• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, saw someone say "the k-word" on my Twitter feed and I was like yeah sure that shit is antisemitic AF.

Turns out it wasnt the jewish one.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure plenty of idiots would think that, but they reveal more about themselves in doing so than anything else.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Straight outta England, crazy motherfucker named Bindel
From the gang called Karens With Attitudes

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain why Karen? I get that it's something silly from the comments, but still, why?
The name Karen has no specific etymological event other than it being an arbitrarily generic choice, like when John Oliver goes on his jokey asides ranting at a fuck-up named "Dave" or "Brad." The use of "Karen" is meant to ultimately describes an attitude of upper-middle class privilege and entitlement that is commonly associated with white women.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
The second half of the title is facetious.

I figured. I just always think discussions like this are silly, clearly a vast, vast majority of people do not think Karen is a slur.

The "great takes" in the OP are like if a scientist felt the need to compose a thoughtful response after hearing someone say the moon is made of cheese. If that's your thing go for it, but we're not accomplishing much.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Was 'Karen' a thing before that SNL episode of black jeopardy? That was my introduction to it and I just took it as a modern 'Becky.' Which is funny because white girls fucking LOVE "baby got back" even though it's making fun of them. They'll get over just like they did with Becky. There's no legitimate suppression happening so it'll be turned around just like Becky.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
The name Karen has no specific etymological event other than it being an arbitrarily generic choice, like when John Oliver goes on his jokey asides ranting at a fuck-up named "Dave" or "Brad." The use of "Karen" is meant to ultimately describes an attitude of upper-middle class privilege and entitlement that is commonly associated with white women.

Middle class, middle aged white woman who wants to talk to your manager.

Thanks for the explanation!

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to speak to your manager OP

screen-shot-2018-05-15-at-9-21-05-am.jpg

Throwing tactical shade at Karen's Eyewear

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I do see a lot of white,straight men on the internet that use it as a "women be crazy!" way with nothing to do about racism which is mysognistic but that basically means white people should stop using it and co opting black peoples terms. And even then honestly those straight white men are still going to find another term making women seem crazy for normal human emotions, so if we got rid of the term we'd just be taking away from black people describing their experiences while men would just find another term to be sexist. So just lose:lose basically.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I figured. I just always think discussions like this are silly, clearly a vast, vast majority of people do not think Karen is a slur.

The "great takes" in the OP are like if a scientist felt the need to compose a thoughtful response after hearing someone say the moon is made of cheese. If that's your thing go for it, but we're not accomplishing much.

Okay, then don't partake in them and use the ignore thread feature.

Bad takes have this wonderful ability for people to bring up thoughtful discussion and topics that directly related to these bad takes that many, including myself, would not have connected the dots on.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling and Derailing Over Multiple Posts
Okay, then don't partake in them and use the ignore thread feature.

Bad takes have this wonderful ability for people to bring up thoughtful discussion and topics that directly related to these bad takes that many, including myself, would not have connected the dots on.

Haha, I'm not offended by the thread existing or anything. Not sure why I would use the ignore feature on something I find "silly."

As far as discussion, personally I'd rather follow intelligent people who talk about things they're passionate about, but if trying to wring meaning from obvious trolling is working out than more power to you.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Haha, I'm not offended by the thread existing or anything. Not sure why I would use the ignore feature on something I find "silly."

As far as discussion, personally I'd rather follow intelligent people who talk about things they're passionate about, but if trying to wring meaning from obvious trolling is working out than more power to you.
What the fuck are you even going about?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
What the fuck are you even going about?

I think it's funny when people see a handful of people posting nonsense on Twitter and it somehow becomes a talking point. There's likely a small handful of people online expressing support for just about any nonsense take you can imagine. Taking the time to engage with people who are likely trolls, and if not trolls then morons, seems ridiculous to me. And if I was interested in a topic, say classism in America, personally I'd seek out opinions from people who are passionate and have something intelligent to say. Following responses to someone saying that Karen is a slur and hoping to gain some new understanding of... anything doesn't seem particularly productive to me, but again, if it works, go for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Was 'Karen' a thing before that SNL episode of black jeopardy? That was my introduction to it and I just took it as a modern 'Becky.' Which is funny because white girls fucking LOVE "baby got back" even though it's making fun of them. They'll get over just like they did with Becky. There's no legitimate suppression happening so it'll be turned around just like Becky.
That moment in that skit is only funny because Karen was a thing way before SNL used it.

SNL may have exposed it to more white people, but 'Karen' has been the go-to nickname for triffling older white lady, for some time.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think it's funny when people see a handful of people posting nonsense on Twitter and it somehow becomes a talking point. There's likely a small handful of people online expressing support for just about any nonsense take you can imagine. Taking the time to engage with people who are likely trolls, and if not trolls then morons, seems ridiculous to me. And if I was interested in a topic, say classism in America, personally I'd seek out opinions from people who are passionate and have something intelligent to say. Following responses to someone saying that Karen is a slur and hoping to gain some new understanding of... anything doesn't seem particularly productive to me, but again, if it works, go for it.
There's a whole range of topic to be had on message boards. Seeing as how this thread's approaching a 100 posts, clearly there was enough there to discuss. Not everything needs to be super important and passionate.

Also, just because something doesnt matter to you, doesnt mean it cant or shouldnt matter to others. Especially seeing as how the whole Karen thing is a bit of a social commentary around race, and there's been people trying to compare it to the n-word.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
There's a whole range of topic to be had on message boards. Seeing as how this thread's approaching a 100 posts, clearly there was enough there to discuss. Not everything needs to be super important and passionate.

Also, just because something doesnt matter to you, doesnt mean it cant or shouldnt matter to others. Especially seeing as how the whole Karen thing is a bit of a social commentary around race, and there's been people trying to compare it to the n-word.

OK. Not sure why you thought I needed to be told any of this, but thanks. I don't disagree.

Personally I'm here to see funny responses, not to gain insight into race relations, but again, you do you.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the pumpkin spice huffing yoga mat toting white feminist wine mom crew just pissed off that they're being called out for being bigots, TERFs, etc.

T'Chakku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
OK. Not sure why you thought I needed to be told any of this, but thanks. I don't disagree.

Personally I'm here to see funny responses, not to gain insight into race relations, but again, you do you.
Then next time dont come into these threads and tell us we shouldnt have discussions based around this stuff and should only engage with ''passionate people who have something intelligent to say."
Stay in the funny threads and leave the race relation threads to those who care about that stuff.