• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You actually just need one:

81HAfK2UDjL.jpg

I actually managed to grab a copy and finish this in 1 day and it was a truly, full detailed, immersion into the Halo Universe and Timeline from 10.000.000 years ago (Precursors Age) to the end of Halo 5 (and even a bit further), including all canon books, comics, games, animated series and TV mini-series ever released, all in a perfectly fit order and accompanied by OUTSTANDING Arts and Illustrations along the journey.

This would be the most comprehensive yet quick and straightforward way to catch up with entire Halo Universe from start to finish, and to be truly ready for Halo Infinite when it will arrive these Holydays.

The only relevant piece of story left from this (only due to the timeframe it got released) is the Halo Wars 2 story, which will be extremely important for Infinite as we now got the confirmation of the Banished return.

No worries tho, after reading Halo Mythos you would have just to play Halo Wars 2 or watch this full "cinematic" version of the game here:

And you will be FULLY ready. :)

Scott x 2

Oct 27, 2017
Now this is something I need to purchase. I've got all of the books, but honestly, I just don't have the time to read them. I was going to start Bad Blood as I understand that follows Halo 5, is that also covered in this?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So is this right?

Right now theres a legion of bad AI led by Cortana & the banished will leave where they were stranded in Halo Wars 2 (I beat HW2, just forgot specifics). That's the current state of affairs right?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Now this is something I need to purchase. I've got all of the books, but honestly, I just don't have the time to read them. I was going to start Bad Blood as I understand that follows Halo 5, is that also covered in this?
Mythos got released at the end of 2016 so does not include books released after, but it's not a big issue.
Basically the entire Lore is in there, and the couple of things left out could be easily and quickly resumed on Halopedia for example.

The big absent from there is Halo Wars 2, for which the video recap in the OP should be more than enough!

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is this right?

Right now theres a legion of bad AI led by Cortana & the banished will leave where they were stranded in Halo Wars 2 (I beat HW2, just forgot specifics). That's the current state of affairs right?

Cortana is in control of the forerunner internet and has giant space drones called Guardians that can just fuck up anything
Most AI's in the universe have chosen to follow Cortana
The Spirit of Fire and The Banished are still fighting on the Ark
The Banished stopped some remaining Flood from uprising
Anders from the Spirit of Fire escaped using a Halo ring which was Intercepted by Cortana
The Infinity is on the run hiding from Cortana
Blue Team are being sent back to Reach to CASTLE Base to find "something" to combat Cortana and The Warden Eternal

The coming book Shadows of Reach will hopefully explain how chief ends up floating in space for Halo Infinite and how the Banished made it to Zeta Halo

cf_halo_shadows_of_reach_front_cvr-waypoint-a6387eaf8de740fd99304f915afb0b51.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Cortana is in control of the forerunner internet and has giant space drones called Guardians that can just fuck up anything
Anders from the Spirit of Fire escaped using a Halo ring which was Intercepted by Cortana
Blue Team are being sent back to Reach to CASTLE Base to find "something" to combat Cortana and The Warden Eternal

Sweet that's exactly what I needed

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So is this right?

Basically yes, with also Chief regrouping with the Arbiter, Blue Team, Osiris Team, Halsey, Alpha Nine ex-ODSTs (now Spartan IV), Lasky, Palmer, the other Spartan IVs and many others all aboard the Infinity, escaping Cortana's clutches on the galaxy controlled by the guardians.

Before Infinite, Chief and Blue Team also try to go back to what remained of Reach to find something useful against Cortana, and find a new threat, probably Banished but not the same faction stranded on the Ark with Atriox (but the "Shadows of Reach" novel should still be released).

Plus:

343 Guilty Spark managed to survive through a recovered fragment by an UNSC ship, which he managed to control to a Forerunner world/station, transferred himself in a promethean skelethon and after remembering his life as an ex-ancient-human, Chakas, decides to rename himself as simply "Spark".
He also got friendly and allies with Halo Wars 1 John Forge's daughter in search for the truth about the missing Spirit of Fire

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

The coming book Shadows of Reach will hopefully explain how chief ends up floating in space for Halo Infinite and how the Banished made it to Zeta Halo

cf_halo_shadows_of_reach_front_cvr-waypoint-a6387eaf8de740fd99304f915afb0b51.jpg

I love the reference to the OG Fall of Reach cover:

fTA61pCDsA7JlAAtziNtPO3m9h6XYB0kedc1Ijxr-mc.jpg

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
That reminds me, Halo lore is actually kind of great (IMO).
I can't wait to get lost in that world again.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Man, that book looks great - sadly can't find anywhere to buy it new.

