• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure that's the case, which is why it's not a great English title! :P

I understand it's meant to be a play on words that doesn't translate. Is that right?

The title is clumsy but actually accurate.

Shingeki No Kyojin is the name of Eren's Titan form. It's sorta more like he/it is "The Titan who Attacks on".
My Hero Academia -> My Hero Academy
Attack on Titan -> Attack of the Titans
And pretty much every other case of poor english being left in a translation.

That would actually be a less accurate title.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
"Delicious Dungeon" is a great name, and a whimsical translation. The real name of "Delicious In Dungeon" just makes me sad.

First children. Second children. Third children. Really that entire awkward, stilted Khara translation of Eva while we're at it.
The final movie's "Bye bye all of Evangelion" is the single most foreboding tagline in all of translation history.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
It was renamed to "Slifer the Sky Dragon" to flatter Roger Slifer, the executive producer of the dub studio at the time. Without a single fuck given towards the original work

Now the "Egyptian god card" from Takahashi's original manga is stuck with the name of some random suit in the west. This is the actual english card
10000020.jpg

And with that the "Egyptians gods" are Obelisk the Tormentor, The Winged Dragon of Ra, and....Slifer the Executive Producer
Also, to add to Fj0823, its original name was オシリスの天空竜, AKA "Sky Dragon of Osiris." Which sounds infinitely cooler than "Slifer the Sky Dragon" which is derpy as hell.
Thank you both. That is very silly. What a tragedy.

To be fair, "now" has been for over 20 years. The reconciliation happened pretty early on in Sonic's history, right when they started making an actual narrative for the games. It's nice they reconciled the names that way though instead of just erasing one although as he says in Generations, "Nobody calls him that anymore."
For sure, it was just relevant in the context of changes made in localization for the original introduction of the character — that's what I had originally been talking about.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
I'm sure that's the case, which is why it's not a great English title! :P

I understand it's meant to be a play on words that doesn't translate. Is that right?

Yep pretty much. I think it was confusing even to the Japanese audience early on, but I might be wrong about that.

The name of the series (Shingeki no Kyojin) is the name of the titan the main character possesses. The name wouldn't be revealed until years later.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Digimon names for sure:
Kentaurosmon sounds dumb compared to Sleipmon
Ditto for Gallantman from Dukemon and Omnimon from Omegamon, Leopardmon from Duftmon, Crusadermon from LordKnightMon
and those attacks names, god

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish Resident Evil was called Biohazard. First thing that came to mind. Fits better with the original narrative.

OP
OP
Fj0823

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Also, to add to Fj0823, its original name was オシリスの天空竜, AKA "Sky Dragon of Osiris." Which sounds infinitely cooler than "Slifer the Sky Dragon" which is derpy as hell.

Yep, once you learn the story of Slifer it's ruined forever lol.

Which reminds me of another popular Yu-Gi-Oh card which got a BS rename
51bpSuz%2BtDL._AC_.jpg

The japanese name is close "Number 39: Hope, the Emperor of Wishes"

It was changed to Utopia because according to Konami's Kevin Tewart "Hope is a girl's name and kids would make fun it" so they went with Utopia because "An Emperor of Wishes probably rules over a Utopia"

With that said, I find this one several magnitudes less awful than "Slifer", but their logic behind it is total BS

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's been like 20 years and I'm still always surprised to learn there are people that prefer "Aerith" outside the pedantic "well actually in the original Japanese..." crowd.

Nov 17, 2017
Also, to add to Fj0823, its original name was オシリスの天空竜, AKA "Sky Dragon of Osiris" or "Osiris the Heaven Dragon." Which sounds infinitely cooler than "Slifer the Sky Dragon" which is derpy as hell.
I would compromise for Osiris the Sky Dragon.

For sure, it was just relevant in the context of changes made in localization for the original introduction of the character — that's what I had originally been talking about.
Yeah, I guess I was just trying to say they did the best thing by making them both his name though they could try to call him Robotnik more often.

On a side note, is Princess Toadstool/Peach a localization thing?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like any time Japan (or presumably other cultures) use English words or phrases directly, you can't just localize it by copy/pasting the same phrase. My Hero Academia and Eggman are two great examples. They may sound cool and hip over there 'cause they're in English and that automatically gives it some extra spice, but over here... it's Eggman.

