• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
My local cinema shows a different horror movie every Friday... Sometimes they show two! It's good fun, even when the films are... bad. Sometimes, an audience member gets to pick one (a few months in advance, if the cinema can get it).

So... If you could pick one to show an audience of 80 to 150 people... What would you pick? It should be horror, since that's the weekly theme, but the genre is wide enough that a good thriller could work as well.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I think I'd go with Rosemary's Baby, because so many people my age still haven't seen it.

Stealth edit: Never mind. Maybe Polanski would get royalties. To play it safe, I'll go with Dario Argento's Suspiria since many haven't seen it, and it's incredible.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The VVitch or It Follows.

Both never really got a proper release over here and more people deserve to see them.

And if I'm thinking selfishly: The Descent

Because seeing that in a cinema must've been an incredibly intense experience and I'd love to experience the movie like that.

OP
OP
Dan-o

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Good choices so far folks!
And if I'm thinking selfishly: The Descent

Because seeing that in a cinema must've been an incredibly intense experience and I'd love to experience the movie like that.
This was shown a few months back. I had never seen it. Holy shit, what a movie. It was great to watch with an audience.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If i have a 'captive audience' and can show whatever I want, then I'm going with Calvaire (or even better, a season of early 00s euro horror).

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Halloween 1978

Pretty standard and safe choice at this point but my favorite horror movie.

All I kept thinking after seeing the recent Halloween (reboot) film was how much I would love to see the original Halloween in a crowded cinema ... 🎃

I had a great audience at Halloween last October, especially during the one-take tracking shot, and it'd be interesting to see how they react to the original film, which is more tense and atmospheric.

Oct 25, 2017
1978 Dawn of the Dead or Braindead. Depending on my mood. One is the preeminent entry in the zombie genre, the other is Dawn of the Dead.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Dellamorte Dellamore or Cemetery Man

Cemeterymanposter.jpg

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The Descent is honestly one of the most overlooked horror movies of all time. It's RELENTLESSLY terrifying.

Why not The Shining? I'd love to see it on the big screen.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Something like Buio Omega to see how many people walk out. Or maybe The New York Ripper?

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm cheating and nominating Lars von Triers The Kingdom in its entirety, as it has occasionally been shown in theaters.

I marathon it every few years anyway, so watching it on the big screen would be a fun way to mix it up for me.
72479e0b-f95a-42db-8tdjsw.jpeg

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Blood Freak.

Children these days are far too addicted to drugs and think its hip to reef, they need to see what happens when you try to sell drugs around a scientist Turkey farmer

Oct 28, 2017
Annabelle creation scared the hell out of me...

So probably that one. Or lights out. Now that's a movie that I had trouble sleeping a couple nights after seeing. That never happens to me.

Serein

Mar 7, 2018
Hmm, good question.

If I'm playing it safe then I'm going to go for The Thing. It's a well-loved, visually spectacular modern classic that would look fantastic on the big screen. The quality and popularity of the film is undisputed but it's maybe a bit predictable.

One of my absolute favourite films is the beautiful, tragic and timeless 1935 classic Bride of Frankenstein starring Boris Karloff. If possible, have it as a double bill with the 1931 original which is also directed by James Whale (together the run time is still under 2 1/2 hours). I'd love to see those on the big screen. They're such classics though that they may already have been shown or get regularly shown anyway.

So, casting the net a bit further for something people are less likely to have seen then I'm going to go for Mr Vampire. This is a Hong Kong comedy-horror from 1985 that is extremely entertaining. Vampires, comedy, ghosts, romance, action, a man in a gorilla suit, this film has it all and would play well to a Friday night crowd I think.

ddZeyXeH_o.jpg

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Because it's one of my personal favorites of 90's b-movie horror that's actually good (imo), great surreal mix of dark humor and an adventure movie.

Also yes, that was Ben Stiller you saw in the trailer (the whole Stiller family pops up in the movie lol, along with Lita Ford, Gilbert Gottfried, and others).

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
John Carpenter's The thing, one of the best movies ever made. Not much else to say.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
OP you have the chance to expose hundreds of people to the brilliance that is Mandy.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
It's a toss-up between Les Diaboliques and Fright Night.

Les Diaboliques is a classic thriller where a feeling of dread is palpable nearly the entire running time, and Fright Night is just a tremendously fun watch.

9hcuAM2tFd0symu9gCWBOnJWhVBXKJ_large.jpg

fright-night-columbia-pictures-everett-122315.jpg