• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
40gUuDc.jpg

You can now buy a capture card for $15/£10 or even less., this blows my mind, I was watching this video and decided to take the plunge and I'm actually impressed.

I picked up one, being super wary - but at £11 it was worth a punt, I needed it for meetings with my Fuji camera and was interested to see how it performs and boy it's really good.

2kJt7qI.jpg

It's just amazing how streaming has bought the price of these cards down so much., I ended up using OBS to play Mario Odessa and it was very playable.

6FCKolu.jpg

Man, we've come so far.

PHnUVrq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Would be good enough to capture that battlefield 1 glitch on PS4 where it lowers the resolution to 90p at least

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
Who needs 8K when you can have 180p

Edit: in case anyone is actually confused the card streams at 1080p and it's the first hit on Amazon

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Given the price, I was expecting the 180p to not be a typo.

Nov 1, 2017
That's neat, I've always been interested in one but the price has always pushed me away. The thread is going to be filled with drive by jokes about 180p though lol.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
So, where I could buy this thing? Anyone knows?
probably wish.com

Amazon.com: GOODAN Audio Video Capture Cards - HDMI to USB 2.0 - High Definition 1080p 30fps - Record Directly to Computer for Gaming, Streaming, Teaching, Video Conference or Live Broadcasting: Computers & Accessories

Buy GOODAN Audio Video Capture Cards - HDMI to USB 2.0 - High Definition 1080p 30fps - Record Directly to Computer for Gaming, Streaming, Teaching, Video Conference or Live Broadcasting: Internal TV Tuner & Capture Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Nov 1, 2017
According to the video it's available at multiple retailers (eBay, Amazon, AliExpress). I can't find anyone selling it for as cheap as $15 though, most seem to hover around the $50 range. If you click the video there are some affiliate links available, or if you go to Amazon and just search for "Capture Card" it's somewhere on the first page.

Cess007

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
probably wish.com

Amazon.com: GOODAN Audio Video Capture Cards - HDMI to USB 2.0 - High Definition 1080p 30fps - Record Directly to Computer for Gaming, Streaming, Teaching, Video Conference or Live Broadcasting: Computers & Accessories

Buy GOODAN Audio Video Capture Cards - HDMI to USB 2.0 - High Definition 1080p 30fps - Record Directly to Computer for Gaming, Streaming, Teaching, Video Conference or Live Broadcasting: Internal TV Tuner & Capture Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Thanks for this. $30 doesn't sound that bad

GekigangerV

Oct 25, 2017
Don't these little thumb drives overheat easily?

That is what I have ready myself.

I bought one of these, or something similar to it , the other day off of ebay. It is supposed to arrive this weekend. This quarantine got me thinking about doing a thing on the Arkham games and I need it to record some stuff off the Arkham Knight that the PS4 blocks from recording itself. So hopefully recording in small bursts will get me what I need.

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
probably wish.com

This says 30fps at 1080p though. Which still isn't bad but its not the 1080p 60fps being claimed

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017

Vaskie

Oct 27, 2017

When you say you have played Mario Odyssey with it, do you mean you used it while streaming, or you put it on OBS and where playing with your PC monitor ?

I bought an Avermedia and i regret it a lot because it has a LOT of input lag. I was wanting to get into Speedrunning but unfortunately i would have to play on the TV while streaming on the PC.

Ideally i would like it if this one had such a low input lag that i could connect the switch to the capture card and then play on the OBS window

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
USB 2.0 capture cards are inherently trash, but a $15 price point makes a strong argument for some use cases.

I bought an Avermedia and i regret it a lot because it has a LOT of input lag. I was wanting to get into Speedrunning but unfortunately i would have to play on the TV while streaming on the PC.
It's advisable to play off the TV via a splitter or passthrough no matter what capture device you're using.

Though, if you *have* to play off the capture feed for some reason, avoid any capture device that is either USB 2.0 or has built-in hardware encoding. Those are the devices that tend to lag the most.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Actually the latency is quite low all things considered. But it is only 1080p30

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do these strip/bypass HDCP?

Not sure, don't have any devices to test with HDCP..

eBay Amazon or google, should be easy to find.

Link for the $15 one? My daughter has been asking for one and this is my price range

It's pretty cheap way to get into streaming.
According to the video it's available at multiple retailers (eBay, Amazon, AliExpress). I can't find anyone selling it for as cheap as $15 though, most seem to hover around the $50 range. If you click the video there are some affiliate links available, or if you go to Amazon and just search for "Capture Card" it's somewhere on the first page.

Yup

I am down to buy this once someone shares a link.

eBay Amazon or google, should be easy to find.

When you say you have played Mario Odyssey with it, do you mean you used it while streaming, or you put it on OBS and where playing with your PC monitor ?

Ideally i would like it if this one had such a low input lag that i could connect the switch to the capture card and then play on the OBS window

If you watch the video in the OP it goes into detail about latency.

I assume there's a decent amount of latency? I am bad at working with delays in OBS

Watch video in op to get an idea on how this device performs.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not into streaming but would like something for screenshots of older console games on PS2 and older hardware. I guess this could be a cheap way to do that.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I didn't enter this thread earlier today because I thought it was about a joke 180p device.

Neat though.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta