• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
True, non-stretched widescreen!

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/bmc9t9/bsneshd_beta_5_bsnes_1073_formally_hd_mode_7_mod/

The caveat is that it's broken as hell, but it seems to be an interesting attempt. You need to use this bsnes fork called bsnes-hd.

To make it truly widescreen compatible across the board will require a huge effort with romhacks but this could very well be a future where true widescreen SNES games could be sold on PC and consoles

dghdghhgkdjt3.png

q1B4Y1T.png

Screens from me or my friends:

sgsfdgzbk11.png

fjfgjhg4mkdb.png

dfhjdghdgh0jj94.png

srthsgsdfg2tjks.png

qergsfdgfdgbqkil.png

dfgsdgsfgygjz6.png

yfhkghkdukz0.png

dhfhfghghfdypkvl.png

fgfjfghbqk9o.png

qdfgsfgfgdsfghmj56.png

fhjkghjkj09jjv.png

ytryityiuhmjzs.png

sdfghdhy7kf4.png

dhsrfhsregg3j5k.png

tdjghdhkvj8x.png

BONUS: Ultra-widescreen (21:9)

tdjgfhgkzgkuf.png

gdhjfgjidklu.png

etyuetyureyowkaa.png
dghdghjfjujjp9.png

qfgsfgsdjzf.png

hhhfbkjt.png

Last edited:

Red

Oct 26, 2017
This is what popped up in that hi res mode 7 thread right. Really cool.

God the SNES was a monster. So many of those games hold up. It's crazy.
Man it would be awesome if this came to the super nt
Maybe with some custom firmware or something? And a hacked ROM? I have no idea. Would be great though.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is quite nice, but the interface will always be within the 4:3 window it seems. Am very interested in trying this myself some day.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Looks neat, but I wonder if games designed for the SNES aspect ratio actually play well in widescreen, from a design perspective.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Looks cool but I can imagine the enemy placement will be totally fucked. And the screen will probably try to show something beyond the level boundaries. This would only really work well with lots of hacking for every game. I can only see that play well in a game like F-Zero.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's neat but i wouldn't want to play these games in a aspect ration that they weren't designed for.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if people do widescreen hacks of the roms to allow this to be functional.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Pretty freakin cool. I imagine most games won't play properly and have weird visual issues all over but over time? I expect people to clean up a lot of these games so their fully functional.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Wha.

I assume sprites will act quite messy with this but it's still incredible and the screenshots look gorgeous.

This kinda reminds me of that function in emulators that allowed GameGear games to display at a higher resolution. It had some pretty crazy results.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
this is one of those "I appreciate the technical wizardry but I'm not sure why I would actually want this" things for me

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, this will work better for some games than others (Last Bible there having some issues with menu wrapping), though finding out that will be half the fun.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get the obsession with forcing older 4:3 games to display 16:9.

Do the black bars really bother people that much? I actually feel like I'm getting a worse experience when using this stuff, many games from the past were never intended for 16:9. You're seeing extra screen space that was never intended to be seen by the developers.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
This is cool! Though yeah, I'm sure it's super busted.

On a semi-related note, I just decided to start watching the new Sailor Moon dub on Hulu. I watched Sailor Moon as a kid on Fox Kids back in the day so its been interesting going through it. I mention this because the screenshot of Sailor Moon crying is funny to me as I apparently forgot about just how often she cries. It's like a minimum of twice an episode. lol. She's also a lazy slacker gamer which I didn't remember either.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really get the obsession with forcing older 4:3 games to display 16:9.

Do the black bars really bother people that much? I actually feel like I'm getting a worse experience when using this stuff, many games from the past were never intended for 16:9. You're seeing extra screen space that was never intended to be seen by the developers.
This is not stretched widescreen but true widescreen. I have no issue with the original aspect ratio but I'm also open to having widescreen solutions where you get to see more of the game on your screen

hankenta

Oct 25, 2017
It still cuts stuff off though. You can see it in the snow trail in the last bible 3 screenshot and Sailor Moon's boot is missing on the right.

Well it's gonna wary between games. For Last Bible that's where the snow sprites are drawn on the screen, and the Sailor Moon sprite probably actually looks like that with no boot.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
it's really apparent how masterful the pixel art is in these games when directly compared to modern indie games that use 16:9 aspect ratio as well

the art still holds up beautifully. good pixel art is timeless

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty fucking cool, honestly.

Though this will require a lots, lots and lots of tweaking, per-game adjustments.

The SNES emulation scene, if you're looking for a 1:1 experience, is pretty much at the best place it can be, so why the hell not. When you reached this point, might as well start experiencing with new stuff, just like that HD Mode 7 we heard about a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
This is incredible. I want this kind of thing for all my old games and consoles.