May have to get a used copy.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Basically yes, with also Chief regrouping with the Arbiter, Blue Team, Osiris Team, Halsey, Alpha Nine ex-ODSTs (now Spartan IV), Lasky, Palmer, the other Spartan IVs and many others all aboard the Infinity, escaping Cortana's clutches on the galaxy controlled by the guardians.

Before Infinite, Chief and Blue Team also try to go back to what remained of Reach to find something useful against Cortana, and find a new threat, probably Banished but not the same faction stranded on the Ark with Atriox (but the "Shadows of Reach" novel should still be released).

Plus:

343 Guilty Spark managed to survive through a recovered fragment by an UNSC ship, which he managed to control to a Forerunner world/station, transferred himself in a promethean skelethon and after remembering his life as an ex-ancient-human, Chakas, decides to rename himself as simply "Spark".
He also got friendly and allies with Halo Wars 1 John Forge's daughter in search for the truth about the missing Spirit of Fire

Interesting. Sounds like a lot is being laid out for Infinite

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I love Mythos, though the cover came a little ripped. :(

Still, at least it's hardcover underneath so that's nice.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hot take, but overall I honestly believe there is more good Halo books than bad Halo books, by a decent amount. some of the "bad" ones are honestly just mediocre rather than being straight up bad.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Might be a hot take, but overall I honestly believe there is more good Halo books than bad Halo books, by a decent amount. some of the "bad" ones are honestly just mediocre rather than being straight up bad.
I don't think that's a hot take at all.

Halo's extended media is generally well regarded. At worst it's just average sci-fi.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Plus:

I was really pumped by the idea of this rag tag team of heroes being the last thing left against the galaxy's biggest threat after 5. But it feels like it might go back to the classic lone Chief against everyone.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So is this right?

Atriox only took part of his army to the Ark, its speculated that he's still there and the Banished that we will fight in Infinite are the forces he left behind when he went to the Ark.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will it be the case that they follow their own mythos though or a loose sort of reimagining taking the odd thread?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Thought this was a statement from 343 haha
Lol
Well, they did actually already said something very similar to the title, for Infinite (as a spiritual reboot, it will also welcome newcomers etc.).

But I think just reading Mythos and playing/watching HW2 will exponentially improve the experience booting up Infinite for the first time!

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I really hope they won't actually write the story for the game assuming that the players read the book.
e: actually just ignore this. This is a pretty positive thread and my post is 180 from that. Sorry.

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they won't actually write the story for the game assuming that the players read the book.
Book readers asked for extended universe lore to be included in the games story for a very long time.

Halo CE sets the tone as Chief being the last Spartan 2 and it was an outright lie. It's difficult but I think it's generally agreed that the inclusion of Blue team was a net gain for the series.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
That's not the point of this thread. Halo Mythos is a big recap of the story of the whole franchise, OP is just suggesting it for people that want to see the greater context of the universe.

Oct 25, 2019
Expanding the universe beyond Chief being the last Spartan II (among other things) was the best thing the expanded lore did. The universe is too big to keep coming back to the same lone soldier.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
the only question is as a game franchise, why can't all the (important) story be in the games.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Book readers asked for extended universe lore to be included in the games story for a very long time.

Halo CE sets the tone as Chief being the last Spartan 2 and it was an outright lie. It's difficult but I think it's generally agreed that the inclusion of Blue team was a net gain for the series.
Is Blue Team the other spartans they show with Chief in 5? I guess it's good for the people that read the books. As someone who didn't read them, I can't say I cared at all about these "hi, I'm a spartan too" characters.

It should be self contained also for newcomers according to 343, but the universe is huge and will be there with all its connections involved of course.
Hopefully. Leave the book stuff for books. I already had my H4 experience ruined by a friend constantly repeating "oh yeah, you'd understand this if you read the books" throughout the entire game. Now that I think about it, that might be why I've become so negative about Halo books.

