• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Donald Trump or George W. Bush, who would you pick?

• Donald Trump

Votes: 24 3.7%
  • George W. Bush

Votes: 330 51.1%
  • Sacrifice myself and let America pick a better option

Votes: 79 12.2%
  • Get the fuck out of the US

Votes: 61 9.4%
  • Screw You OP you Sadistic Bastard

Votes: 41 6.3%
  • I asked them if I can pick Mitch McConnell and they said yes

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • Obama but you have to watch Thor: The Dark World everyday for the rest of your life

Votes: 108 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Bush, because the republican base and thus most of the republicans in congress dislike him so they wouldn't get shit done whereas they all line up to kiss Trump's ass even more than when he was last in. Trump gets in again with a majority in House and Senate and we're fucked.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. We all hate Thor The Dark World that much? lmao.

I'd vote for Bush tbh. The chances of a 9/11 happening again and us entering some long term stay in another country is low to none(I'm being optimistic). At least he wouldn't question the election process and intentionally pit us all against one another.

Again, I'm being really optimistic here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Bush and his cronies were not generic Republicans in any way at all. That kind of generalization completely downplays how fucking horrible they were. And is Trump "almost overthrowing our democratic system" and inciting an attack on the capitol really as bad as how Bush handled the economy and foreign policy? Hell, how close was Trump to overthrowing our system? I think he was much further off than we think. I think your average republican politician has done more damage than Trump to our democratic process by successfully implementing Gerrymandering and voter supression.
Listen, I'm a Middle Eastern American, so you don't have to tell me about Bush's foreign policy, believe me. He's a piece of shit, as are they all. But as slimy as he was, he would never flat out incite an insurrection and try to literally overthrow whatever democracy we have left. I live here in the states, so ummm...yes, I'd very much rather not live under a fucking dictatorship? Trump's entire presidency was a full on neverending assault on rational thought, basic science, normalcy...

I'm well aware of the effect Bush had on the world at large. He was a terrible president. But the damage Trump would do here domestically if he were re-elected...I shudder think. He's the worst "president" I've ever seen.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Trump tried to overthrow democracy in America. He's still trying as we speak.
Bush is responsible for millions of death in the middle east and afghanistan. He ignited hate and disdain for this country for generations among tens of millions of people. Like people who quickly pick Bush are people who didn't live outside the country when he was president. I did and we saw horrific things. It's not an easy choice. That's my point.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People literally stormed the Capitol building trying to perform a coup for Trump. Bush's gross war is terrible as well, but I think Trump would go nuclear if given the option.

People (Republican Party officials) stormed the recount in Florida in 2000 trying to perform a coup for Bush.

Except in the case of the Brooks Brothers Riots, nobody got in trouble and Bush even went on to hire some of the rioters.

This is why Bush is more dangerous, the shit he did actually worked and because he has such good influence with the traditional power establishment in America compared to Trump, he and his collaborators all got off scot free.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Bush. Why? Because at least he wouldn't be catering to the new dangerous nazi base that is happening

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Bush is responsible for millions of death in the middle east and afghanistan. He ignited hate and disdain for this country for generations among tens of millions of people. Like people who quickly pick Bush are people who didn't live outside the country when he was president. I did and we saw horrific things. It's not an easy choice. That's my point.
Bush only did what most every other president would have done in the same instance. Nobody would have done what Trump does or continues to do

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
this thread premise is taking a turn for the not so unexpectedly worse in that you have people downplaying Trump's damage to this country, arguing in his favor, and literally the only way this is possible is by setting up a sadistic hypothetical so that he's directly compared and used as an alternative against one of the (other) worst Presidents in modern American history. Like should we make the "Who would you rather?" Donald Trump vs Kim Jong Un thread next?

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Listen, I'm a Middle Eastern American, so you don't have to tell me about Bush's foreign policy, believe me. He's a piece of shit, as are they all. But as slimy as he was, he would never flat out incite an insurrection and try to literally overthrow whatever democracy we have left. I live here in the states, so ummm...yes, I'd very much rather not live under a fucking dictatorship? Trump's entire presidency was a full on neverending assault on rational thought, basic science, normalcy...

I'm well aware of the effect Bush had on the world at large. He was a terrible president. But the damage Trump would do here domestically if he were re-elected...I shudder think. He's the worst "president" I've ever seen.
The bolded/underlined part really hit me hard. As much as I like to think otherwise, four more years of a Trump presidency might actually be worse. Even if I think Bush did more damage.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
He started zero wars in 4 years for all his 'ego'. There is a wide gulf between acting like a madman warmonger and actually war mongering.

