• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Back when All Star Battle came out (2014), I swear I remembered reading that Araki signed off on all of the different localization names, which is total "That's bullshit but I believe it" territory. I mean look at this shit

ET8WQEfU0AATm-J.jpg

That was such a bizarre decision as they previously used Polnareff in the Capcom game, OVA and Viz's manga localization. I'm glad they ignored it when it was time to localize the Stardust Crusaders anime. lol

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I greatly prefer Gabo to Ruff in Dragon Quest 7.

Also I greately prefer the Dragon Warrior naming and conventions, Heal, HealUs, HealUsAll, Hurt, Hurtmore, Hurtmost, I love that
Don't forget the Holy Trinity.

wYafuaM_d.jpg

Also, my favorite spell name is still Bedragon, I don't ever think "Be Dragon," I just think of it like all one word, "Bedragon," like "Bespectacled," and it makes me laugh and it's the best name for a spell ever. Puff is a little too close to Poof for me.

(It turns you into a dragon and it kicks ass, it should be in newer dragon quest games)

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017

Not sure if the "this is Era" applies to my statement as to be clear, I actually like the name Aeris. It's pretty and I used it for years until I found out about the official translation of the name per Square.

I just also have no problems with the actual name, Aerith and would sacrifice the mistranslation ever being used happily for the satisfaction of seeing people who can't get over Square Enix fixing the translation over 10 years ago fuck off into the sun with any complaints.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
... Erm. Guys?
Some real people are named "Edith". "Meredith". "Judith".
Just saying.
Those are fine and don't feel weird on the mouth for those with English (American) accents.
It's been a while since I took linguistics, but it has to do with how the tongue shapes the sounds.

The "-dith" is a normal feeling and sounding ending to some words/names, but "Aer" (like saying "air") being directly before a "-ith" (with no "d" to help form it) feels unusual because it's not common to have an "er" sound directly before a "ith" sound.

People saying "if you heard Aerith as a kid you wouldn't think it's weird" are actually correct. If you had grown up with that name and pronounced it that way it would now feel normal to you since it's a name you've likely spoken it or heard it for decades at this point.

For those that played the English translation or just haven't heard the correct pronunciation (and didn't play Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia or anything else with her in it) it is an unusual name to say or hear. And IMO good translation should take that into account.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
For those that played the English translation or just haven't heard the correct pronunciation (and didn't play Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia or anything else with her in it) it is an unusual name to say or hear. And IMO good translation should take that into account.
I just don't see why a name containing a single unusual combination of sounds - and really not even that awkward to articulate - should be a big deal.

Especially in a work of fantasy, where "unusual" and sometimes downright absurd names are almost more common than "normal" or conventional names. Should a translation of a non-Japanese name in a Japanese piece of media be held to a different standard than native-English fantasy works?

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Don't forget the Holy Trinity.

wYafuaM_d.jpg

Also, my favorite spell name is still Bedragon, I don't ever think "Be Dragon," I just think of it like all one word, "Bedragon," like "Bespectacled," and it makes me laugh and it's the best name for a spell ever. Puff is a little too close to Poof for me.

(It turns you into a dragon and it kicks ass, it should be in newer dragon quest games)

Yup, BeDragon is awesome too. I get why they changed it to match the japanese blah blah blah, but damn the Dragon Warrior naming had its own history and charm. Bedragoning so you can kill slimes....

Orson9999999

Oct 26, 2017
Battle Angel Alita -- original Japanese title was Ganmu, which translates to Gun Dream. Plus, the main character's name is Gally in the original, not Alita. Gun Dream is certainly a strange title, but it's not as strange sounding as "Battle Angel". I guess it's just a product of how stuff was localized in the 80s and 90s.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Because he's meant to be named Zoro since it's a reference to Zorro shown by the mask like appearance he has when he wears his bandana.

Viz has messed up on things Oda intended before like with Elbaf (which is "Fable" backwards) naming it Elbaph or the current Raftel/Laugh Tale problem.

He is clearly a swordsman, hence "Zoro" but they changed it because of how infamously litigious the holders of the Zorro name are outside of Japan. It's as you can guess, a needless change in the face of the hell between copyright and public domain.

EDIT: Note that the current owners of the Zorro IP have lost in court over the trademark, too.

Thanks. Raftel/Laugh Tale was really messed up because it came to us out of nowhere.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
The English dub of Doki Doki Precure changed the name of Alice Yotsuba to Clara Yotsuba.

I mean I have a lot of problems with the dub as a whole (cuz it was one of those 'let's localize and Westernize the shit out of this show and skip a bunch of episodes' types of dub rather than an actual accurate dub) but like why change the character's already Western first name lol?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It hasn't really hit full-force yet, but "Yhwach" from Bleach.

I get why you wouldn't want to translate it as "YHWH" but "Yhwach" and "Yuha Bach" are both terrible-sounding double-Babelfished transliterations.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Because he's meant to be named Zoro since it's a reference to Zorro shown by the mask like appearance he has when he wears his bandana.

