• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
If you had been handed the reigns to create the next Danganronpa game: Danganronpa 4/V4/whatever, how would you go about it?

Where would the setting be? In a school again? On a boat? In the jungle?

What Ultimate Students would you like to see?

What would be the endgame twist that the characters have to find out? And how would they deal with it?

Potential murder plotlines? That kind of stuff.

A bunch of people say there can't be a sequel due to the end of V3, but let's say it's a reboot.

How would you do it?

Oct 27, 2017
A locked office building or something with working adults instead of high schoolers would be my pick if they really had to make another one.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
A reboot that throws out all the previous lore/story/characters from the previous games aside from Monokuma.

Noctis

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Keep monokuma.

Ditch the super students.

no despair/light bs.

Make it like saw where some students got kidnapped into this brutal murder game where the population watches in horror and many think it's a fake snuff film when it's not.

The twist is.. you're actually playing the mastermind and you the player don't know.

Oct 25, 2017
A new series; spiritual successor
Keep a lot of the familiar elements without having to tie it all together or reanimate corpses

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Make it completely unrelated to the Junko/Despair stuff.

Make it more enclosed like the first game (no outdoor areas), more claustrophobic.

Do or don't drop the Ultimates thing, but have a wider variety of aged characters.

Basically just make it a standalone killing game.

999 but with trials.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
Since each DR tries to one-up the previous one, the only way to go from v3 is alternate timelines. So get Uchikoshi to make it.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Total reboot, completely change the killing game set-up instead of recycling it again. After V3 (and how great it was) the well is dry and there's no point in trying to iterate on the same old premise again.

Keep Monokuma though.

PlatStrat

Oct 27, 2017
Combine it with Zero Escape. A bunch of students are trying to figure out who is the person that set off the events that led to Radical-6 and add a Free the Soul member into the mix. Then maybe we would finally get a decent conclusion to both series.

aSqueakyLime

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
England
Kind of a cop out answer but I wouldn't. V3 was the perfect place to end the series on and it would kind of ruin the entire message of that game if DR4 was made.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
A reboot if it has to exist. V3 combusted the entire franchise in the best way possible. I wouldn't take any game set in that universe seriously because of the twist.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
  • Complete reboot.
  • No Junko, for the love of god.
  • Abandon Hope vs. Despair theme. Find something different.
  • Get rid of the crap mini-games that destroy the pace and are neither clever nor fun. Integrate mechanics more into the narrative. Nonstop Debates, Closing Arguments, and Debate Scrums are exaples of this.
  • Maintain the "Ultimates," maintain the killing game, maintain Monokuma.
  • Make things fresh. Don't rely on the same tropes that the series has relied on over and over again, even if it's to subvert them.
  • The conceit could be anything. Maybe all of them are willing participants from the get-go, but that's not a twist. Maybe there's a group of killers; make it more Werewolf inspired.
There's a lot that could be done within the context of Danganronpa. The creators just need to let it happen.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Count me in for getting rid of everything but monokuma. He's the series mascot and acts as the avatar for the mastermind. Just don't force Junko back into it. Have a varied cast of characters with different ages and different occupations. That way you could make the protagonist a high schooler but the whole cast aren't high schoolers.

You could maybe call back the ultimate student thing by having each character the best in a certain field. Just don't give me that hope peak bullshit or any of the anime despair themes.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
I think you've got to continue the meta stuff -- make the new cast of characters fans of the original games, and have a new Killing Game take place in the "real world." Accompany it with a more realistic art style. Some good comedy could come out of the fact that some of the more over-the-top stuff can no longer happen in the real world (of course that wouldn't apply to Monokuma, who would still have supernatural powers somehow).

Oct 25, 2017
Monokuma stays, everything else is gone.

Also there should not be more damn Danagnronpa, V3 has the perfect ending.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
play as the danganronpa staff being thrown into a killing game by a deranged fan who wanted more after V3

edit: the fan is also in a monokuma fursuit

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much reboot the Franchise. Keep Monokuma, some of the wacky elements but get rid of Junko, the Hope/Despair crap, the post end of the world crap, drop the ultimate titles as they rarely ever mattered (outside of Nagito) and subvert expectations by having the killing game actually be completed with only a single or small amount of survivors and maybe not even revealing the mastermind at all in the main game and certainly not making them the biggest focus towards the end like the previous games did.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
  • Get rid of the crap mini-games that destroy the pace and are neither clever nor fun. Integrate mechanics more into the narrative. Nonstop Debates, Closing Arguments, and Debate Scrums are exaples of this.

