• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 22, 2018
There is definitely something going on with either the latency or the balance. I just played a round as the soldier and couldn't kill squat. The rifle was barely taking off any damage to even the support characters, and the jet pack goes from 0-1000 mph causing you to hit the invisible ceiling and become a sitting duck. Still though there is a lot of potential here.

Does anyone know about the rewards and if it's just one surprise item at a time? Also are there no character variants?

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
Like it but think some of the balancing could use some work:

1. Maps are huge - they've always been huge but feels like adding in sprint exacerbated it by allowing them to be even bigger for no reason. Seriously, returning to it but I think I timed it on respawning on one map and it took me like 20-30 seconds to SPRINT back to the fight from respawn.
  2. Some characters suck and some are great - obviously it's the first day (lmao),
    1. Chomper feels rough (seems way easier for people to just keep jumping, while even if I mash the swallow button it doesn't work)
    2. Night cap seems crazy. Hard target to hit that does a ton of damage yet has safe exit options.
    3. Soldier seems nerfed - his regular shot used to do more damage I felt like?
    4. In general, plants just seem stronger
Outside of that - how do you get gear? Been buying stuff from the ball machine but idk how else to get variants.

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Played the Xbox one version for an hour or so but man the connection to every match was just plain funky. Just felt like I was playing with 300ms+ ping, really odd. Shame because the gameplay itself was really fun.

Fingers crossed it was just me being unlucky and it'll be better the next time I try it.
It's a real shame this is still an issue after the alpha. It's got that Frostbite jerkiness but far worse than usual. Using the foot soldier's rocket jump for example is almost useless as by the time the game updates to show you doing the ability you're already in the way down.

Jun 17, 2018
What's the overall consensus on this so far? I loved the first entry but the second one was just far too much to take in and almost gave me too many options.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the special variant abilities are locked when you rank up your class (hitting level 10 and resetting), and all of the gear is just cosmetic

Chomper has his Hotrod and Vampire Spikeweed abilities locked behind the rank up system, and those used to be variant abilities.

I hope the cosmetics change, but I like that the gameplay abilities aren't locked behind RNG this time around.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Exploration spoilers about the Town Center. Click if you want to get an idea of how much stuff there is.

FnYSdKW.jpg

Then I found the Sewers and the tunnels beneath the town and some weird gnome shrine:

oKS3BVT.jpg

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Like it but think some of the balancing could use some work:

1. Maps are huge - they've always been huge but feels like adding in sprint exacerbated it by allowing them to be even bigger for no reason. Seriously, returning to it but I think I timed it on respawning on one map and it took me like 20-30 seconds to SPRINT back to the fight from respawn.
  2. Some characters suck and some are great - obviously it's the first day (lmao),
    1. Chomper feels rough (seems way easier for people to just keep jumping, while even if I mash the swallow button it doesn't work)
    2. Night cap seems crazy. Hard target to hit that does a ton of damage yet has safe exit options.
    3. Soldier seems nerfed - his regular shot used to do more damage I felt like?
    4. In general, plants just seem stronger
Outside of that - how do you get gear? Been buying stuff from the ball machine but idk how else to get variants.

Agreed about Night Cap. They're crazy tough and I'm already starting to see whole teams of predominantly Night Caps. It's rough.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoah that's out of nowhere. And only $30 if you buy it now...I'll wait for more impressions though.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I've not played yet, but I've always felt they could do with a limit on how many classes you can have on a team.
I can't remember if the second one had that to be honest, but the first would always be like 8 soldiers/pea shooters every match.

uncleniccius

Nov 3, 2017
Wait, it is basically the third game and isn't battle royale? I assumed battle royale when it leaked due to the title.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like the special variant abilities are locked when you rank up your class (hitting level 10 and resetting), and all of the gear is just cosmetic

Chomper has his Hotrod and Vampire Spikeweed abilities locked behind the rank up system, and those used to be variant abilities.

I hope the cosmetics change, but I like that the gameplay abilities aren't locked behind RNG this time around.

