• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
This game was such a pleasant surprise. It really felt like a celebration of the series with pokemon aspects thrown in there (plus new twists to the formula). You got prominent FF character summons, a lovely OST, and a cool stack mechanic. I can see how the writing might initially turn some off. But, if you can roll along with its humor, it actually has a nice core cast here with an interesting story. I also loved the mixture of CGI and 2D anime cutscenes. Overall, it just felt like a really, really good balance of fan-service to series fans along with a unique new adventure, cast and story. It absolutely amounted to being more than what its first impressions made it seem for me.

I was really hoping SE would reveal a sequel during last E3, or even more recently TGS, but...nothing. How did this perform?? Did it not resonate with most FF and JRPG fans? Avoiding a bigger, more expansive sequel would be such a shame.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I don't think so.

I don't think the updated release did good and didn't the mobile game die.

Then again I don't care too much for the title myself.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Played it for 10 hours before I gave up, I didn't like the topple, stacking, mirage, w/e system. Also, I generally don't like battle systems that involve monster collecting unless it's pokémon. The music was pretty amazing though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Annoying ugly Funko Pop-looking character models, dumb kid protagonists and a squeaky annoying mascot character made it so I had absolutely zero interest in playing it beyond the demo.

I would've been 100% here for a full-spec FF crossover RPG but they had to mire it in dumb kiddy crap so it had no chance.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
It was a cute game, the graphics were great and the fanservice was astonishing.

Don't think it lit the charts up with sales. Has SE ever announced any numbers for it? If not, can't imagine they're too great.

If they do make a sequel, I hope Hamauzu actually decides to try to compose something worthwhile.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Sadly don't think it will continue.

Loved it though! Need to play the DLC still which I bought day one.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the Maxima update add in a secret ending that was a sequel teaser?

Then again, it wouldn't be the first time a Square Enix game had one of those only to never get a sequel.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed it. Hope there is a sequel. WoFF felt like Bravely/Octopath to me in a way, honoring the series' past (both in gameplay and characters) without being straight-up ports/remakes/remasters/sequels.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
This game was such a pleasant surprise. It really felt like a celebration of the series with pokemon aspects thrown in there (plus new twists to the formula). You got prominent FF character summons, a lovely OST, and a cool stack mechanic. I can see how the writing might initially turn some off. But, if you can roll along with its humor, it actually has a nice core cast here with an interesting story. I also loved the mixture of CGI and 2D anime cutscenes. Overall, it just felt like a really, really good balance of fan-service to series fans along with a unique new adventure, cast and story. It absolutely amounted to being more than what its first impressions made it seem for me.

I was really hoping SE would reveal a sequel during last E3, or even more recently TGS, but...nothing. How did this perform?? Did it not resonate with most FF and JRPG fans? Avoiding a bigger, more expansive sequel would be such a shame.

Bought it months ago on Switch. Played it for a few days, got bored and quit, but I got back to it last week and I'm enjoying it.

I think it's one of those game I like, but I get tired after a few days and need a break. It feels good to play it: I like the graphics, the music is very good, the Final Fantasy references are cool. I'll probably beat it eventually. The combat got better after I changed it to wait mode and the classic menu.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
Huge FF fan, hate the artstyle of the games. Maybe if they were all KH-styled models but the big dumb square heads repulse me.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
Sadly don't think it will continue.

Loved it though! Need to play the DLC still which I bought day one.

Is the DLC just the Maxima stuff or were there any more?
Annoying ugly Funko Pop-looking character models, dumb kid protagonists and a squeaky annoying mascot character made it so I had absolutely zero interest in playing it beyond the demo.

I would've been 100% here for a full-spec FF crossover RPG but they had to mire it in dumb kiddy crap so it had no chance.

Think of it as FF through a Saturday Morning Cartoon lense of sorts. No, it doesn't have the mature air of something like XII, but it still has an engaging adventure and plot that's littered with FF goodies. Shame something like the presentation style is warding some people off.

