• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Make your choice!

• Konami

Votes: 866 41.0%
  • Capcom

Votes: 178 8.4%
  • Square Enix

Votes: 452 21.4%
  • SEGA

Votes: 615 29.1%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
The results of the poll reflect my opinion on the matter too. If you take away Silent Hill and MGS then Konami has very little I care about.

Sega have a lot of really classic games from the Mega Drive era but I haven't played much of their stuff in the last couple of decades aside from some Yakuza and the Sonic racing games.

Square Enix had a lot of classic PS1 stuff that really helped shape my tastes at the time, but again I don't play many of their games any more.

Capcom is a classic publisher who is among the best in the industry in terms of its legacy, and they still release plenty of games I still want to play nowadays. Easily the best of the bunch.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Sega. It'd fucking suck to lose Yakuza, but the other three companies just have way more stuff to lose.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that you say "nowadays" then choose one of Konami's legacy games. "Nowadays" Konami is easily still worse even if you dislike SE's direction. At least one of them still consistently makes games lol
The nowadays is in relation to se, lol. I don't care that se is still doing stuff. I'm not losing castlevanias nor mgs

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Might as well say Konami cause they have no interest in using what they have...you might as well say they already ARE "deleted"

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I initially voted Square because I haven't played much Final Fantasy over the years, but since Eidos counts as part of Square, I'd be losing Hitman, Thief, Deus Ex, Tomb Raider...no chance.

Capcom is my favorite third-party publisher, no way I could lose them. With Konami, I only really care about Metal Gear, Silent Hill and Castlevania, but those would be three real big ones to lose.

When it comes to Sega, I only really care about Yakuza and Bayonetta. Losing Yakuza would suck, but it wouldn't be as bad as the alternative. And I feel like Platinum would make something else like Bayonetta if it were to disappear.

Sega is the only choice.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Screw it.

If this is an acceptable thread for this forum, and the mods won't lock it, then kiss me goodbye.

I didn't spend over a decade of my life fighting to finally get a job working on a video game to see a thread this atrocious survive and see people who claim to be my fellow gamers and players who love gaming laugh and vote for companies who have made games that have sold hundreds of millions of copies to fans around the world to never have existed.

Love or hate their games, these games led to many like me working passionately their whole lives to deliver experiences for all of the people who frequent forums like ResetERA.

Taking any one of these companies out of existence would not only eliminate their games, it would result in hundreds of games, features, and billions of experiences being sucked out of people's lives. Many of these people went on to create the games you love today because of the games they played decades ago.

Frankly, anyone would would wish for or joke about the idea of any game company's games having never existed isn't worth my time.

If this thread will not be locked, I request a permenant self ban.

Nobody here wishes for one of these companies to not exist anymore. It's precisely based on how important they are to the industry that the question was made.

It's meant to be a hard hypothetical scenario kind of thing. People do this all the time using human lives i.e "Would you kill an innocent person to save 5" and i don't think they're psychopaths because of that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
OP should've included Bandai Namco imo. Maybe instead of Sega, who as a console maker really complicates things.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Can't give up my beloved;
Metal Gear, Castlevania, Silent Hill, Contra,
Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man or
Final Fantasy.

Sonic & Sega can seriously go elsewhere.

Pogogacy

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Square because they have the most dispensible and least diverse gameogrophy. The other 3 all have legitimate GOAT candidates in a variety of different genres, with Square it's just JRPGs.

People choosing Sega seem to forget that without Sega consoles and arcade cabinets most of the other companies might not even exist anymore.

Anyone voting for Sega is obviously young and/or completely ignorant about videogame history. They're by far the most important and influential of the four companies listed. Not even a debate.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
If I was killing games moving forward Konami would be easy but the back catalogue? Suikoden, Silent Hill, Metal Gear, nope. Sorry SEGA.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was close to picking Square but then the list I saw had Hitman which revitalized that franchise for me.

Capcom is the easy choice for staying so they're number 1.

