• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Just changed mine via Xbox.com and didn't have to pay the standard fee. You can duplicate an existing gamertag too, which will add a #somenumbers at the end of it.

Last edited:

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
have you ever changed before? because the first time you do is free if I remember correctly

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they removed some older gamertags who arent used anymore.
Edit: Wait isnt it now like they said a while back they have changed it to a discord style thing?

edit 2: Its says also this. "
Since this is your first gamertag change with the new system, we're giving you a freebie. But after that, you may have to pay for it"

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
It's been like this for a few months but you only get one free name change again. After that it's back to paying.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
So gamertag now works like battletag on battle.net? There's now hidden number so people can have same names?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Just gave it a try myself. Got this message so it's not free now, appears to just be because they changed to a new system we're all getting another free change because I've changed my GT before 100% and got it for free:

"Since this is your first gamertag change with the new system, we're giving you a freebie. But after that, you may have to pay for it."

And the # thing:

"Here's what your gamertag will look like
PhilSpencer#6451 - Xbox One console and Xbox apps
PhilSpencer6451 - Xbox games that don't support the new gamertag system* and all Xbox 360 experiences"

So, yep. Cool find, I had no idea they changed it.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
So gamertag now works like battletag on battle.net? There's now hidden number so people can have same names?
Yes. It's basically now like Discord or battle.net.

How have gamertags changed?

We've updated new Xbox gamertags to support a 12-character max, Unicode-based name of your choice, with an auto-generated suffix if the gamertag is shared. We now offer 13 different alphabets for gamers, which support more than 200 languages worldwide.

Can I keep my existing gamertag?

Of course. You can keep your current gamertag with zero change in experience, and no suffix will be attached. Anyone else who chooses the same gamertag as you will automatically have a suffix added to distinguish them.

Do I have to pay for the new updates?

Your first gamertag change is free, regardless of how many changes you've made in the past. Subsequent changes are the same as before ($9.99 USD).

A lot more in the link.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Just gave it a try myself. Got this message so I think it's just because they changed to a new system we're all getting another free change because I've changed my GT before 100% and got it for free:

"Since this is your first gamertag change with the new system, we're giving you a freebie. But after that, you may have to pay for it."

And the # thing:

"Here's what your gamertag will look like
PhilSpencer#6451 - Xbox One console and Xbox apps
PhilSpencer6451 - Xbox games that don't support the new gamertag system* and all Xbox 360 experiences"

So, yep. Cool find, I had no idea they changed it.

They should help Sony to implement it this way if they are unable to do it themselves.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
They should help Sony to implement it this way if they are unable to do it themselves.
Sony's issues were different. Their problem is that their user system was apparently designed by people that had never used a db before.

Seemingly they have now transitioned to a sane system, which should allow this kind of thing.

OP
OP
Mack

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I though that gamertag change won't have a fee with the new system. Welp, Microsoft gotta make some money from everything.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
What does the suffix actually mean? If I make a common GT and get a suffix will I see the name+suffix or just the name and the suffix is in the background?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What does the suffix actually mean? If I make a common GT and get a suffix will I see the name+suffix or just the name and the suffix is in the background?
Curious also. Will my friends see the number? Or is it like hidden way more for back end and really shows when looking for people.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's a shame they reduced the character limit. I only want to change a space in my gamertag to a letter and it won't let me because it's over 12 characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I used the offer since I got my Gamertag when I was young and don't like it now, but I rather complain about the stupidity of still having to pay for namechanges than giving them props for it.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Curious also. Will my friends see the number? Or is it like hidden way more for back end and really shows when looking for people.

From the Xbox Wire post:

Profile.png

search-1.png

12 character limit though

The 4 digit suffix counts towards the 16 character limit unfortunately, hence why you only get 12.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use the Gamertag on a Xbox 360 game or even on older Xbox One games that don't support this new system.

Oct 27, 2017
From the Xbox Wire post:

The 4 digit suffix counts towards the 16 character limit unfortunately, hence why you only get 12.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to use the Gamertag on a Xbox 360 game or even on older Xbox One games that don't support this new system.

I never said there wasn't a reason why. The end result of it is that there's still a 12 character limit and I'd be "formasymphon" instead of the name I'd prefer to use.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I never said there wasn't a reason why. The end result of it is that there's still a 12 character limit and I'd be "formasymphon" instead of the name I'd prefer to use.

I misunderstood the new system. Thought you would get access to 16 characters, if your Gamertag is unique (because you don't need a suffix in that case), but a new Gamertag is 12 characters no matter what. That seems like an oversight to me.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I misunderstood the new system. Thought you would get access to 16 characters, if your Gamertag is unique (because you don't need a suffix in that case), but a new Gamertag is 12 characters no matter what. That seems like an oversight to me.
Probably because if you get a number behind it it becomes to long for the UI?

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
The new namechange really looks terrible in the Xbox app on PC.

It's literally displayed as Username4053 which defeats the whole purpose of this system.

Edit: Nevermind, this seems to be fixed!

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

You, take note.

www.playstation.com

Change ID

Change ID

Change the online ID associated with your account on PlayStation Network

• Change your current online ID to a new ID from your PlayStation®4 system or web browser.
  • Change your online ID as many times as you want. The change is free the first time. After that, the cost is $9.99 USD/CAD per change ($4.99 USD/CAD with PlayStation Plus subscription).

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a way to combat spam and excessive changes.
Spam? What's spam about changing your name lmao, and what's wrong with excessive changes
Honestly I don't mind it. Having people change names constantly is confusing. Make a good name in the first place.
I do mind paying for such a basic thing.
This type of mentality and corp shilling caused paid online on consoles in the first place "it's for our own good! We should've known better"

But nvm ignore the derail and enjoy your free name change

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because if you get a number behind it it becomes to long for the UI?

In the case of it not being unique, it should just say "not available" instead of not making 13, 14, 15 and 16 characters possible at all, no?

I've just tested some more Gamertags and it turns out that you can also get a suffix with 3 numbers. So, theoretically, a Gamertag with 13 characters should be possible, too, because 13 character Gamertag + suffix with 3 digits = 16 characters. Wouldn't go over the limit.

It's literally displayed as Username4053 which defeats the whole purpose of this system.

I assume this will be changed in an update?

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Cool, could finally change my Gamertag away from an embarassing nickname I made 10 years ago to a new embarassing nickname I'll regret in a couple years.

Really tho thanks for this, I was only considering buying a name change yesterday so this is really convenient.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I don't mind it. Having people change names constantly is confusing. Make a good name in the first place.

You do know XBL launched in 2002?
You dont think someone could have a change of heart/mind over the course of 16 years?

Hell someone could have been like 10 when they made their account.....at 26 chances of having the same mindset is slim as shit.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal

It's displayed like that in most games too. This change has zero support, it's awful, keep away from non-unique names with numbers people.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Very cool. I'd consider changing my name, but I like having an OG name with no hashtag. Idunno. I'd trade it for another OG tag next time they do a purge maybe.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
You, take note.

www.playstation.com

Change ID

Change ID

Change the online ID associated with your account on PlayStation Network

• Change your current online ID to a new ID from your PlayStation®4 system or web browser.
  • Change your online ID as many times as you want. The change is free the first time. After that, the cost is $9.99 USD/CAD per change ($4.99 USD/CAD with PlayStation Plus subscription).
Nah. I posted that before more info was known. Thought it was free name change forever.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You could just do like my stepbrother did when he got tired of a tag, and tell everyone to report his gamertag so that Microsoft forces the change

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
So rare that Nintendo is the only one where you can change how many times you want, with no risk of duplicate prohibition and free.