Call him Tamago-san and we're back in business, but what sounds like cool English to a Japanese speaker doesn't to an English speaker so, y'know, ya gotta change it. That's the job, localizers. Even when it's already in English, you can change it. Screw the fanatics who insist on aUtHeNtIcItY: if it makes the work better to the new audience, change it.

You'll note, people debate up and down the internet Aeris vs. Aerith, but nobody argues about the change they made to FF6's protagonist, because nobody in their right minds thinks they should've localized her as an authentic, phonetic translation: Tina. I'm sure that name worked great in Japan, but in America... it's fucking Tina. That's not a name for a half-Esper JRPG protagonist.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
looks nicer than Aeris.
It's not pleasant to say, at least in English. I think it has to how your lips and tongue move to form the ending -th sound; it's starting from an unusual position compared to similar words.

Slowly say Aerith and pay attention to how your lips and tongue more from the r sound to the th, then compare that to Beth or Marth. The best I can tell, it's like -th ends words where your mouth is closing but the -i vowel causes your lips to expand instead causing the awkwardness.

I dunno, I'm not a linguist :D

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I feel like any time Japan (or presumably other cultures) use English words or phrases directly, you can't just localize it by copy/pasting the same phrase. My Hero Academia and Eggman are two great examples. They may sound cool and hip over there 'cause they're in English and that automatically gives it some extra spice, but over here... it's Eggman.

Call him Tamago-san and we're back in business, but what sounds like cool English to a Japanese speaker doesn't to an English speaker so, y'know, ya gotta change it. That's the job, localizers. Even when it's already in English, you can change it. Screw the fanatics who insist on aUtHeNtIcItY: if it makes the work better to the new audience, change it.

You'll note, people debate up and down the internet Aeris vs. Aerith, but nobody argues about the change they made to FF6's protagonist, because nobody in their right minds thinks they should've localized her as an authentic, phonetic translation: Tina. I'm sure that name worked great in Japan, but in America... it's fucking Tina. That's not a name for a half-Esper JRPG protagonist.
But what if I think Tamago-san sounds dumb as all hell? See, the trouble with localization is balancing authenticity with cross-cultural appeal and understanding, and there's always going to be a middle ground you're desperately struggling to achieve, and no matter where you end up on the scale, it's absolutely inevitable that someone else believes you should have gone further one way or the other.

Now, that doesn't mean localization can't be damn near objectively bad - look at Ace Attorney for a crash course in a "dude why the fuck would you do that" localization that negatively affects the very nature of the series - but I feel like people are too quick to take their personal aesthetic sense and run with it as what should be the standard for how localization is executed.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Outside of Zoro/Zolo, Funimation licensed "Case Closed" in America and changed just about every name under the sun: Shinichi became Jimmy, Ran became Rachel, etc. If only given one choice I want my favorite character changed back, give me Hattori Heiji instead of....ugh.....Harley Hartwell.

Nov 17, 2017
Oh, I can't believe I forgot this one:

main-qimg-561fd92899fa16b4e9b79a64bcfadc96

It was the localization for the verbal tic Naruto has where he says "dattebayo" in Japanese. I get why they couldn't really just translate it since dattebayo doesn't really have a direct translation but "Believe it" was really clunky and was just obnoxious to the point that I think it put people off of Naruto.

The funny thing is the dub just made Naruto stop saying "believe it" after awhile because people didn't like it. Then years later, Naruto meets his mother who says "dattebane" making it some weird inherited verbal tic so they had to acknowledge it in the localization. Instead of bringing back believe it, they had Naruto and his mom say "ya know" or "y'know" which I feel is a much better localization. It's still clunky though because suddenly Naruto starts saying "ya know" out of nowhere. So if I had the power, I would got back so that it was always 'y'know."

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Zolo bugs me quite a bit I guess, but thankfully it's really easy to just read it as Zoro.

I'm gonna argue that the dub attack names in DB are pretty okay though. The point behind many of the original attack names is that they are silly, dumb, or super plain, and that's something lost by leaving them as is. Despite all the issues with the early dub, the attack names end up fitting the spirit Toriyama was going for pretty well, and that's not a bad thing for a localization.

Nov 17, 2017
It's not pleasant to say, at least in English. I think it has to how your lips and tongue move to form the ending -th sound; it's starting from an unusual position compared to similar words.

Slowly say Aerith and pay attention to how your lips and tongue more from the r sound to the th, then compare that to Beth or Marth. The best I can tell, it's like -th ends words where your mouth is closing but the -i vowel causes your lips to expand instead causing the awkwardness.

