• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 59955

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Flash season 1 and 2 actually looked pretty good from a cinematagrophy standpoint. Like the style and coloring and way it was filmed just felt spot on. Season 1 and 2 had this more cinematic, less soap opera look and feel to them. Season 2 looks better than most CW shows. You can actually see the quality difference by looking at scenes from Season 1/2/3 vs S4/5/6. Here's some examples.

The Flash Season 2: Henry's death scene

Now let's look at a scene from Flash season 4

Here's another good example of how well filmed season 2 was

Now here's a scene of Cicada in season 5

Like look at that. It looks so cheap and low budget. The feel and look of Season 4 and 5 and 6 has felt really cheap to me. I really don't understand why they changed the style of the show. It used to look and feel like a legitimate show. Now it looks like a soap opera. Budget loss? Laziness? What's the reasoning? Season 1 and 2's filming with the addition of their great music really helped make the seasons enjoyable.

Last edited:

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
They probably changed the budget of the show due to how many fucking boring CW DC Shows there are. If you think it's bad take a look at shows like Supergirl and Black Lightning.

In example:

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
They probably changed the budget of the show due to how many fucking boring CW DC Shows there are. If you think it's bad take a look at shows like Supergirl and Black Lightning.

In example:

CW's current use of cinematography really really makes me miss Gotham. Gotham is how you make a show look good. This is just bad.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Flash season 1 and 2 actually looked pretty good from a cinematagrophy standpoint. Like the style and coloring and way it was filmed just felt spot on. Season 1 and 2 had this more cinematic, less soap opera look and feel to them. Season 2 looks better than most CW shows. You can actually see the quality difference by looking at scenes from Season 1/2/3 vs S4/5/6. Here's some examples.

The Flash Season 2: Henry's death scene

Now let's look at a scene from Flash season 4

Here's another good example of how well filmed season 2 was

Now here's a scene of Cicada in season 5

Like look at that. It looks so cheap and low budget. The feel and look of Season 4 and 5 and 6 has felt really cheap to me. I really don't understand why they changed the style of the show. It used to look and feel like a legitimate show. Now it looks like a soap opera. Budget loss? Laziness? What's the reasoning? Season 1 and 2's filming with the addition of their great music really helped make the seasons enjoyable.

Once a show has the fanbase that it is going to get, less money and effort needs to be spent on effects, costuming etc. At this point, momentum and character drama are what will keep people engaged.

This is pretty universally true with most American serialized shows.

There are obvious exceptions. But none of them are on a network as obviously cash-strapped as the CW.

OP
OP

Deleted member 59955

Banned
Sep 14, 2019
Once a show has the fanbase that it is going to get, less money and effort needs to be spent on effects, costuming etc. At this point, momentum and character drama are what will keep people engaged.

This is pretty universally true with most American serialized shows.

There are obvious exceptions. But none of them are on a network as obviously cash-strapped as the CW.

The CW can't even manage to do Character Drama right in Flash anymore. The only good drama from the last 4 seasons, was the stuff between Nora, Eobard and Barry in season 5. The rest of it has felt repetitive, melodramatic and or dumb.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
Season 1 is the only one I own on blu-ray. Stopped watching half-way through the Savitar season...fucking awful.

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I can't get excited for the CW Superman show. I know what to expect from the quality. I would've been excited if it was apart of the Titansverse where the writing is so much better, or maybe an HBO Max show.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Season 1 seemed to have a big budget specially if you look at the gorilla and shark episodes.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Season 1 is the only one I own on blu-ray. Stopped watching half-way through the Savitar season...fucking awful.
For me, the turning point was the Zoom unmasking. Another evil speester revealed to be a trusted advisor, but not as good, just felt the show ran out of imagination, and the meta human of the week formula got very boring. Arrow is flawed, but the recent series at least tried to come up with shaking up the formula like putting Oliver in jail half the series, making him mayor and the monitor arc in the recent series. The Flash is so formulaic. I watched a bit of it the other day and Killer frost is just a 30 year old actress acting like a 13 year old teenager and they make a big scene where she tries to be creative and draws a stick man. So bad!

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, the turning point was the Zoom unmasking. Another evil speester revealed to be a trusted advisor, but not as good, just felt the show ran out of imagination, and the meta human of the week formula got very boring. Arrow is flawed, but the recent series at least tried to come up with shaking up the formula like putting Oliver in jail half the series, making him mayor and the monitor arc in the recent series. The Flash is so formulaic. I watched a bit of it the other day and Killer frost is just a 30 year old actress acting like a 13 year old teenager and they make a big scene where she tries to be creative and draws a stick man. So bad!

You hit the nail on the head for me, I couldn't believe they were completely rehashing season 1, especially when they had so many other possibilities to make an interesting storyline.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Arrow's first two seasons and Flash's first were next level. Sucks how far its fallen but this last season of Arrow's been pretty decent so far.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Flash's problems aren't with how it looks. Lately it's the writers figuring out how to keep Barry a useless moron

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing Cisco give an award worthy performance for his death in season one to his campy hacker doppleganger is pretty sad

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Alright, maybe I'm biased toward shows like Doom Patrol but all your clips looks pretty bad imo.
The ones from Season 2 are a bit better then the others, sure, but it still look really cheap.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
Shoe string budget being spread over a bunch of new shows.

Look at Batwoman season 1 looks cheap as fuck and you just know CW gonna add another show to the mix and Batwoman S2 gonna be even more tragic.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
All this talk about the show devolving into something that looks so low-budget... the show's budget probably IS lower.

Cost cutting can help keep something on the air.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny that because I didn't bother with them back in the day because stuff like the Netflix Marvel shows had far better production values. Then the CW shows even got worse.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They tend to use all of the show's budgeting for the crossover episodes, where they often end up at places that don't look like Vancouver. Not to mention the quality of the camera work and the choreography improves.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao you really like making Flash threads huh

They're all quality to me so I'm not complaining

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
That first clip has weird pacing. Like it's going at previous episode recap pacing but it's the regular part of the episode.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Can't blame the production team, a tiny budget and time constraints must be hell to deal with.

I really wish they'd move on to smaller seasons. Cut out the fluff and really move the story forward.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
541z0qb.gif

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The first two seasons of Flash were fantastic, and it does feel like quality has dropped across the board after that. I'm not even watching it week to week anymore.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
I remember being impressed that they managed to get Grodd looking as good as he did in his first episode on a TV budget.

...sorta understandable that they couldn't keep up that momentum, but if it takes you out of the story, then it takes you out of the story whether it's understandable or not.