• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
All of this threatens to be too much — a visual novel with 13 co-leads, an RTS, a fan wiki. And on top of that, the adventure whirls between genres and influences every half hour. That everything comes together, that it can be so easily comprehended in the end, is a magic trick. Which is to say, I can't explain how it's done. It just ... is.

15___13_Sentinels___Atlus.jpg

The best comparison — and there aren't many — is Lost, the ABC drama about a group of plane crash survivors deserted on an island brimming with mysterious science experiments and sci-fi tropes. Each week, the show would follow one member of the ensemble, flashing back in time (and sometimes forward) to reveal more about their motives and about their connections to the island and the people with whom they're marooned.

And yes, at first, this abundance of references, parodies, and imitations feels like what Wilde described: mediocrity paying flattery to greatness. Each individual story doesn't resonate on the same level as Groundhog Day or A.I. or Solaris or Neon Genesis Evangelion. But soon enough, it becomes abundantly clear that the game isn't fawning over "better" works. Instead, it's delivering a critique.

Source: https://www.polygon.com/reviews/22189390/13-sentinels-review-ps4

reminder:

1546846565.png

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
YEES
13 SENTINELS UNROBBED LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOO

Look, this game has it's tropes and I know the anime aesthetic and the fact that they're nude (it's covered) while they're in the mechs can turn some people off, but the story in this game and the way that it's told is nothing short of spectacular.

Edit: I encourage everyone who even has a passing interest in this to give it a shot. It is a lot of reading, something which may turn people off (I hate reading, to be honest) but they figured out how to give you 13 points of view of a story, as well as story dished out in battle segments and a glossary that unlocks over time and make it feel like it's not at all confusing. Once you start to get into it, it's hard to stop. It's the first time in a long time where I've felt with any piece of media that I absolutely just had to know what happened next.

Last edited:

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You missed the best paragraph;

Chris Plante said:
I suspect the creators pulled a sleight of hand, pointing my attention in one direction without me even noticing. I heard about a character from 1945, so I selected the protagonist dressed in a uniform from World War II to learn more. His story began with a glimpse of a space colony in the distant future, so I dug through the encyclopedia for context. Each breadcrumb led me to another breadcrumb, and by the end, I'll be damned if I hadn't reassembled the full loaf.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Doing god's work spreading the word about this game

It's really good, people

Oct 26, 2017
I might have to try it. Everything about this game seems right up my alley, but the early look at naked robot pilots turned me off from it.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's easily one of the all time greats for me. I'll be thinking about this game for years to come.

I was just expecting the usual solid and very enjoyable Vanillaware experience but it ended up being so much more. The game makes you ask so many questions, and keeps making you ask questions and fully answers everything and more.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
13 Sentinels is indeed the best Playstation exclusive of the year.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
2020 has been a weird year but i don't think i ever saw myself agreeing with polygon actually happening for once

I wish the digital artbook that came with it had more art. It's my one complaint.
there's an artbook out in japan and there will be more than likely a localisation in the future since it contains a lot of text too

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
[insert potentially controversial opinions about Lost]

Don't let the Lost comparison put you off, 13 Sentinels actually manages to stick the landing.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Is this the Booksmart of video games? Everybody talks about how it's being robbed of its achievements.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it's a pretty amazing game! I blind bought it, because I'm a big fan of Vanillaware, and it's one of my favorite games of this year for sure. I need to play more of it soon. Probably during holiday break!

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I liked it, but I don't think it's as great as many make it out to be. Some characters and plot strands are definitely more interesting than others.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir remains Vanillaware's magnum opus.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Asked my parents for this game for Christmas so I'll finally be getting around to playing it this holiday break. So excited, I keep hearing amazing things about the story.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it digitally purely on the recommendations from Era.

Just haven't got round to playing it yet

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Went to go check and yeah, while it's not in my top five of the year, it is my PlayStation exclusive of the year for sure.

Highly recommend the game to those looking for a story centered experience.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
The genres it embodies (RTS and VN, more like a mix of both) are REALLY hard sells to general consumers. Substantially more so than Dragon's Crown, and Odin Sphere's.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The Analysis section rules. It made following such a huge and complex story easy and manageable. When seemingly random story elements click, its amazing.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
I find that hard to believe given I've played Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Last of Us 2, Miles Morales and Demons Souls this year and loved all of them.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I had a fun time with it, but I'm not quite on board with the extreme praise it gets on here. It's a solid 8 game with an interesting story and great art. It's an interactive VN with very high production values. It's definitely worth playing, but I'd put many standard VN's over this.

Oct 27, 2017
but the early look at naked robot pilots turned me off from it.
yeah it's like sort of explained but it's still dumb and no one can convince me otherwise. These are children after all. They reference things that happened in "middle school" as if they're still big deals to them. Idk if any plot reasoning is a good excuse for sexualizing 14-16 year olds.
It's a good game but some of the praise it gets is definitely over the top
I am really enjoying the plot, and the action segments have grown on me. It's definitely entertaining, very much so. But I agree. I think the praise is a bit over the top too.

The plot is good but it feels like a very well done amalgamation of anime tropes/plots which isn't bad. And the gameplay could be better IMO. Visual novel is one thing, and it isn't bad but I would've preferred some puzzles or some sense of action in the VN parts.

The destruction mode ramps up but I still wish it had been more of a turn based RPG like FE.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Just started Juro's prologue and I'm really digging the style and colour scheme. To me, Muramasa might be the one I liked more from a pure gameplay, but the style, music and atmosphere (and excellent spanish localization) here are at a whole new level.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I picked this up for like 30 bucks at Gamestop during their fall sale. Sitting on my shelf waiting for my free time to catch up to it. I look forward to it greatly.