I really don't care about any Konami game, MGS included.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Team Silent is gone, Kojima left, MGS franchise is dead without him. I mean, who even needs Konami around? (apart from slot machine gamblers)

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
No Phantasy Star, No Panzer Dragoon, No Shining Force or Dragon Force. No Virtua Fighter or Fighting Vipers or Megamix, No Shinobi, No Streets of Rage, No Skies of Arcadia or Shenmue, No Virtua Racing or Daytona USA or Outrun, No Golden Axe or Altered Beast, No Toe Jam & Earl, No Gunstar Heroes, No Herzog Zwei, FFS No Alien Isolation!

You guys are nuts. Take Sega, take me.

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Konami for sure. I don't give a shit about anything they've made.

Square stays because I'm a huge FF nerd. Capcom stays because MHW is awesome. And while I don't particularly care about Sega's games or consoles, they were extremely influential and helped shape the gaming landscape we know and love today.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Well out of those? Can't give up Capcom's ever, and with SEGA's and KONAMI's libraries of arcade classics mean I'm gonna pick Square

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only Sega thing I'm way into is Yakuza. For any other one of those, I can't even come close to saying I only care about one of their properties.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
Shenmue
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon on-rail shooter Series
Panzer Dragoon Saga (RPG)
Virtua Fighter
Sonic the Hedgehog
Valkyria Chronicles
Jet Set Radio
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star Online
Super Monkey Ball
Streets of Rage
Shinobi
Shining Force
Golden Axe
Space Channel 5
REZ
Samba De Amigo
Outrun
SEGA Rally
After Burner
Space Harrier
Virtua Tennis
HANG-ON
NiGHITS
Yakuza
Binary Domain
Bayonetta
Crazy Taxi
The House of the Dead
Virtua Cop
2K Sports
Guardian Heroes
Comix Zone
And many many more..

That would be a disastrous lose to gaming heritage for sure.
I am not even sure how much I will be as attached to this medium to this day without my SEGA's memory.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
By the letter of the question Square Enix, and easily as that's the post merger company. Squaresoft would still have existed, as would Enix and Eidos.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania and Metal Gear aren't enough to save Konami.
You are the weakest link, goodbye.

KimonoNoNo

Oct 26, 2017
Sega is the last company I'd erase, far too many classic unique games you can't get anywhere else.

Konami's first out the door, Square next and then Capcom.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Voted for Square Enix. As someone growing up with 8-bit and 16-bit games voting for Konami seems like madness. Capcom and Sega are also too important. I'm probably missing some SE games off the top of my head, but there are plenty of JRPGs to go around.

Vinegar Joe

Oct 26, 2017
I cannot believe Konami and Sega are leading this poll. That's honestly disappointing.

The fuck Konami brigade must have brainwashed everyone in to thinking they did nothing of worth, ever. Like they never existed before MGS.

As others have said the answer has to be Square Enix - you still get all the best FF etc via Square.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people are just voting Konami because they currently hate Konami. Probably too divisive to be on the list.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Konami has MGS. Sorry, just can't do it. That franchise alone is way too formative and special to me.

Capcom has RE. Again, a no go. I don't want a world without games like RE4 or REmake2.

Square Enix publishes Hitman, TR, and Deus Ex, all of which have been great.

That leaves Sega. Much as I loved Yakuza 0 and Sonic Mania, I think I'm good.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sega.

Would certainly miss some of their stuff including the arcade era, but they also have so much that never applealed to me, and since this is a purely selfish choice/experiment, it'd be an easy choice.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every series I used to be into from Square aren't for me anymore, so I guess Square.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Konami is the only safe pick, losing contra, castlevania, and mgs is a big blow but the weakest impact to gaming as a whole.

Deleting Sega and Capcom deletes gaming as we know it from existence due to their impact on the Arcade days of gaming.

Deleting Square also has drastic sweeping consequences in terms of Eastern and Western publishing relations

what if I don't like their games though
You'd fuck us all over regardless.