• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
zolo.png

I still cringe with "Zolo".

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Agreed. All the names were puns anyway, and it'd lose some of the fun if you couldn't understand them. Ditto with pokemon.
I acknowledge that the goofy English names in conjunction with an actual acknowledgement of the game's setting would present issues of their own (and I agree keeping the Japanese names wouldn't have been ideal either), but outright recontextualizing the series' entire setting feels Brock-making-"jelly-donuts"- level condescension to me, as a localization choice.

It's just sort of an incredibly difficult series to localize "right."

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The fact that "Zolo" is still used in the manga to this day is fucking ridiculous.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Mine would have to be Dark Prince from Puyo Puyo, just doesn't have the same ring as SATAN, luckily we got this brief moment before Puyo games started getting localized

d60.png
Seems like a good a place as any to ask a question I've had ever since I learned about the whole Hercule situation in DBZ.

In Japan, is it true Satan is/was understood more as simply a great and powerful demon (like "a satan") rather than an actual mythological character?

I remember asking this question several years and getting an answer like that. It was explained to me by invoking the relationship between Dracula and vampire. We understand Dracula to be a specific character in a very specific context, even if that context changes and is flexible. We would not call a regular vampire a Dracula nor would we name any old character Dracula because that name is loaded with a great deal of cultural context. So we would never refer to someone as Dracula who was not meant to be Count Dracula specifically, nor would we refer to a vampire as "a dracula" because we have too much importance attached to the name.

Was there a misunderstanding on a similar level in regards who or what Satan was since there was no cultural context? I don't ask this thinking it really matters at all, more just a curiosity.

Edit: Sounds like this was bull shit! 🤣

Last edited:

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Change ffv Bartz to Butz. Not because the former is inaccurate (cause eh) , but if I was given that sort of power I choose chaos. Give me my butts

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Wings of Desire is a terrible name for Der Himmel über Berlin. Why couldn't it just be The Heaven Over Berlin?

Show Me Love is also a super bland name for the Swedish film Fucking Åmål.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a good a place as any to ask a question I've had ever since I learned about the whole Hercule situation in DBZ.

In Japan, is it true Satan is/was understood more as simply a great and powerful demon (like "a satan") rather than an actual mythological character?

I remember asking this question several years and getting an answer like that. It was explained to me by invoking the relationship between Dracula and vampire. We understand Dracula to be a specific character in a very specific context, even if that context changes and is flexible. We would not call a regular vampire a Dracula nor would we name any old character Dracula because that name is loaded with a great deal of cultural context. So we would never refer to someone as Dracula who was not meant to be Count Dracula specifically, nor would we refer to a vampire as "a dracula" because we have too much importance attached to the name.

Was there a misunderstanding on a similar level in regards who or what Satan was? I don't ask this thinking it really matters at all, more just a curiosity.
Nope, it's just an intentional pun on Satan. Mr. Satan's real name, Mark, is also a reference to the Japanese word for devil. And Videl is Devil backwards while Pan is a reference to the character in greek mythology.

Dragonball has always had numerous references to Hell. Mr. Satan is just where the localization struggled the most at hiding it.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Nope, it's just an intentional pun on Satan. Mr. Satan's real name, Mark, is also a reference to the Japanese word for devil. And Videl is Devil backwards while Pan is a reference to the character in greek mythology.

Dragonball has always had numerous references to Hell. Mr. Satan is just where the localization struggled the most at hiding it.
Cool, thanks. Sounds like the explanation I got years ago was probably trying too hard to invent an explanation for something that was actually quite simple.

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
I could understand them keeping the game title as Mega Man, but why couldn't his name still be Rock? Also not a name change but Ajora's gender in FFT.

Last edited:

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
I do remember at one point that they were thinking of localizing Mr. Satan's name as Mr. Savage (this can be seen on the early Irwin toys packaging) but (this was only speculation) probably were scared of getting sued by Randy Savage and went with Hercule, the French dub's name for him.

I could understand them keeping the game title as Mega Man by why couldn't his name still be Rock?

I never got that, either. There were a few instances where they would use Rock but most of the time he's called Mega. It's so silly.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of Zoro/Zolo, Funimation licensed "Case Closed" in America and changed just about every name under the sun: Shinichi became Jimmy, Ran became Rachel, etc. If only given one choice I want my favorite character changed back, give me Hattori Heiji instead of....ugh.....Harley Hartwell.

