• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YpCZI5c.png

I was browsing twitter and saw some references about "Karen" being as bad as the n-word, and was absolutely miffed by how the fuck something like this could even come up and then found the source. There are even replies agreeing with it. What in the fuck.

Karen if old.

Some actual great takes in response to this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of my friends is named Karen and she loves this meme lol

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
To be clear, when you say "now thought of" you mean "I saw a handful of Tweets posted by strangers"?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
My sister told me about this taking off yesterday and we both laughed. Fucking Karens.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Honestly, having a friend named Karen, they were pretty annoyed at it, as they got a lot of random hate directed to them because of it being their name. So that's a downside of having a term being a persons name.

Now, a slur? Fuck no lol. Even they don't agree with that.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the woman who wrote that tweet, Julie Bindel, is a legit TERF so it's not surprising this is also her take lol

jml

Mar 9, 2018
The "class prejudice" part of this is wild, must be hard to be upper-middle class

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I read the OP trying to figure out if I've seen or heard the term "Karen" before, and then realized that it was the GIF of the girl from the Brady Bunch saying "Sure, Karen" sarcastically. Then I realized, no, wait, that was Jan. So I'm at a loss again.

Oct 27, 2017
Not the first time in history that flaccid accusations of misogyny have been used to beat back black folk's response to apparent racism.

And it won't be the last.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"this word we just wrote is the equivalent of this other word we are self-censoring and won't write in in full"

Sure it is...

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Karen's trying to be offended at one more thing. Classic Karen move.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the original tweets are bait posted by a couple of super alt-right anti-semites. I'd suggest to stop giving it attention.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
YpCZI5c.png

I was browsing twitter and saw some references about "Karen" being as bad as the n-word, and was absolutely miffed by how the fuck something like this could even come up and then found the source. There are even replies agreeing with it. What in the fuck.

Karen if old.

Some actual great takes in response to this.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to make L into a slur so that I'm the only one who gets to have it on my keyboard. You'll be out here typing "stop feeding the tros" and "o mao dying" and I'll be laughing at you from afar.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
That's reverse racism and reverse reverse sexism, which is like 3 reverses. And that's terrible.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Not a slur, that's silly. But it sure is extremely overused and there's a really clear air of hate of women among a lot of circles that use it.

It's the equivalent to SJW or cuck.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I read the OP trying to figure out if I've seen or heard the term "Karen" before, and then realized that it was the GIF of the girl from the Brady Bunch saying "Sure, Karen" sarcastically. Then I realized, no, wait, that was Jan. So I'm at a loss again.

To quote Camilla Blackett

Karen is a catchall for entitled middle class CIS white women who weaponise their status against the working class and minorities

twitter.com

Camilla Blackett on Twitter

“For any middle class white women who follow me and are asking if “Karen” is a “slur”: 1) Karen is a catchall for entitled middle class CIS white women who weaponise their status against the working class and minorities. 2) Read that again and then shut theee fuck up. ✌🏾”

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Honestly, having a friend named Karen, they were pretty annoyed at it, as they got a lot of random hate directed to them because of it being their name. So that's a downside of having a term being a persons name.

Now, a slur? Fuck no lol. Even they don't agree with that.

Right. They're offended because they don't want to be held accountable when being called out on their bullshit. FOH.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I think Karen and Becky are both misogynistic phrases. I know they originated from black women but they've been coopted and basically reinforce negative stereotypes of women.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Can someone explain why Karen? I get that it's something silly from the comments, but still, why?