Viz has messed up on things Oda intended before like with Elbaf (which is "Fable" backwards) naming it Elbaph or the current Raftel/Laugh Tale problem.
Iirc, it was Zoro in the Viz translation until the 4kids dub aired.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Iirc, it was Zoro in the Viz translation until the 4kids dub aired.

Yup, they changed it so it coincided with the 4kids dub and then Funimation inherited and kept it Zolo for the broadcast dub but changed it to Zoro for the DVD dub. When it went to adult swim/Toonami it stayed Zoro but Viz kept it Zolo and has for some 800 chapters.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's part of a theme. All of the people from and around Heliodor have gem-themed names in the localization. Gemma, Amber, Jasper, King Carnelian, Jade, Chalky, etc.
Eh, all the town's have their themes, but the name of the party character is what ends up in the marketing, the trailers and so forth, not the npcs. Jade just seems a little bit...on the nose when they could have done anything else or left it alone.

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
Aerith always. I low-key judge people that continue to call her by an incorrect name when she clearly introduces herself as Aerith in multiple pieces of media since VII.

I know she's fictional but I can't help it. Respect the woman.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
Gundam has a lot of this kind of stuff, but Full Burnern instead of Full Vernian always bugged the crap out of me.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
no other place than idiotic aeris debates do i see people who will deadass try to sell me on the nonsensical mouthfeel of a word

y'all are adults, you pay taxes, grow up and move on with your lives. it's a video game character's name

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
Outside of Zoro/Zolo, Funimation licensed "Case Closed" in America and changed just about every name under the sun: Shinichi became Jimmy, Ran became Rachel, etc. If only given one choice I want my favorite character changed back, give me Hattori Heiji instead of....ugh.....Harley Hartwell.

Luckily they seem to be going back to the actual Japanese names with the recent movie dubs. I've not actually watched the last one with Heiji but I assume that he gets his actual name back since everyone else does.

Though the Case Closed dub always cracked me up because the decision to move the series to America/Canada was clearly not fully thought out. At all. Still love me that one early episode set in Osaka where you have all these obvious Osaka landmarks including Osaka Castle and the dub is just like, "Oh yeah here's the Toronto Zoo."

My understanding from Funimation was that the studio in Japan demanded the name changes to Detective Conan, not realizing that US audiences wouldn't prefer that. Not that it doesn't still suck, but that wasn't a change they just made for the hell of it.
(...as an aside...I admit that I actually like the Case Closed to title. I know I'm wrong to, but I do.)

Nothing wrong with liking it! Especially since Akai/Sera have that as a catchphrase of sorts as an actual reference to the English title. I thought it was a really cool nod.

Last edited:

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's petty as hell, but I really wish the Chronicles part would be taken out of the Western Xenoblade name. It's unnecessary. Xenoblade, Xenoblade X, and Xenoblade 2 sound just fine.

Oct 25, 2017
"Destructo Disc" sounds dumb as hell and reeks of bad 90s comics

Kienzan's direct translation also sounds bad (Spirit Circle Cut) but it could easily be localized into something less stupid than Destructo Disc.

I'm super grateful the Latin American dub kept the Japanese names for the special techniques. Although some names were adapted, like...

Chi Chi became "Milk" (Because Chi Chi is slang for beast and that wouldn't fly here back in the day).

Vegeta is pronounced as Veh-Geh-Tah.

Kakarot kept the Japanese pronunciation of "Kakarotto".

And some others. But I'm actually surprised they managed to keep "Mr. Satan" intact over here.

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
In the Dragon Ball Super dub footage that i have watch during the Tournament of Power Arc, they called Toppo as Top which i think is pretty stupid tbh. I think Toppo is a fine name and is one where i would change the name.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm super grateful the Latin American dub kept the Japanese names for the special techniques. Although some names were adapted, like...

Chi Chi became "Milk" (Because Chi Chi is slang for beast and that wouldn't fly here back in the day).

Vegeta is pronounced as Veh-Geh-Tah.

Kakarot kept the Japanese pronunciation of "Kakarotto".

And some others. But I'm actually surprised they managed to keep "Mr. Satan" intact over here.
It made for a very awkward ending to the Boo saga with ALL OF EARTH going "Satan! Satan!" with their hands raised to the sky.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
In the Dragon Ball Super dub footage that i have watch during the Tournament of Power Arc, they called Toppo as Top which i think is pretty stupid tbh. I think Toppo is a fine name and is one where i would change the name.

Apparently the english games and merch ignored that and call him "Toppo"

So you got your wish

darksider321

Dec 8, 2020
Apparently the english games and merch ignored that and call him "Toppo"

So you got your wish

While great that future games and merch ignore the top name, won't change much of the super dub still calling him that name unless in the future when they revisit his character, they actually say his actual name. It is a nitpick but something that annoys me.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I have one that's sort of the opposite

They should have used "Bag" instead of "Kaban" in Kemono Friends. Crunchyroll did this at first but it got changed later, I'm assuming due to publisher meddling.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the academy/academia stuff, I just want it used more instead of seeing gakuen in the title of anime and manga because all gakuen means is academy/school.