• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What time do you usually complete a game?

• Early Mornings (6AM - 11AM)

Votes: 28 4.6%
  • During the day (12PM - 8PM)

Votes: 98 16.1%
  • At Night (9PM - 12AM)

Votes: 311 51.1%
  • DARKNESS (1AM - 5AM)

Votes: 172 28.2%

• Total voters

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it pitch dark outside? Or do you not need to look out as the sunlight has already invaded your gaming room?

What time do you usually find yourself wrapping up a game?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Usually during the day because I always assume a game will be longer than it actually is.
Like "oh wow, I'm gonna marathon this tomorrow!" to "oh there was only 90 minutes left"
Problem with game stories is they always set up sequels and it's usually pretty hard to tell
what's going to happen in this game or the next one. So I never know what point I'm at.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to beat games on the weekend when I can commit longer play times, or before dinner on the weekdays so daytime for me.

Mar 30, 2019
maxresdefault.jpg

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Almost always Darkness. I usually play afteroon/evening/night, but when I know I'm close to the end... I keep going.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Often early on in the night or really late into the night.

Early on when I overestimate how long I think a game is going to take to complete. Something like Resident Evil 3 from this year would be a great example of this.

Really late when the game just... keeps... going. The Last of Us: Part 2 was the worst for this. I thought I'd have it done by around midnight but I didn't see the end credits until around 6am or so.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Either at night or darkness. Basically the only time I have to really focus on a game is Friday and Saturday nights. I think a month ago I was up until like 3am finishing RDR2.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
It's at night, i am a vamp... errr... no.
I just don't have luck, and when i play on a sunday afternoon close to completion of a game, i usually poorly estimate how long remains and overshoot into the night.
If i finish the game during weekdays, it has to be at night.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Night is pretty much exclusively my time to game given I work during the day + my daughter is up, so I basically can't start until she goes to bed at 7-8 or so.

Sometimes I'll sneak in a quick session in the morning or on lunch (I love working from home) but generally I'm restricted to evenings.

tok9

Prophet of Truth
Nov 2, 2017
I thought this was about that Jeff Goldblum video after beating Jurassic Park: The Lost World

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
I try to avoid finishing a game during a short play session as I like to build as much momentum as possible going into the ending. as a result, I have a tendency to finish games very late at night. when poorly calculated, it has resulted in all-nighters in the past.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Either during the day or at night. My gaming hours, when I'm free to do so, are usually between 1PM and midnight.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I have a full time job and a family. My game time is mostly done at night after the kids go to bed. So statistically, that's when I complete most of my games.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
i know you are asking time you finish a game so although psn profiles doesnt tell you it does give you all stats of when you play generally. My main hours in order are 9pm, 10pm, 8pm

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Usually night time. Having a job where I go in at 6am twice a week has made me a tired old man after about 10:30 so those long late-night sessions don't happen much anymore.

Usually during the day because I always assume a game will be longer than it actually is.
Like "oh wow, I'm gonna marathon this tomorrow!" to "oh there was only 90 minutes left"
I've done this a bit. Three games I remember suddenly beating when I thought things were just ramping up were Darksiders 2, Child of Light, and Ori

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I'm already happy that there is a bit of sunlight when I stop working, so I usually start playing when it is dark.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
Thought the thread title was mocking those cheeky "congratulations, you finished the game, now go outside" messages that a lot of games used to put in.

For me, since I work night shift and have most of my play time on my nights off, yeah it's always night. Or early morning. Time has no meaning on graveyard shift and the only natural light I know is the shitty beer.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Often early on in the night or really late into the night.

Early on when I overestimate how long I think a game is going to take to complete. Something like Resident Evil 3 from this year would be a great example of this.

Really late when the game just... keeps... going. The Last of Us: Part 2 was the worst for this. I thought I'd have it done by around midnight but I didn't see the end credits until around 6am or so.
Which ironically you could have completed RE3 from beginning to end in that extra time it took you

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like, a lot of times, it's the morning. Like I'll be playing a game til like 1:30AM on a Saturday and get to the final level or end boss, and just not have the energy to complete it, so I'll turn it off, and come back to it refreshed and ready to kick some ass on Sunday morning.

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I have these extremely vivid memories of playing telltales walking dead (season 1 and 2) in my undergrad college room. It was my evening game. Id start each episode at night, and would always finish each episode in the darkness hours of the morning. Each time the end credits hit there would be an atmospheric and moody music piece accompanying it. These moments are still so vivid in my head. Those stories and characters and the choices I had just made, mixed with the solemn music and dead quiet of the night had such a melancholy feel to it all. I love those memories.

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
The final dungeon of Persona 5 was so long, it actually was after 4 am when I beat the game. Most of the time, it's closer to midnight though.

Oct 27, 2017
I live in a busy household, so generally I wait until later at night (9PM-12AM) to sit down uninterrupted and play. I don't remember exact times, but I saw the credits for TLOU2 between 12AM and 1AM when I finished that.

My idea of a 'long' gaming session would be 4-5 hours, so I'm slower at chipping away at the big new releases.

twistedbasis

Jan 10, 2018
My most recent game completion _would have_ been "at night" (a rarity for me since I'm usually bathed in darkness) but the game was Death Stranding... so even though I thought I completed it at 10pm, I had to walk the beach until 3am to finally end it. It actually kinda soured me a bit.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Either in the evening or early next morning if I need to wrap up whatever I couldn't finish the night prior.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Usually some time after work (and dinner) and before bed. So 7pm-10pm or something like that.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i'm a early bird, so usually when i reach the final boss or ending sequence of a game, i'm already dead, so i let the fight/ending to morning when i'm fully awake and can pay attetion to everything

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I didn't beat Skyrim until last year.

I had been playing the game off and on, with different builds, since launch.

I looked out the Window and it was 8 years later, I was remarried, and I had 2 more kids. šŸ¤£

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It varies from game to game. The time I play varies from day to day, and with the variation in game length and game sessions, I've likely beaten as many games first thing in the morning as I have in the middle of the night.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I usually don't sit down to game until after supper, be it weekday or weekend.

So after midnight feels most plausible. And since I'm not fit for all-nighters anymore, 3-4 AM is usually my cutoff point on weekends (earlier on weekdays, since I have to get up and work).