• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

You can only choose 1. Which do you choose and why?

• Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 183 78.9%
  • Nioh 1

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Nioh 2

Votes: 38 16.4%

• Total voters

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sekiro because it's amazing, has some of the best environments and bosses, and has one of the most badass final boss fights of all time.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sekiro on the value of being a functional, fun videogame.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Sekiro. Haven't played Nioh 2 but Nioh 1 was really repetitive with both environments and enemies. There was barely any variety.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I LOVE NiOh, still haven't got around to 2. The best thing in NiOh is when you're in combat. It's just loads of fun. But then enemies drop tons of things and after every third to fifth enemy you're just sorting your inventory. It kinda got on my nerves after like 200 hours. :P

I voted Sekiro, because it not only gives you that rush in combat(probably the best sword on sword combat designed so far to me), but it has a lot of other things going on as well. It has exploration of very well designed levels, it has the by now typical FromSoft lore you can dive into and most important for me in this decision, it has very few RPG mechanics to it. Now I know that's not always a boon for everyone but compared to the overload of NiOh, I just prefer its more simple approach.

Both are amazing games though.

Daouzin

Oct 28, 2017
Arizona
Sekiro has higher highs and higher lows than Nioh 1 or 2, but the overall experience of Ni-oh 2 is more fun. Sekiro also asks for more specific demands/a specific playstyle while Nioh is more free form in what it expects.

Both are great, but Ni-oh 1/2 are just more fun over all. They are all great games though.

My vote went to Ni-oh 2.

Last edited:

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro was on a different level.
Nioh was very fun, but sekiro stuck with me much more. it's an easy choice really.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Sekiro really soured on me the more I played it. I got the plat in both Nioh 1 & 2. So Nioh 2 it is!

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
A different game altogether is my choice. None of those do anything for me. I'll save ... StarTropics.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
There's a path that you take once you get on land in Nioh, after the castle. It winds around and you fight some enemies and what not. I've tried twice and have yet to see where that path leads.

ive played sekiro 3 times and have the plat.

*Edit: I will try again. I do like what I played, just always drop off right there.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Sekiro. one of the most memorable bosses in gaming, coherent world design and great challenge even for seasoned From Soft players.

Nioh 2 soured me on the franchise, barely any changes from the first game, dull leveldesign and just too easy for such a game, they trivialized the gameplay with the burst counter and the yokai skills. and these days i couldn´t care less about Diablo loot pinata stuff.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Nioh 2. Sekiro is not even remotely my kind of play style and it doesn't really let you play it any other way. Just not fun for me at all.

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
Sekiro easily. The sword duels are probably the best in all of gaming. From the sound effects and animations of the blades clashing with the tense back and forth of player and boss it's incredible.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I consider FromSoftware my favorite developer. The likes of Bloodborne, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 are my most favorite games. But Nioh 2 easily. Nothing can top Nioh combat and this one has a character creator so that just seals the deal. I'm not boring ass Wolf, I'm cool ass samurai princess with switchglaive.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I "liked" Sekiro, played it on PC and PS4, got the platinum, it was fun but in the end it's was a... Underwhelming experience. I don't have the words to say it but the game has so many issues for me that it was a faaaaaar from memorable experience. It's not a "Souls" game, but for me is the weakest modern FROM game. So many mixed feelings with this game hahahaha.

Nioh never clicked for me, and I'm not a fan of the "mission" system.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Had to choose Sekiro out of those three. I liked Nioh a lot when it came out, but all the loot management you have to do got pretty tedious for me. I didn't really like having to constantly rid myself of dozens of items to clear inventory space. Nioh 2 started out really strong for me, but I found the difficulty spiked late in the game to a pretty ridiculous degree. Maybe that's on me missing a mechanic or something, but it was a case of serious diminishing returns.

Sekiro is a weird game to me. I think as a whole game, it has some serious faults in its level design, it's difficulty curve, and giving you incentive to really explore around you. On the other hand, some of the boss encounters are incredibly memorable and learning the dance, as it were, was rewarding in a way that few games manage. The game could honestly be a boss rush and it would probably be just about as good as the fully fleshed out game.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro in literally every category. I platinumed all three games, but think less and less of both Nioh entries the further out I get from them.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nioh 2 for me specially since they keep adding new difficulties to it and I love my Kusarigama.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro. Nioh 2 has been crack for me the past few weeks. I'd put it above Nioh and GoT, and it arguably has the best combat out of any of these games, but the combination of Sekiro's soaring highs and Miyazaki art direction are tough to beat. Plus if has the added feather of genuinely great movement/traversal.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Only played through Sekiro and Nioh 1 but out of those two I'd choose Nioh 1 easily. To me it has a far better combat system which makes the moment to moment gameplay much more engaging. It also allows for far more customization and experimentation.
Sekiro is overall to me the weakest modern Fromsoft game next to Demon's Souls. Still a good game but a disappointment coming from Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3.