• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Yea well maybe if they didn't make this incredibly niche game a platform exclusive, more people would play it...

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
13 Sentinels deserves any praise it can get but I don't think it is this much of a meta-commentary about... anything really. There are obviously lots of hommage to the science-fiction of old and new, from Japan and the West, but beyond that the story is very literal compared to Evangelion for instance.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I really want to know if the game play is any good before I get this. I know the story is amazing, but everytime I ever look at the actual game play it looks like a confusing mess.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I love VNs and I thought this one was a load of shite. So your mileage may vary.

Play 428: Shibuya Scramble instead.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who adores anime, sci-fi, VNs in general and felt this game should have been absolutely my shit... Nah.

It's a pretty solid time though. Just don't go in expecting a masterclass game and instead expect a solid romp and be pleasantly surprised if you do think of it as a masterpiece. I was left more than a tad disappointed.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I very much enjoy reading/listening to Chris Plante when he is in love with a game. It is always a well worded experience even if I don't always agree

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I saw "13 Sentinels" and "Polygon" and immediately though "Chris Plante wrote this". He's also 100% right.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
"You haven't played the best PlayStation exclusive this year - 13 Sentinels" (Polygon)
"You haven't even put the best PlayStation exclusive this year in your top 50 list -.Dreams" (crazillo)

Fight me :P Though 13 Sentinels is excellent and deserves any additional attention

What other PS exclusives have come out this year besides TLOU2 and Ghost?

Dreams yet forgotten again in all the replies to your post :/

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I've never heard of this, but I like the comparison to Lost!

Is it a timed exclusive? I'd love to try this on the Switch. Or Xbox if it comes to Game Pass.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I aint tryna play no visual novel. I'm here for that gameplay, baby

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Im about 25 hours in and i think its absolutely fantastic, the story seems really simple at first but ive said "What the fuck" out loud several times by now because of some of the twists.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Currently playing through it, can confirm it's amazing. I'm about 40% far I think. Even when I'm not playing I can't stop thinking about who to trust and who not to trust in this story, and what is actually going on. So good.
And as expected since it's Vanillaware, the art and animations are even better. So much love poured into them, really gives each character and environment a ton of personality.

FFVII Remake was my GOTY before, but now I'm not so sure anymore.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I love VNs and I thought this one was a load of shite. So your mileage may vary.

Play 428: Shibuya Scramble instead.
Okay that's interesting.

I've been duped twice recently on VNs that people said were great: Steins Gate and AI: Somnium Files. Both are fucking terrible.

I don't think I've liked a VN since Phoenix Wright on the DS or maybe 999. Most are awful. So now I'm a bit skeptical...

Karsha

May 1, 2020
Might be the best game ever but its kinda hard to sell a visual novel on console, they are better fit for mobile/portable gaming imho...reading for hours and hours on a tv is just not fun.

Oct 31, 2017
What other PS exclusives have come out this year besides TLOU2 and Ghost?

13 Sentinels
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls Remake
Dreams
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Granblue Fantasy: Versus
Marvel's Iron Man VR
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
MLB The Show 20
Nioh 2
Patapon 2 Remastered
Persona 5 Royal
Predator: Hunting Grounds
Sackboy: The Big Adventure
Sakura Wars
The Last of Us Part II

Oct 31, 2017
Might be the best game ever but its kinda hard to sell a visual novel on console, they are better fit for mobile/portable gaming imho...reading for hours and hours on a tv is just not fun.

Isn't Phoenix Wright technically a visual novel? While on handheld for years, my gf and I are having a ton of fun with it; she REALLY likes it and asks to play it.

That's actually the only visual novel series I've ever played. I don't really know how other visual novels that aren't courtroom dramas and investigations play. =P

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Seeing all these mentions of Dreams makes me want to get into it again. I must've missed out on so much.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I really want to know if the game play is any good before I get this. I know the story is amazing, but everytime I ever look at the actual game play it looks like a confusing mess.
This is where I stand. The game's setting and story looks intriguing to me, but looking up some gameplay... yeah, that RTS battle system.... oof. I don't play those games at all and I'm super picky with non traditional real time combat games, so it sure as hell doesn't look like something I'm gonna enjoy playing.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Okay that's interesting.