I was thinking more along the lines of like the Electric/Flame/Yeti/Unicorn variants that you got to add elemental effects to your weapons. In addition, playing more as chomper, but it's kind of fucked that someone can just sprint away if they don't get insta-gimped by you. Normally in 1/2 I'd be able to to chomp them at least manually, but even if I'm in underground mode I don't think you can catch someone sprinting?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a LOT to do in this first map area. Seems like there's going to be a lot for single player

I was thinking more along the lines of like the Electric/Flame/Yeti/Unicorn variants that you got to add elemental effects to your weapons. In addition, playing more as chomper, but it's kind of fucked that someone can just sprint away if they don't get insta-gimped by you. Normally in 1/2 I'd be able to to chomp them at least manually, but even if I'm in underground mode I don't think you can catch someone sprinting?

I don't think so but they had to nerf Chomper somehow, he can sprint AND has a regular shot now.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Tempted, wish it had crossplay. Worried about pc population
Read my mind. I think PC is a harder nut to crack for games like this because people can't just stumble on it while browsing the store. I could see a lot of PvZ: BfN blind buys for the kids because it's not like there's a whole lot of family friendly options on the PS4 and XB1. The low system requirements also work in the game's favor. If I was working at EA I would be pushing hard to get the PC port on store shelves even if it's just a box with a download code.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so but they had to nerf Chomper somehow, he can sprint AND has a regular shot now.

I didn't play 2, but was Chomper way better than everyone else? He has an insta-kill, but it's generally a suicidal move unless you're defending. Giving him sprint doesn't do much since before if you caught someone alone, even if you missed your insta you could probably get the kill. Now if they sprint your only option is to chase them back to the team or back off, so he's fucked again.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned that they plan on making this X enhanced? Certainly not as crisp as I would like the visuals .. hoping this is just an early access thing.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
im getting a shit ton of stuttering on pc. fps isnt dropping. anyone else?

edit: nevermind, hopped online and its dropping like crazy. 9600k 1070

edit2: its gotten much better after either restarting/or playing a bit longer. still suffering from stuttering though. need separate sensitivity when zoomed in and controlling garlic drone.

Last edited:

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
So all I can say after playing about two hours splitscreen with my son, is my first impressions are very positive. Keep in mind we both love this series, and this just seems like the natural next step. The PVE zone seems for sure larger and more interesting. The new characters and changes to old are going to take some time to get a handle on, but of course learning this stuff is fun. The new version of Frostbite running here, I dunno the details under the hood but IMO it looks significantly better than Garden Warfare 2, more detailed, a slightly toned-down color palette which I like. And, FINALLY, split screen in the PVP modes! A huge boon to our household. I think the only minor gripe we had is text is super small in split screen, and at first you really need to read the descriptions on new powers and stuff, we ended up just grabbing two chairs and sitting very close to the TV.

Anyway this is just early hours but I think this is gonna give us a lot of hours of fun, just like the previous Garden Warfare games.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
im getting a shit ton of stuttering on pc. fps isnt dropping. anyone else?

edit: nevermind, hopped online and its dropping like crazy. 9600k 1070

edit2: its gotten much better after either restarting/or playing a bit longer. still suffering from stuttering though. need separate sensitivity when zoomed in and controlling garlic drone.

Did you enable directx 12? It's buggy as hell right now.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
I can't tell if that mushroom ninja is wrecking everybody because he is op or is that because of wacky latency which results in nobody able to catch him 🤔 .
So yeah, the game is as fun as ever ... minus the messy latency :/

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So all I can say after playing about two hours splitscreen with my son, is my first impressions are very positive. Keep in mind we both love this series, and this just seems like the natural next step. The PVE zone seems for sure larger and more interesting. The new characters and changes to old are going to take some time to get a handle on, but of course learning this stuff is fun. The new version of Frostbite running here, I dunno the details under the hood but IMO it looks significantly better than Garden Warfare 2, more detailed, a slightly toned-down color palette which I like. And, FINALLY, split screen in the PVP modes! A huge boon to our household. I think the only minor gripe we had is text is super small in split screen, and at first you really need to read the descriptions on new powers and stuff, we ended up just grabbing two chairs and sitting very close to the TV.