Ego alone is not actually enough to start wars, though our media certainly love to play up the "warmongering strongman".

Measure what happened instead of what you imagine might have happened.

Those situations aren't 1:1. 9/11 was major orchestrated terrorist attack on the country. He didn't have to deal with anything like that during his time in office. Conservatives were blood thirsty as fuck after 9/11.

I'd also throw in Trump's influence around the world. Maybe i'm just not remembering things correctly, but I don't remember other countries wanting someone like Bush as a leader. Outside of the brief period after 9/11, he was often portrayed as being an idiot. Meanwhile you see people in other countries wearing MAGA hats because of what that represents. He became a symbol for far right groups everywhere that they too could have a leader in their country like him.

UrbanDandy

Oct 25, 2017
Except in the case of the Brooks Brothers Riots, nobody got in trouble and Bush even went on to hire some of the rioters.

This is why Bush is more dangerous, the shit he did actually worked and because he has such good influence with the traditional power establishment in America compared to Trump, he and his collaborators all got off scot free.
I did not know that. I kind of take back my previous post.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
People (Republican Party officials) stormed the recount in Florida in 2000 trying to perform a coup for Bush.

He wasn't openly asking for a coup. Assholes just did it. There were multiple recounts because of how close it was.

I feel like I'm defending Bush and fuck that. I just view him a tad less evil.

WindUp

Oct 30, 2017
this is basically just a "W vs Trump" thread, which is something that's been hashed out numerous times. I think anyone who says it's Bush straight up is greatly underestimating how bad his presidency was though

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Damn I had no idea this happened. This is what I am talking about. The outrage wasn't there during Bush presidency like it should have been.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
He wasn't openly asking for a coup. Assholes just did it. There were multiple recounts because of how close it was.

I feel like I'm defending Bush and fuck that. I just view him a tad less evil.

Bush didn't have to ask for it openly because people did it for him surreptitiously, and he rewarded them for it.

That's why he's a more dangerous figure than Trump, he actually managed to pull his steal off.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Bush only did what most every other president would have done in the same instance. Nobody would have done what Trump does or continues to do
Bush had a personal vendetta against Saddam hussein. He wanted to go to war and found the perfect excuse for it even though it was completely unrelated to Iraq. It was a mindless war with no excuses. And this not to voice support for Saddam. It's just that the Iraqi people didn't deserve it. They still suffering to this day and will do so for who knows how long.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
If we're talking about which president did more damage during their time in office the answer is obviously Bush, but I'm not sure how that would translate to an imaginary 2024 term. I don't know what kind of people W would nominate to his admin, but they'd still be modern Republicans and they'd almost certainly be more competent than Trump's picks, so I guess I'm going with Trump?

I think Bush is more than happy to let people get mad at Trump for trying to steal an election while they forget about how he pretty much got away with stealing one so the premise is kinda silly

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
I think the Republican party is rotten to the core and either of them would produce similar results. I'd give the nod to Bush being worse as the party would likely advance their agenda faster. He'd likely be more passive and not foil Republican plans through attention seeking stunts. His cabinet would likely be more effective at employing awful policy.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also if Bush is President again in 2024, that means the 22nd amendment is gone. Think about that!

I think the Republican party is rotten to the core and either of them would produce similar results. I'd give the nod to Bush being worse as the party would likely advance their agenda faster. He'd likely be more passive and not foil Republican plans through attention seeking stunts. His cabinet would likely be more effective at employing awful policy.
Excellent points here. I am gonna stick with Trump for now. And bleach my mouth for saying that.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Bush's devastation involved the entire world. He was horrific. His entire family in politics were/are. Trump was only in it to enrich himself and his social class. He is a lame ass clown. Bush was a warmonger and while Trump made idiotic threats to bomb other countries, I don't believe he would've ever commit to them. As loathsome as Trump and his family are, the Bush dynasty needs to stay dead, even if that means putting up with Trump's performances.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Its shit but I would go Bush. I'm not sacrificing my life for this country though. Thats completely out of the question.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Bush's devastation involved the entire world. He was horrific. His entire family in politics were/are. Trump was only in it to enrich himself and his social class. He is a lame ass clown. Bush was a warmonger and while Trump made idiotic threats to bomb other countries, I don't believe he would've ever commit to them. As loathsome as Trump and his family are, the Bush dynasty needs to stay dead.
Like others have noted I think it comes down to prospective. People living in the United States would pick bush. people living outside the country especially close to the carnage the Bush administration caused would say Trump. Both options are horrific still and would rather watch thor for the rest of my life if i was forced to choose it lol