I've been duped twice recently on VNs that people said were great: Steins Gate and AI: Somnium Files. Both are fucking terrible.

I don't think I've liked a VN since Phoenix Wright on the DS or maybe 999. Most are awful. So now I'm a bit skeptical...
I don't think I've heard anything negative about 428: Shibuya Scramble and I would agree. A lot of VN's are hit or miss, but that one is up there with the greats. Of course I do consider Steins;Gate to be one of those actually...so. Seriously though 428 is really funny and gets more tense as it goes on and the presentation is impeccable.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
This is where I stand. The game's setting and story looks intriguing to me, but looking up some gameplay... yeah, that RTS battle system.... oof. I don't play those games at all and I'm super picky with non traditional real time combat games, so it sure as hell doesn't look like something I'm gonna enjoy playing.
Fwiw I don't love the combat, but it's not a very large part of the experience. It's like 75/25 in favor of story. Just put combat difficulty down to easy and breeze through it, it's a minor distraction

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's interesting.

I'd solidly put Ai and Steins;Gate above Sentinels personally as both have far more interesting twists and turns the story takes (imo of course). Did you finish Steins;Gate by chance? The beginning is notably slow (as it's more a slice of life), but I've never heard someone so vehemently against the later portion.

The audio/visual flair during those segments help, and you can put it on easy to "blast" through it, but yeah, it's definitely the weakest part of the game imo, and can very much feel like a slog especially, if you're like me and kind of ignore it for as long as possible and then get story gated and have to spam a lot of it in succession.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Okay that's interesting.

If it helps, I also agree that AI was trash. I did like Steins;Gate though.

May 30, 2018
Incredible cast, soundtrack, art style, and the plot is so engaging in that it actively makes the player think about wtf is exactly going on and encourages you theorizing about what's next. It was a top 5 game of the PS4 gen, forget 2020

After being recommended to buy P3FES back in the day, and later 999 and 13 Sentinels, I've learned my lesson

When weebs hype a niche Japanese game with multiple threads, it's an automatic buy, I don't even do my research

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Crikey. Had seen people mentioning it regularly in GOTY threads. I think I've been pushed over the edge.

Don't suppose there are any PS5 enhancements?

Edit: Just seen comments on child nudity. Meh. At the risk of rushing to judgement, seems I'll pass.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did my part. Not my game of the year, but easily the best story I've experienced this year, in any medium.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So for those who want the "why are they naked" context:

.....I can't say because it's actually a super huge spoiler revealed at the end of the game, but I can at least say this.

They're not technically kids while naked, as the game explains they're actually older due to INSERT HUGE GAME REVEAL HERE, so the only partial nudity is with adults

That's the best I can explain without just flatout explaining a huge plot reveal.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, sounds interesting I th-

Oh right, it is THAT game.

So for those who want the "why are they naked" context:

.....I can't say because it's actually a super huge spoiler revealed at the end of the game, but I can at least say this.

They're not technically kids while naked, as the game explains they're actually older due to INSERT HUGE GAME REVEAL HERE, so the only partial nudity is with adults

That's the best I can explain without just flatout explaining a huge plot reveal.

Yeah I'm going to go with a big old "fuck that" on that one.

Nov 19, 2019
I am really enjoying the plot, and the action segments have grown on me. It's definitely entertaining, very much so. But I agree. I think the praise is a bit over the top too.

The plot is good but it feels like a very well done amalgamation of anime tropes/plots which isn't bad.
Sadly agree with this. I was totally convinced the hype would payoff for the first half or so of the game. But once I "reassembled the loaf" around that point, it lost a lot of steam and started to feel overlong.

A good game and a pretty unique experience overall. But I don't think it subverts tropes so much as is ultimately overcome by them (especially twist on twist on twist stuff that is pretty common).

TigerBrownie

One Winged Slayer
May 9, 2018
I was consistently blown away by this games narrative. I can usually guess story twists and conclusions when watching/playing anything, but 13 Sentinels threw me for a loop on multiple occasions. I still can't believe how ambitious the story was, and that they managed to nail it.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have been fooled so many times. Buy Vanquish, buy Ys 8...
I will probably buy it when it's 20 bucks.