• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
every since i actively started looking at the label im constantly wondering how all this stuff is so full of sugar and salt. the biggest is soda. one can of standard sized soda has anywhere from 70-86 percent of your daily value of sugar. taking that and then applying it to those huge sodas id drink at fastfood places plus refills and i dont know how i didnt get diabetes yet.

the crazy thing is you cant always taste all the sugar and salt in something even tho its full of it .

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If that weirds you out, never, ever read the ingredients section on a bag of chips. Especially not a bag of Doritos.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Last week I randomly bought a case of Hard Cider from the grocery store as I'd never tried it, and upon delivery I was super disappointed to see each bottle had like 25g of sugar. I was expecting it to be about as much as a beer, totally ruined the experience for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Last week I randomly bought a case of Hard Cider from the grocery store as I'd never tried it, and upon delivery I was super disappointed to see each bottle had like 25g of sugar. I was expecting it to be about as much as a beer, totally ruined the experience for me.

Seriously, yeah - hard cider and hard lemonade is mostly sugar. Shit's basically apple-flavored Smirnoff Ice.

Hm...

*checks the Pringles right next to me*

I once did a deep dive into some of the chemicals that provide the artificial colors and flavors that go into things like Nacho Cheese Doritos and several of them are horribly toxic to humans in pretty surprising doses. It's not a huge surprise my dog almost died when he got into a bag of that shit once.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
human bodies standing up to some of the foods and diets we have now is a miracle honestly

InfiniteKing

Oct 26, 2017
I just can't bare thinking about how much sodium is in beef jerky/sticks that I quit them. Which tears me up cause I always loved them. I quit salted cashews too.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Lots of stuff is loaded with salt and sugar. Not to mention a high amount of cholesterol. I started using salt substitute because of it and try to maintain a low sodium diet.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and that's why I mainly avoid the middle of the grocery store except for some things (a bag of bean or rice, etc.) And don't buy lunch meat and so on and so forth.
Many surprising things are sodium bombs. Like pancake mix - why the fuck does pancake mix need 660 mg of sodium per serving? I make my own using whole wheat flour, eggs, apple sauce (instead of oil) and so on with zero added salt and they're great.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Most of the Starbucks Frappacino blended drinks are horrible for you, with tons of sugar.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017

Most of the big names are like this, but there are a bunch of craft ciders that are really nice. Keep an eye out

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck do people still not read the ingredients and nutrition stats these days? Every. Single. Item. I. Buy. Always...

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Everything has sugar in it, it's crazy. Meat products, soup, pasta sauce, etc. There's more sugar per ounce in some salad dressings than in Coke.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
You taste all that salt and sugar if you don't consume that stuff on a daily basis. Regular sodas are straight up sickening to me because of how concentrated it is.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Don't look at the ingredients of those powdered soups. They contain huge amounts of salt. I see people then adding salt and pepper to it for flavour.

I am a sugar fiend and the sweeter the hard cider the better. Mine is 0.3g per 100ml. The bottles are 660ml.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a really good book on this very subject -

djVN1rl.jpg

The short answer is that because it's addictive.

Dec 30, 2020
I love bitter and sour foods and I can't tell you how often I have to search looking for dark chocolate that isn't drowned in sugar. Cranberries too.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I've gotten into the habit of checking labels these past 12 years, and every single time I go shopping I find a new term for salt, sugar. It's disgusting.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Went to a Boston Market that opened up in my town a few months ago. Hadn't been to one since the last one closed around here two decades ago, when it was still known as Boston Chicken. I know most restaurants usually only show the calories on the menus these days, but Boston Market actually has a sodium warning on the menu board...and it's on practically every item.

Also took out a pint of Ben & Jerry's that's been sitting in my freezer for a while. I considered eating the whole thing, but took one look at the added sugar and changed my mind immediately.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Not sugar/salt related but I looked at the ingredients for those Fibre One brownie things that Era recommended and all I could think was WTF.

nel e nel

Oct 27, 2017
Not sugar/salt related but I looked at the ingredients for those Fibre One brownie things that Era recommended and all I could think was WTF.
Bars are the fucking worst. Lara, granola, Z, you name it. Sure it's got X grams of protein but it's got a 20oz sodas - or more - worth of sugar.

My killer was BBQ sauce. They're all basically flavored corn syrup. Thankfully there are a few sugar free ones on the market.
Problem is everyone in my family is so accustomed to the high sugar/salt/fat content of these foods, anytime to they try a healthier variety it's met with "tastes like garbage!" Then complain about being fat.

Oct 26, 2017
It's a conspiracy or something. It must be. I lived in Japan for a bit and it's not like that there. I came back to the states and was like, no wonder we're all fat. Like every drink has sweetener in it. People are conditioned that something NEEDS to have sugar or a sugar substitute to taste good. Where did that idea come from?

OP
OP
nsilvias

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
It's a conspiracy or something. It must be. I lived in Japan for a bit and it's not like that there. I came back to the states and was like, no wonder we're all fat. Like every drink has sweetener in it. People are conditioned that something NEEDS to have sugar or a sugar substitute to taste good. Where did that idea come from?
weirdly enough when i was playing rdr2 and reached a certain level with sugar plantations it made me wonder if theres historical reasons for it being this way. kinda like gas companies and their influence