• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
They should help Sony to implement it this way if they are unable to do it themselves.
You, take note.

www.playstation.com

Change ID

Change ID

Change the online ID associated with your account on PlayStation Network

• Change your current online ID to a new ID from your PlayStation®4 system or web browser.
  • Change your online ID as many times as you want. The change is free the first time. After that, the cost is $9.99 USD/CAD per change ($4.99 USD/CAD with PlayStation Plus subscription).

i was going to say

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You do know XBL launched in 2002?
You dont think someone could have a change of heart/mind over the course of 16 years?

Hell someone could have been like 10 when they made their account.....at 26 chances of having the same mindset is slim as shit.

I do mind paying for such a basic thing.
This type of mentality and corp shilling caused paid online on consoles in the first place "it's for our own good! We should've known better"

But nvm ignore the derail and enjoy your free name change

That's fine, but there is an opportunity for free change and the cost to change your name after that point fairly small. There have now been two free opportunities for people to change their names. As I said, having people changing their names frequently is confusing and frustrating so it being kept to a minimum seems preferable to me.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
The person with "nilla puddin" hasn't logged in for 10 years but they won't kick him off!!

And the space counts, and that person signed up before me so I never had a chance at just "nillapuddin"

I could do it now, but it would be nillapuddin#1234 and homie don't play dat.

Also yeah, I signed up as a 13-15 year old or something, I'm 28 now, but I'm kinda stuck with nillapuddin even though I can't say I even know why the hell I picked it in the first place lol

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Are they going to append numbers to your name no matter what? Or if it's unique, will you not have numbers? Based on the earlier conversation, I can't tell.

Looking at the website, I'm not seeing numbers, but if they show up later, I'll be irritated.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
The person with "nilla puddin" hasn't logged in for 10 years but they won't kick him off!!

And the space counts, and that person signed up before me so I never had a chance at just "nillapuddin"

I could do it now, but it would be nillapuddin#1234 and homie don't play dat.

Also yeah, I signed up as a 13-15 year old or something, I'm 28 now, but I'm kinda stuck with nillapuddin even though I can't say I even know why the hell I picked it in the first place lol

I had Op Ivy from the start of xbox live. early into the 360 generation I canceled a credit card and forgot that was what was used for live auto pay. when the card was declined and my live account was suspended, there was some glitch where MS help couldn't reactivate my account - i HAD to create a new one, losing my gamertag probably forever. ugh. i'll take Op Ivy(###) i guess

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
So if you have an OG tag, they're not going to tack numbers on the end of it right?

Because honestly if they do that I'm going to be pretty annoyed, especially after spending money and effort getting one after that purge.

Do you people always have to turn things into fanboy nonsense?

If you're going to do that, at least be accurate in what you say. Sony has had this for a while now.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

stop this:

You, take note.

www.playstation.com

Change ID

Change ID

Change the online ID associated with your account on PlayStation Network

• Change your current online ID to a new ID from your PlayStation®4 system or web browser.
  • Change your online ID as many times as you want. The change is free the first time. After that, the cost is $9.99 USD/CAD per change ($4.99 USD/CAD with PlayStation Plus subscription).

___

So rare that Nintendo is the only one where you can change how many times you want, with no risk of duplicate prohibition and free.

Hey, Nintendo gets these things right first sometimes. They were the first ones to have digital gifting after all.

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
I had Op Ivy from the start of xbox live. early into the 360 generation I canceled a credit card and forgot that was what was used for live auto pay. when the card was declined and my live account was suspended, there was some glitch where MS help couldn't reactivate my account - i HAD to create a new one, losing my gamertag probably forever. ugh. i'll take Op Ivy(###) i guess

Let me know how that works out, initially they said a bunch of games wont support it and that we might still see the numbers in the game and on the Xbox dashboard and I don't want that. but if everything looks good and not janky I might be willing to switch

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm looking at the "This us how you'll look if you change your gamer tag screen" and I don't seem numbers.

Does that mean it's unique and will not have numbers? Or am I going to see the numbers only after committing to the change? I'm fairly certain this gamer tag would be unique.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I remember being angry at the design of 360 and so named my tag something to the effect of "Xb0xD3ignFlaw". Should have changed it now for free. Oh well.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Dilema!

my current Gamertag is 14 years old which is SadGore and the one I always wanted but was taken at the time is now free but I've grown attached to my current one...