I always liked the change here. Jimmy Kudo sounds like a cool kid on a skateboard and shit, which is what the character is going for

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Cool, thanks. Sounds like the explanation I got years ago was probably trying too hard to invent an explanation for something that was actually quite simple.
Most likey. The entire joke is that you're suddenly introduced to this world champion with the ominous wrestling name of "Mr Satan".... only for him to be revealed as a total doofus who is out of his league and just trying to grift his supporters. The Buu Saga then doubles down on the joke by making "Mr Satan" into the moral compass for Buu

Toriyama loves making simple expectation-defying jokes like this

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Man, it must suck to work on Jojo's localization. That's a whole can of worms that has to be a nightmare to take care of.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Aeris > Aerith

I forgot they called him Zolo in the translation. I only ever watched the anime. Yeah, that's horrendous too.

Oct 28, 2017
It was renamed to "Slifer the Sky Dragon" to flatter Roger Slifer, the executive producer of the dub studio at the time. Without a single fuck given towards the original work

Now the "Egyptian god card" from Takahashi's original manga is stuck with the name of some random suit in the west. This is the actual english card
10000020.jpg

And with that the "Egyptians gods" are Obelisk the Tormentor, The Winged Dragon of Ra, and....Slifer the Executive Producer
Oh so that's why that joke.

Erigu

Nov 4, 2017
... Erm. Guys?
Some real people are named "Edith". "Meredith". "Judith".
Just saying.

change "Safer Sephiroth" to "Seraph Sephiroth".
I'm not sure what the original "sēfa" was supposed to stand for (if anything), but "Seraph" doesn't fit the bill...

Safer Sephiroth wasn't a mistranslation of Seraph. It was just a slightly different spelling of "Sepher".
So... "book" in Hebrew?
I mean, I don't have a better guess, really, and considering the roots of the name "Sephiroth", if I absolutely had to choose something, I guess I'd go with that, but...

Esidisi will never not be funny.
It's still the proper spelling.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So... "book" in Hebrew?
I mean, I don't have a better guess, really, and considering the roots of the name "Sephiroth", if I absolutely had to choose something, I guess I'd go with that, but...

Sepher-Sephiroth effectively means "Book of Numbers" or "Book of Emanations", yeah.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Can I undo all the Blade name changes in Xenoblade 2 and have that count as one?

EDIT: Except the abbreviation puns in the original Japanese for Poppi/Hana they can keep those.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Aerith sounds terrible as an English spoken name, Aeris is softer name that rolls off the tongue and suits the character

No it doesn't, you just like Aeris better even though it's not her real name.

Fun fact: I knew an Aerith in sixth grade, before FF7 was even a thing. It's the first and only instance of me ever hearing either version of the name but I guess somebody liked it lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
while Pan is a reference to the character in greek mythology.

Wait, what? I always assumed she was continuing his father's food-based punny name. Gohan = rice, Pan = bread; both cereal-based, carb-rich, white food items that are sometimes used as synonyms for food in general.

Could it be that Toriyama intended for her name to work both ways? O_o

Edit: From the DB Wiki:

- Pan's name is the Japanese word for bread, which in turn comes from the Portuguese word "pão" also meaning bread.[9] It continues the food-based names of Gohan's family
- Coincidentally, Pan is also the name of a Greek deity who was associated with the Devil due to his goat legs. Thus, Pan's name also continues the family naming traditions of her mother and grandfather.
- Pan could also refer to pan pipes, an instrument often attributed to said Greek deity, thus making the name a tribute to Piccolo.

... wow. :D

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man, it must suck to work on Jojo's localization. That's a whole can of worms that has to be a nightmare to take care of.

Back when All Star Battle came out (2014), I swear I remembered reading that Araki signed off on all of the different localization names, which is total "That's bullshit but I believe it" territory. I mean look at this shit

ET8WQEfU0AATm-J.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what? I always assumed she was continuing his father's food-based punny name. Gohan = rice, Pan = bread; both cereal-based, carb-rich, white food items that are sometimes used as synonims for food in general.

Could it be that Toriyama intended for her name to work both ways? O_o
I'm going to go with the first things you see everyday since that's how Toriyama names things.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Was there a misunderstanding on a similar level in regards who or what Satan was since there was no cultural context? I don't ask this thinking it really matters at all, more just a curiosity.

Edit: Sounds like this was bull shit! 🤣

Yeah, I was going to say in the Madou series (RPG series Puyo Puyo characters came from) Satan's brother is named Lucifer. They knew what they were doing