Anyway this is just early hours but I think this is gonna give us a lot of hours of fun, just like the previous Garden Warfare games.
What platform were you playing on and how was the splitscreen framerate. I loved split screen in GW2 and the framerate was almost rock solid 60 and had a great FoV in split screen too. Really hoping they haven't downgraded it since.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like the TTK is kinda way too low at the moment.
I'm defintely enjoying what I've tried so far, but I'm a Team Vanquish player mainly, so I'll only be able to judge it properly next week.

It doesn't help that on both matches I've played so far, I'm the only healer. Hopefully once people have got out of the honeymoon phase with the new characters, we might see more varied and useful teams.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you transfer anything from GW2 over? I recall GW to GW2 let you transfer over any variants you unlocked in the previous game. Is that the same case here?

Some of those variants are the primary way I play those plants/zombies now.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Can you transfer anything from GW2 over? I recall GW to GW2 let you transfer over any variants you unlocked in the previous game. Is that the same case here?

Some of those variants are the primary way I play those plants/zombies now.

Nope. For the time being, variants aren't in, and some of the characters have different moves. For example, Sunflower now sprinkles her healing stars herself, rather than planting a sunflower pot, and Kernel Corn now has a tracker grenade that lets you see enemies through walls, instead of the airstrike.

does this play like garden warfare?

Yep, although for the time being, it's just the objective based mode that's in. TDM is coming next week.
It's the 3rd game in all but name, basically.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. For the time being, variants aren't in, and some of the characters have different moves. For example, Sunflower now sprinkles her healing stars herself, rather than planting a sunflower pot, and Kernel Corn now has a tracker grenade that lets you see enemies through walls, instead of the airstrike.

Yep, although for the time being, it's just the objective based mode that's in. TDM is coming next week.
It's the 3rd game in all but name, basically.
Cool. I just got 2 not too long ago. So I'll wait on this one.

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Ok wow! caught up in all the gears hype I completely missed this announcement! Really love GW1 and 2 so this is a nice surprise. Will grab the founders edition for sure later

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's Garden Warfare 3, really. Looks great, too. Two crashes before the first big boss, but it's a lovely and polished experience.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
Really loving this a lot so far, only issue is that PC performance is really weird, quite a few random framedrops and mouse sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own, but hopefully that'll be sorted out sooner than later.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Server is fairly wonky right now, resulting in missing shots you shouldn't. Also there seems to be some kind of dynamic resolution on Pro and the framerate can tank for no reason. Besides that, it's pretty great

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Really loving this a lot so far, only issue is that PC performance is really weird, quite a few random framedrops and mouse sometimes seems to have a mind of it's own, but hopefully that'll be sorted out sooner than later.

Restarting the game helped me with that. Was smooth afterwards. Not sure if a coincidence, or perhaps it was something backend related.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Keep getting total system lockups when playing this and the only way is to hold the power button on my PC :(

Shame as I really like it.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks to see PC players having a hard time. Been playing it on XB1 and it's been very solid outside of balance issues which are to be expected early on.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
I think we are largely assuming that variants will be added sometime in the weeks leading to launch, have they actually confirmed this? I would be surprised if they ditched the variant system but I guess you never know.

Travalore

Jul 14, 2019
I think we are largely assuming that variants will be added sometime in the weeks leading to launch, have they actually confirmed this? I would be surprised if they ditched the variant system but I guess you never know.

They more or less confirmed character variants aren't coming back in the dev stream by saying variants have been replaced by the new more in-depth upgrade system.

Now the following they haven't confirmed, but I'm pretty sure they're following the hero shooter route popularised by Overwatch of releasing new characters every so often, big flag for this is their wording of the achievement for getting all current characters to max rank as "Promote 20 characters to the rank of Master" as opposed to all characters, but this is just speculation of course.