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I assume this will be changed in an update?
Came here to ask this. So on Windows 10 games it doesn't look like the feature is supported yet? Going to hold off if that's the case then; I don't want my name to be Samaritan1234.
It's displayed like that in most games too. This change has zero support, it's awful, keep away from non-unique names with numbers people.

Scratch that! It looks like they actually fixed this in a recent update.

The only place where it's displayed as Username1234 is in the Xbox Console Companion, which they are currently phasing out anyway.

Not sure what games are having issues with it though.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking at the "This us how you'll look if you change your gamer tag screen" and I don't seem numbers.

Does that mean it's unique and will not have numbers? Or am I going to see the numbers only after committing to the change? I'm fairly certain this gamer tag would be unique.

If you don't see the numbers in the "how you'll look" thing then your Gamertag is unique.

Test it with a Gamertag that is already taken and you'll see the difference.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Scratch that! It looks like they actually fixed this in a recent update.

The only place where it's displayed as Username1234 is in the Xbox Console Companion, which they are currently phasing out anyway.

Not sure what games are having issues with it though.
So does the name show up without numbers on Windows? I mostly only play Forza Horizon 4, but I'm not going to change my name if it means having numbers on PC.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
So does the name show up without numbers on Windows? I mostly only play Forza Horizon 4, but I'm not going to change my name if it means having numbers on PC.
Depends on where you are. If you're looking at your friendlist, you won't see any numbers until you enter their profile or send them a message.

de4grr9jnh.png

Not sure how it's displaying your own name though. I might give it a shot later.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Depends on where you are. If you're looking at your friendlist, you won't see any numbers until you enter their profile or send them a message.

de4grr9jnh.png

Not sure how it's displaying your own name though. I might give it a shot later.
If you can tell me how it shows up in a crossplay game that'd be great! I don't care how it shows up to myself, just how it appears to everyone else.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it not actually allowing duplicate names as it is adding unique numbers to the end of them.

Couldn't people just do this themselves anyway? And to get this 'new' feature players are being restricted to 12 characters instead of 16.

Am I missing something here?

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh nice. Finally changed my name after a decade. So they're following Blizzard's name changing policy? After X amount of time, you get one free name change? I noticed the 4 numbers after your gamertag to differentiate those that use the same name.

Cth

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I'm just glad they didn't force a minimum gamertag length.. forget 16 characters, let me keep my 3. :D

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I gave up wanting to change my namertag/username because even if I could change it the username I would want would be already taken. And every one just calls me by my real name anyway.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
NutterB

Will the gamertag changes be free when the system is fully implemented or locked behind a paywall like before?

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I probably going to change my user name. Back then in 2006 when I created the account I randomly chose "03" at a suffix to my user name, now people may mistakenly think I was born in 03. Time to get rid of that number!

They probably did that to retain support for Xbox 360 games
They did not so with the password, though, which was really frustrating. I couldn't log into my Xbox/MS account on OG Xbox 360 because the mask wouldn't take more characters; it simply stopped taking further characters. Had to change my password via browser so I could log in on the Xbox 360. (I created the long password via MS's webpage on PC after buying an Xbox One with more digital titles).

A shame they don't update the 360 any more but rather put those limitations upon the user.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine paying for a name change
Yikes
it's a deterrent, its a good thing.

So rare that Nintendo is the only one where you can change how many times you want, with no risk of duplicate prohibition and free.
Names mean nothing on the Nintendo's system though, I can't add anyone based on name, can't message, I'm a generated number, not a name . Thank god it's nothing like that on other systems. I'm Prine, that's it. One and only.

Last edited:

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tip.
My name contains a lowercase L, so I could do the I -> I trick. Which will hopefully look normal across various UI's.
So screw you, numbers. And also whoever took my name, which may or not have been myself at some point.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
They did not so with the password, though, which was really frustrating. I couldn't log into my Xbox/MS account on OG Xbox 360 because the mask wouldn't take more characters; it simply stopped taking further characters. Had to change my password via browser so I could log in on the Xbox 360. (I created the long password via MS's webpage on PC after buying an Xbox One with more digital titles).

A shame they don't update the 360 any more but rather put those limitations upon the user.
Yeah, the password issue is something I experienced a while back, as well. Very frustrating. I ended up enabling two-factor authentication and using a special device password so I wouldn't have to compromise the strength of my Microsoft account password.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Even Xbox companion app does not support new tag system and xbox beta app just shows OLD gamertag after several days of change. I know W10 gaming is afterthought for MS but lol.