That's not the point of this thread. Halo Mythos is a big recap of the story of the whole franchise, OP is just suggesting it for people that want to see the greater context of the universe.
Yeah, it's my bad. Anytime Halo books are brought up I get kinda pessimistic (and post first, think later), as shown in the middle quote response here. I'll hop outta the thread, y'all enjoy the stories!

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It seems like they're setting Infinite up to be this multi-coalition conflict with Chief, the UNSC and maybe other Spartans vs Cortana/her rogue AIs/Prometheans vs Covenant vs and/or Banished. As far as the combat sandbox goes that could be pretty cool. Oh and I forgot the flood - who are seemingly certain to be in given we're back on a ring.

My only question: Blue Team are going back to Reach in the book? I'm assuming this wasn't mentioned in Halo 5. I didn't realise anything of Reach was left given it was glassed. I guess it's just a wasteland now.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is Blue Team the other spartans they show with Chief in 5? I guess it's good for the people that read the books. As someone who didn't read them, I can't say I cared at all about these "hi, I'm a spartan too" characters.
Blue Team's integration in Halo 5 was poorly done, so don't judge those characters based on that.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the only question is as a game franchise, why can't all the (important) story be in the games.

Anytime story has been included in the games it was been pretty much ignored by the majority of players in fairness.

The Terminal interaction rates are silly low and Terminals don't really impact the actual game.

Halo 4 dropped the ball and few cutscenes about who people like the librarian are would have made that whole thing much better.

My only question: Blue Team are going back to Reach in the book? I'm assuming this wasn't mentioned in Halo 5. I didn't realise anything of Reach was left given it was glassed. I guess it's just a wasteland now.

It was glassed and is pretty useless BUT the location CASTLE base was 2 mile underground and heavily heavily protected. It served as a major ONI and FLEETCOM stronghold and base during the war and it surviving even if just partly the Glassing of reach isn't surprising.

"It was hidden two kilometers directly underneath Menachite Mountain, part of the Highland Mountains in the Viery Territory.[note 1] Protected by massive amounts of granite, reinforced concrete, plates of Titanium-A armor, and EMP-hardened metal,[3] it was virtually bombproof, well defended, and nigh-impenetrable.[4] "

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

Plus:

Wait!What?

The SPOILER is real stuff? O.o

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. What's the source for all this stuff? I don't see any of this in wikis.
www.halopedia.org

Halo: Renegades - Novel - Halopedia, the Halo wiki

Halo: Renegades is a novel set in the Halo universe by Kelly Gay, and released on February 19, 2019. The novel continues the story of Gay's 2016 novella Halo: Smoke and Shadow, picking up on Rion Forge and the crew of the Ace of Spades, as well as...
You can read up on the events on the wiki pages of the characters, including Spark's.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Wait!What?

The SPOILER is real stuff? O.o
Shockingly yes, haha. There are some crazy twists and turns happening on the periphery of these games. And I think the games (mostly) can be enjoyed without that context. But. Some crazy stuff that's pretty interesting too. There's so much I don't know anything about at all.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Anytime story has been included in the games it was been pretty much ignored by the majority of players in fairness.

The Terminal interaction rates are silly low and Terminals don't really impact the actual game.

Halo 4 dropped the ball and few cutscenes about who people like the librarian are would have made that whole thing much better.

It was glassed and is pretty useless BUT the location CASTLE base was 2 mile underground and heavily heavily protected. It served as a major ONI and FLEETCOM stronghold and base during the war and it surviving even if just partly the Glassing of reach isn't surprising.

"It was hidden two kilometers directly underneath Menachite Mountain, part of the Highland Mountains in the Viery Territory.[note 1] Protected by massive amounts of granite, reinforced concrete, plates of Titanium-A armor, and EMP-hardened metal,[3] it was virtually bombproof, well defended, and nigh-impenetrable.[4] "

That makes sense. That's pretty cool. If they're going there though how they're going to stumble upon the ring Chief is on? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Just bring back Offensive Bias pls, retcon everyone from Halo 4 and 5, particularly Lasky.