I dunno, I'm not a linguist :D
As someone who played Kingdom Hearts before ever knowing FF7, Aerith is very simple and natural to say and Aeris feels weird on my tongue. I think it honestly just depends on which one you're used to.

W-00

Oct 27, 2017
Add another one for correcting "Altria" to "Artoria".

Considering that the Fate version of Attila the Hun insists on being called "Altera" and the prominence of "Alter" versions of characters, I think someone high up in Type-Moon has a fetish for the letters "Alt" and doesn't care about whether or not they make sense.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Aeris, no question. If we undid that mistranslation so that it was always Aerith, we wouldn't have years of people bitching about Square correcting it.

these are my main ones. they came up in the same order before i clicked the thread. it's hard to pick one but i'd go with changing Esty's name to her original name. they did her dirty and basically made fun of her. at least with Aerith SE fixed it and i only watch subs for One Piece.

Yup, if Kamehameha can remain, Makankosappo can remain the same.

Just leave it Kienzan.

another +1 for the Latin American dub where they kept all these instead of making bad names.

Nov 18, 2020
Oh, I can't believe I forgot this one:

main-qimg-561fd92899fa16b4e9b79a64bcfadc96

It was the localization for the verbal tic Naruto has where he says "dattebayo" in Japanese. I get why they couldn't really just translate it since dattebayo doesn't really have a direct translation but "Believe it" was really clunky and was just obnoxious to the point that I think it put people off of Naruto.

The funny thing is the dub just made Naruto stop saying "believe it" after awhile because people didn't like it. Then years later, Naruto meets his mother who says "dattebane" making it some weird inherited verbal tic so they had to acknowledge it in the localization. Instead of bringing back believe it, they had Naruto and his mom say "ya know" or "y'know" which I feel is a much better localization. It's still clunky though because suddenly Naruto starts saying "ya know" out of nowhere. So if I had the power, I would got back so that it was always 'y'know."

I mean...

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only one I can think of is from Rurouni Kenshin. (I loved it back in high school, before the artist was revealed to be a slimeball.) I hated that the American dub called him "Battousai the Manslayer." It's just... clunky. And I know leaving it as Hitokiri Battousai would still be clunky, but at least it sounds cool.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Outside of Zoro/Zolo, Funimation licensed "Case Closed" in America and changed just about every name under the sun: Shinichi became Jimmy, Ran became Rachel, etc. If only given one choice I want my favorite character changed back, give me Hattori Heiji instead of....ugh.....Harley Hartwell.
My understanding from Funimation was that the studio in Japan demanded the name changes to Detective Conan, not realizing that US audiences wouldn't prefer that. Not that it doesn't still suck, but that wasn't a change they just made for the hell of it.
(...as an aside...I admit that I actually like the Case Closed to title. I know I'm wrong to, but I do.)

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Every band name or reference in JoJo's bizarre adventure. It's particularly annoying because you actually hear them saying the band name but you're reading subtitles that are assigning a completely different name to what you just heard.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd love for Aeris to be erased from history so nobody would argue for that guy are sick name in 2021.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
My understanding from Funimation was that the studio in Japan demanded the name changes to Detective Conan, not realizing that US audiences wouldn't prefer that. Not that it doesn't still suck, but that wasn't a change they just made for the hell of it.
(...as an aside...I admit that I actually like the Case Closed to title. I know I'm wrong to, but I do.)

Yeah, my understand was they wanted it to be marketed towards kids but America is much more strict on violence and murder in kids shows than Japan. The dialogue is really snappy like the stuff kids would like and even the promo trailers are kind of...fun? I guess that's how I'd put it.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
destroy aeris

life is good, life is simple, people live in the present and not in the past

grand

Oct 25, 2017
It's always going to be Zolo. It's the poster boy of pointless localization changes

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
these are my main ones. they came up in the same order before i clicked the thread. it's hard to pick one but i'd go with changing Esty's name to her original name. they did her dirty and basically made fun of her. at least with Aerith SE fixed it and i only watch subs for One Piece.

another +1 for the Latin American dub where they kept all these instead of making bad names.
All of my post "Goku finally showed up on Namek!" action came from watching DBZ on Telemundo until Funimation finally started doing shit, so I agree.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mine would have to be Dark Prince from Puyo Puyo, just doesn't have the same ring as SATAN, luckily we got this brief moment before Puyo games started getting localized

d60.png