Also, I forgot to mention the Tearoom quests. Those little vignettes starring a bunch of side/older FF characters were damn fun little episodes.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I really loved it. Structurally, it was very FFX in mechanics. My boy absolutely ADORED watching to the state where it has embedded a whole bunch of FF lore into him and he is now demanding a cuddly Tonberry and "cactoff".

But it was actually good to play. It takes a while before it starts challenging you and it absolutely gets challenging. The mirage teams certainly had me going outside of my usual FF comfort skills.

Lovely graphics and animation too, I'd love to see this team rework FFX in this engine.

I could see them revisiting this, refining it. They could do something mad and abandon the FFX gameplay and go FFXII on it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it as FF through a Saturday Morning Cartoon lense of sorts. No, it doesn't have the mature air of something like XII, but it still has an engaging adventure and plot that's littered with FF goodies. Shame something like the presentation style is warding some people off.

Also, I forgot to mention the Tearoom quests. Those little vignettes starring a bunch of side/older FF characters were damn fun little episodes.

That mascot character made me want to die every time it opened its mouth. Even without the art style I think I still would've given up pretty quickly. I just have zero patience for saturday morning anime-style games nowadays.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
WOFF was crap and can go die in a fire for all I care. Square Enix needs to get back to making good spinoffs and smaller series.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I still need to get back to the first. I got quite far and was really enjoying it, not sure why I stopped playing.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Thought WoFF was a good little game at the time. I liked it way more than the other Final Fantasy release of 2016: Final Fantasy XV.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
That mascot character made me want to die every time it opened its mouth. Even without the art style I think I still would've given up pretty quickly. I just have zero patience for saturday morning anime-style games nowadays.
Well, I can see it's DEFINITELY not for everyone lol.

But I thought it was fantastic. Fun game mechanics, monster system was well done, creative locations and cool throwbacks, and a bangin' soundtrack by Hamauzu.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I was pretty disappointed. I love FF, I love Pokemon, I really like a large majority of the monster designs, I don't normally mind extra cartoony stuff... But the story/dialogue was just too annoying to get through, the stacking mechanic was dumb, and the battles were just... fine. Not especially fun. Couldn't get through it. A Pokemon-like FF game (or just a big FF Crossover RPG) could be way better than this, imo.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I was a big fan of it and it spawned the best theme on the PS4 to this day, imo. Still boot up my PS4 just for that sometimes, no lie.

I'm not exactly clamoring for it, but I'd be there if they went with a sequel and polished it up a bit more, maybe added a bit more difficulty to it as well besides changing the ATB mode to give the enemy an unfair advantage.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Have both PS4 and steam versions with maxima dlc

Got both for $20 each (base game + dlc)

Will play PS4 version soon and will play steam version in future

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of it and it spawned the best theme on the PS4 to this day, imo. Still boot up my PS4 just for that sometimes, no lie.

I'm not exactly clamoring for it, but I'd be there if they went with a sequel and polished it up a bit more, maybe added a bit more difficulty to it as well besides changing the ATB mode to give the enemy an unfair advantage.

Oh damn that's so chill. And I'm surprised how lively it gets with the cameos! It's reaaaallly making me wanna restart playing the game again. Is this theme available as a separate purchase on PSN? I played the game on Switch and we all know the sad UI situation on there...

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

This is more or less how I felt. I haven't played it, but the look is a massive turn-off.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Oh damn that's so chill. And I'm surprised how lively it gets with the cameos! It's reaaaallly making me wanna restart playing the game again. Is this theme available as a separate purchase on PSN? I played the game on Switch and we all know the sad UI situation on there...

It's a separate download! It's actually better than the preorder theme that came with the game, which used the Town Theme. It's $3, but it's totally worth it.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

*gives PlanetSmasher a hug*

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
I loathed the writing. Even Hamauzu wasn't enough to get me through more than five hours.

boy power

Banned
Jul 29, 2019
I like a lot about this game but I really didn't like how the brother was constantly bullied for supposedly not being very smart. This dragged on so much it made me really, REALLY uncomfortable, especially when his sister would also talk down on him from what I remember.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game alot, but i think if SE were interested in a sequel they'd have made it already, Maxima seemed like a "Please buy it so we can make a sequel" type deal, and i don't think a year old re-release did anything to change SE's perception of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Not a huge fan of the art style, the game was too easy, and the story really went off the rails as it went along. The minigames were also complete torture.