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

Yep they're all a big team, I mean Bush helped Trump get Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court. They're all more on each other's side than anybody else's.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
In a vacuum, Bush was worse. But in terms of how they riled up a movement, Trump was worse. Bush fucked my generation big time. Trump riled up a nationalist movement. I would rather have the shit wars and financial ruin than the shit wars and financial ruin AND insane nationalism.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
this thread premise is taking a turn for the not so unexpectedly worse in that you have people downplaying Trump's damage to this country, arguing in his favor, and literally the only way this is possible is by setting up a sadistic hypothetical so that he's directly compared and used as an alternative against one of the (other) worst Presidents in modern American history. Like should we make the "Who would you rather?" Donald Trump vs Kim Jong Un thread next?

This is resetera. I feel like we are all perfectly aware that Trump is, in fact, a shithead.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Like others have noted I think it comes down to prospective. People living in the United States would pick bush. people living outside the country especially close to the carnage the Bush administration caused would say Trump. Both options are horrific still and would rather watch thor for the rest of my life if i was forced to choose it lol

Why George W Bush is Africa’s favourite US president

He championed one of the biggest global health initiatives in history

Not necessarily. Despite his illegal war, Bush also created a program that as of 2020 has saved the lives of over 18 million individuals (majority being in sub-Saharan Africa), prevented millions of additional HIV infections, helped over 50 nations make sizable advancements in controlling the HIV epidemic, and created an infrastructure that can be leveraged in the distribution of COVID-19 vaccines in many regions across the world.

Bush is a war criminal for sure. But at least one can point to Bush actually pushing for something that wasn't 'America First.' Trump willfully and wrecklessly put Americans (even his own supporters) in danger during an unprecedented pandemic for his own vainglorious needs. Trump's Secretary of Defense had to calm the other global power by assuring China that essentially the military would prevent Trump from starting a conflict.

I think we underestimate exactly how dangerous this man is and how we (and not just America) dodged several, several bullets just to escape his four year reign. And the fact there's a decent chance he wins in 3 years should terrify us a lot more than it is.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I can't lie, though. Watching Trump dunk on all those Republican ghouls in the primary was great to watch unfold and they deserved it many times over, but that doesn't mean that I respect Trump in any way. That includes Jeb Bush being made to look like a tool.

OP
OP
GameChanger

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now that I think about it, who's more likely to start a war with Iran? Bush or Trump? And I am heavily leaning towards Trump here. A war with Iran would be absolutely catastrophic. So now I am leaning more towards Bush.

Edit: Unless the military prevents Trump from starting a war with Iran. Then the decision becomes more difficult again.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I don't know why people would choose Trump knowing how dangerous he is to our democracy. There's very reasonable arguments that bush was worse, but I doubt that he would be jumping to redo the failures of his presidency whereas Trump would push harder and put in even more people who wouldn't refuse his demands. The rigging of the next electoral process would start nearly day one.

So basically, both would see the mistakes they made, but Trump's attempt at correcting his mistakes would be far more detrimental.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Trump, sadly.

Tweeting dumb shit and racist speeches != $8 trillion on a 20 year war or a million dead.

Their presidencies just aren't materially comparable. I know no one likes to admit it, but these are the numbers. Unless you want to suggest the 16 year projection of the aftermath of the Trump presidency is > $8t and/or > a million deaths. I guess if we assigned all COVID deaths to Trump he'll hit the breakeven death count in about 2-3 years.
but the question is asking about a hypothetical future Bush or Trump term, not judging which was worse historically. Bush was a disaster and fucked up an entire region for decades, but he was enabled by the american public demanding blood after 9/11 and our country's general appetite for overseas wars has diminished since then. Without another precipitating event I'm not sure he'd be able to get away with much warmongering, and if there *is* a precipitating event, I'm not sure why I'd trust Trump to handle it better than Bush. I suppose Bush would be more liable to get institutional support for whatever he wanted to do, and Trump would be more liable to go full martial law/dictatorial

JayC3

bork bork
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Trump and Bush are both awful, and asking people to rationalize which one is less awful isn't a discussion that will lead to anything good. As such, this thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.