some sense of action in the VN parts.

The destruction mode ramps up but I still wish it had been more of a turn based RPG like FE.
I'm playing the game and I'm past the prologue and so far it just seems your bog standard anime take about high school children piloting robots, complete with unnecessary child nudity.

Miles Morales and Demon's Souls and Sackboy
The creepy Vanillaware stuff puts me off big-time, which is shame because everyone seems to be singing its praises.
This is the game with the child nudity right? Pass.
Huh, sounds interesting I th-

Oh right, it is THAT game.

Yeah I'm going to go with a big old "fuck that" on that one.

You guys...

There is no child nudity in this game, and no, there is no stupid 1000 year old dragon loli explanation either. If you really want a real explanation at risk of having this part of the story spoiled for you, then by all means click the spoiler below:

WARNING ACTUAL GAME ENDING SPOILERS:

For real. Only click if you have no intention at all of playing regardless of what anybody says:
All of the playable characters are actually 18 years of age. When you see them in their "nude" portraits during fighting, they're not actually in robot cockpits, but specialized growth pods like what you see in The Matrix. The schoolgirl and schoolboy versions of the characters going through daily life are never seen nude, and are digital representations of the actual characters, still in their pods. There is obviously a meticulous explanation for all of this but I'm not here to explain the whole plot.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
This is on my to buy list. Can we get a Grim Grimoire sequel now please? I'm probably the only one who wants it.

Nov 9, 2017
This is a great game, but it is definitely not intended for a large segment of gamers. If you don't like anime, this isn't going to convert you. If you do and like VNs then you will probably think this is amazing.

Same thing happened to Persona 5. Anime and JRPG fans gush over it since it is tops in the genre, so the game becomes more mainstream and other folks who don't like that genre play it and then are very unimpressed.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
For me P5R is the best Playstation game and GOTY, but 13 Sentinels is a close second for sure.

DLH

Oct 25, 2017
I'm torn on trying this one. I loved Muramasa and I'd like to try another good Vanillaware title sometime, but the VN/RTS gameplay doesn't especially strike my interest. That being said, with the praise it's been getting, I'd be willing to give it a chance, but then again, even just from watching PS Underground's gameplay video, the sexualization is a little off-putting to me. Granted, I'm sure that Muramasa had more of that kind of stuff than I even remember, and I loved that one. However, it seems like there's a fair amount that I'd have to grit my teeth and tolerate in order to experience the story.

Unfortunately worn out trying to argue with disingenuous posters that pretend it's full of fanservice to keep people from playing the game, but if you're interested in the slightest you should buy it.

Clearly I'm part of this nefarious conspiracy to prevent Vanillaware from making money.

You can't actually see anything and it applies to both genders, so you're not gonna be seeing naked boobs or butts at all.

I don't even really care how much you "actually see," but more the context and portrayal. For example, the differences in poses and framing between the male and female pilots are visually communicating more than just "these characters are unclothed". Even seeing one character lift up her skirt to summon a mech made me roll my eyes. I know it kinda comes with the territory with most anime-ish games, but I'd almost rather have full nudity that's properly contextualized than even mild fan service.

Still, I get that it's relatively tame, and I wouldn't necessarily consider it a dealbreaker for myself, but it's definitely a bit of a turnoff, and all the "it's not that bad" comments don't really make it less of a turnoff.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Heh, just platinum'd it today. Absolutely worth playing. Love how you can play it in whatever order you want and it all still comes together nicely in the end. Not even being a VN fan, I really appreciated how well done it was across so many threads on top of the intriguing overarching story. And the RTS section is so addicting!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So, I keep hearing from people on ERA to play this. I've gone to PSN now three times over the last few months with intent to purchase. I watch the trailers to remind me what it is and hopefully push me to a buy. As soon as the videos shows some character beats, it always makes me uncomfortable and I decide to wait again.

To be completely transparent, it's the sexualization of seemingly school-age children that gives me pause and I re-evaluate supporting it.

For those that have played, how much of that is prevalent in the game?

The sexualization is pretty much entirely limited to the cockpit view of the characters that shows on occasion during the battles. I found it uncomfortable as well, but it really doesn't show up that much.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Still making my way though little by little. It's been phenomenal so far. Really loving the RTS sections more than I thought I would.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I'd solidly put Ai and Steins;Gate above Sentinels personally as both have far more interesting twists and turns the story takes (imo of course). Did you finish Steins;Gate by chance? The beginning is notably slow (as it's more a slice of life), but I've never heard someone so vehemently against the later portion.

I did finish Steins Gate. The story was okay, but the thing that I really hate about that game and AI is all the misogynistic bullshit. It's not funny. It's not cute. It's offensive and something that feels so dated. I don't know how this crap is still acceptable in Japan (seems to only be Japanese games that still do this, and specifically VNs). Plus there seems to be a lot of homophobic shit in these games too.

I guess my question should be how sexist is this game. Because if it's in the same category as Steins Gate and AI it's a hard pass for me anyway.

But may be a moot point if it never leaves the PS ecosystem

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for this to go cheap. I keep hoping for something Xenogears tier in terms of Japanese sci-fi stories but end up getting burned by a lot of stuff I don't like.

Thug Larz

Designer @ Bungie
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
The sexualization is pretty much entirely limited to the cockpit view of the characters that shows on occasion during the battles. I found it uncomfortable as well, but it really doesn't show up that much.
Thanks for the response! I'll keep it in mind after I finish the other games in my queue.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Man, I preordered this and got it day 1, but it's just been sitting on my shelf untouched since then. I should really get around to playing it.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I did finish Steins Gate. The story was okay, but the thing that I really hate about that game and AI is all the misogynistic bullshit. It's not funny. It's not cute. It's offensive and something that feels so dated. I don't know how this crap is still acceptable in Japan (seems to only be Japanese games that still do this, and specifically VNs). Plus there seems to be a lot of homophobic shit in these games too.

I guess my question should be how sexist is this game. Because if it's in the same category as Steins Gate and AI it's a hard pass for me anyway.

But may be a moot point if it never leaves the PS ecosystem

Ahh, I see. I think Sentinels does have less particularly egregious scenes than S;G or Ai, but and this might be a bit of a personal distaste, but there are a couple girl characters who feel like their personality can be largely boiled down to liking a particular male cast member which might annoy you as well, and there is distinctly some male gaze-y moments in general with the cockpit view/one of the older cast members, so less so than the previous two, but not exactly void of it either imo. Ofc, different people have different thresholds/POVs on these things.

Honestly, if it's a moot point for you if it stays exclusive, then I expect it to be a moot point. I don't personally foresee the game leaving PS4.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will say it again, if 13 sentinels had more eyes on it, it would have easily won more awards and praise from sites.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Not really, it's basically this:
3etOZXi.jpeg