Still had fun with it and would probably play a sequel. Localization was great (especially the hilarious Pokedex entries) and the music was sublime.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This was better than FFXV.

I don't think we'll get a sequel tbh, no one talks about it, and when they got working on the DLC the official statement was.... bad.

Like, "we had to really convince the bosses to let us do this" bad.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
No, I don't think the game sold well at all. Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the dev wanted to make a sequel, but he wasn't able to so they ended up just making a dlc add on or something.

Didn't care for the game myself or for a sequel. Slowest rpg I ever played (gave FFIX a run for its money,) the fast forward button hardly helped. Oh and I wasn't fan of the childish dialogue, it felt like they were aiming the game for 8 years old instead of for everyone. I ended up dropping the game.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't think the game sold well at all. Pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the dev wanted to make a sequel, but he wasn't able to so they ended up just making a dlc add on or something.

Didn't care for the game myself. Slowest rpg I ever played (gave FFIX a run for its money,) the fast forward button hardly helped. Oh and I wasn't fan of the childish dialogue, it felt like they were aiming the for 8 years old instead of for everyone. I ended up dropping the game.
I'm pretty sure the game sold really well actually and the dev didn't say they wanted to make a sequel but had to settle for DLC, they said they had to make the DLC on something of a shoestring but they did all they could (which ended up being loads). The DLC also set up a sequel so fingers crossed for a WoFF2.

I personally found the game pretty dull for the first third, and then it hit its stride as it really got into the cool crossover stuff. The characters were annoying but there was also a lot of good humour (not from the main characters). I don't know that I NEED a sequel but I'd definitely check it out.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's a great starter RPG for kids, with some serious KH drama near the end. I really enjoyed it despite its flaws.

The game's set up for a sequel, so it'll happen eventually.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Love FF but I'm unwilling/unable to look beyond the art direction long enough to ever give it a shot. I don't mind 'cutesy' games in the least, but Chibi art is nauseating.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

it's even worse than you think, I played the full game and the characters are fucking insufferable.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to see a sequel but I just don't see it happening. Which is a shame as the first game had a really strong foundation to build on with a sequel.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
I'm pretty sure the game sold really well actually and the dev didn't say they wanted to make a sequel but had to settle for DLC, they said they had to make the DLC on something of a shoestring but they did all they could (which ended up being loads). The DLC also set up a sequel so fingers crossed for a WoFF2.

I personally found the game pretty dull for the first third, and then it hit its stride as it really got into the cool crossover stuff. The characters were annoying but there was also a lot of good humour (not from the main characters). I don't know that I NEED a sequel but I'd definitely check it out.
According to this it looks like the director wrote a sequel and it didn't get approved.

"While there are no plans for a sequel, I have fully written the story. If Square Enix gives us its approval, we can start development right away."

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play much of WoFF but I thought it was really bad. I hated the art style and the dialogue reminded me of Kingdom Hearts in a bad way.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I hope so! I picked it up on PS4 launch and was turned off initially, but came back for Maxima on Switch when it was on sale for $20 and it was a really great game! Still in the post-game questing to get the true ending, but really enjoyed it and it was the best FF nostalgia outside FF14. It also had a fantastic soundtrack. The Eternal Wind remix is one of my favorites of that song.

The little mini-stories you watch with nice production and full VA are really good for FF fans. Loved all the FFV fanservice.

Lots of characters are still missing, so a sequel would be nice. The pokemon monster system was pretty good, they just need to speed up the cumbersome & slow interface when leveling monsters.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't finished it yet (guess I'm around 80% or smth) because the drag started to become a little bit too much.
While the game is an absolute awesome fan service I wouldn't buy a WoFF2 because my thirst for FF fan service kinda got quenched already.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Best tribute to Final Fantasy after Theatrhythm. I think I'd rather see another fresh take on the formula than a sequel, worried a sequel might feel too much more of the same.