This, so much. I couldn't stand the mini-games anymore in DRV3: they served no purpose than to grind the pace to an halt. I litteraly groaned each time that stupid taxi mini-game was up.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
total reboot

the setting is a subway system. nobody gets their own room, but they are free to explore the underground as they like. so they can go off on their own, form camps, etc. trials take place on a moving subway because it'd look cool. no podiums or anything during trials, just up close and personal discussions in an dark, uncomfortable, gritty, shaky environment. with each trial, they steadily get closer to some final destination where a twist will happen that's way too galaxy brain for me to come up with myself.

the core cast is an eclectic mix of characters who didn't survive the previous games (and the anime i guess), for a remixed danganronpa experience. no rehashed murder plans this time though, please. the whole conceit is seeing characters you do know in situations you don't know. i think that would be a cool concept for an anniversary game.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
ok I how about this: no students, no high school, the entire cast is just all of Junko's personalities fighting for dominance

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something that starts as a killing game, but then everybody escapes early on and it turns into something closer to Ultra Despair Girls.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
New continuity that only shares monokuma. Killing Game and Class Trials are functionally different than previous games, perhaps even taking inspiration from DR3 in the form of the added conditional rules per character.

I just want something new and fresh. V3 was absolutely the last word on old DR.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
Someone suggested in a previous thread that we should actually play as the mastermind. That would be fun.

I'd still rather not have another game in the series, but it's probably inevitable.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Danganronpa 54: All Stars Edition

Makoto
Kyoko
Byakuya
Asahina
Hiro
Hajime
Chiaki
Nagito
Kaede
Kokichi
Shuichi

All together. Boom.

(Or just do a full reboot. Actually yeah, do a reboot)

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on the reboot angle. Don't make it connected to the existing lore, except maybe to say the killer was inspired by the show. I love the series, I love the murder mystery angle, I loved the third game, but I'm ready for a fresh start.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
An all new killing game which is set in the universe where Junko's plan in D2GD succeeded and the whole world became Junko clones and so therefore all 16 participants in the killing game are Junko and the mastermind is ALSO Junko.

Serious answer is that I wouldn't want to make the fourth game as I would not at all have made V3 and I loved V3. I therefore believe that the D4 we get would be much better than anything I type here. A boring answer but hey it's probably true.

Oct 28, 2017
Bunch of people that applied to be on the next Danganronpa. They read the script but then all of a sudden the body of someone who was supposed to be among the survivors at the end is discovered.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
the core cast is an eclectic mix of characters who didn't survive the previous games (and the anime i guess), for a remixed danganronpa experience. no rehashed murder plans this time though, please. the whole conceit is seeing characters you do know in situations you don't know. i think that would be a cool concept for an anniversary game.
a cast comprised of previous characters in a new situation would be one of the better things they could do.

a game with actual branching routes based on your choices and deductions would pretty cool too, where the plot actually diverges based on who you perceived to be the killer, with no "true" killer in cases, just things guided by your choices

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
No killing, no dispair, just the board game, itadaki street style.
I am done with the adventure part since the 3rd ending, or, if you want absolutely one make it a love game.
You have to arrange couples among like minded people, that's your challenge, a mate maker, you get judged upon if you make solid couples or not.
Of course, commented by the love kuma (don't remember her name).

Who gives 2 cents anyway, it's just a game, have them unplug the cord in the end.

See, the despair of the 3rd one came back to me, mission accomplished i guess... still bitter, still bitter.

Ultimate singer, ultimate hugger, ultimate dresser, ultimate make up artist, ultimate spiritual inspiration, ultimate listener, ultimate cook, ultimate love novel writer, ultimate portrait painter... that kind of thing...
oh... and ultimate plumber, we need Luigi in there, he needs a caring mate.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Danganronpa: Battle Royale

Bunch of people that applied to be on the next Danganronpa. They read the script but then all of a sudden the body of someone who was supposed to be among the survivors at the end is discovered.
The sequel:

A bunch of randoms in a gaming forum are pitching the sequel for Danganronpa, they end up dying one by one in a similar manner to what the poster above of each one described.

Danganronpa 5.99

Last edited: