• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait until 1080p 60FPS is available at $15 or less on a USB stick. But for the most part, this news made me go up on the fence. I'm just hanging on there.
Exactly what I was thinking, 30fps are good for cameras but I'm more interested in consoles. I went on Ebay and looked and found this for $16!!!!

www.ebay.com

HDMI to USB3.0 Video Capture Card Video Capture Card 1080P Game Live Streaming | eBay

Based on high-speed USB 3.0 technology, you can capture a high-definition HDMI video signal from a signal channel. Connect to presentations without software, just connect to a laptop or tablet via HDMI to start sharing.

I feel like I'm getting scammed, but it's USB3.0 and can do 1080/60 ships from the US so here goes nothing.

Thanks again for bringing attention to this tech/pricing

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently they dont do 1080p60 and are actually USB2.0. I have a few on the way, but thats what others reported.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Since multiple people have said it worked, I tested a retail PS3 on the cheap USB 2.0 device, and it works fine over HDMI. Which means it is stripping HDCP (at least for that era). Super useful!

Eriol

Oct 27, 2017
Santiago, Chile
im more interested on the tripod OP is using, also i have fuji xt2 and im usy a dummy battery to connect to 2 usb ports to powerup

also, anyone with this, it shows as a webcam or as input video device? (like if it works with the windows 10 camera app)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So to capture from a console, I'd need some kind of HDMI splitter that can show the video output at the same time on 2 different screens - TV and this capture card to PC, otherwise I'd have to view and play off the capture stream on my PC, right?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the best deal in capture cards is a used Datapath VisionRGB E1S on eBay. Can be found for around $130 usually and captures up to 1080p/60FPS via its DVI input. It's also very good at capturing oddball refresh rates from retro consoles.

Heck, there's a used one on eBay for $81 right now, just need to buy a bracket for it, and there's a link to do so in the article below:

nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com

Proper Analog Retro Video Capture with the Datapath E1/E1s

Vintage computers and retro gaming

Last edited:

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I have bought a capture card from ACASIS worth 58 USD. On eBay, it costs 75 USD

www.ebay.com

TV PC PS4 Game Live Stream HDMI to Type-C 1080P HD Video Capture Card Box Drive | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for TV PC PS4 Game Live Stream HDMI to Type-C 1080P HD Video Capture Card Box Drive at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

It can capture up to 1080p/60fps. I have uploaded a test of it on Youtube, but I'm afraid I cannot link it here.

Edit: correcting after a few days, I converted the price initially using MXP, not PHP.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
im more interested on the tripod OP is using, also i have fuji xt2 and im usy a dummy battery to connect to 2 usb ports to powerup

also, anyone with this, it shows as a webcam or as input video device? (like if it works with the windows 10 camera app)

www.ebay.co.uk

Andoer Mini 23cm Tabletop Tripod Phone Camera Tripod 360° Ball Head For DV DSLR | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Andoer Mini 23cm Tabletop Tripod Phone Camera Tripod 360° Ball Head For DV DSLR at the best online prices at eBay! Free delivery for many products!

And yes, it will show up as a webcam in windows.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
So to capture from a console, I'd need some kind of HDMI splitter that can show the video output at the same time on 2 different screens - TV and this capture card to PC, otherwise I'd have to view and play off the capture stream on my PC, right?

Hmmmm I didn't think about this.... what's the lag like for anyone who has tried to play from the capture stream preview on PC? I'm planning to use OBS.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So people use this thing to campute game play from consoles and connect a camera as a Webcam?

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I bought one of these as well as an HDMI splitter to try and stream some Switch games but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so I can play my games not using OBS' preview mode.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I bought one of these as well as an HDMI splitter to try and stream some Switch games but I can't seem to figure out how to set it up so I can play my games not using OBS' preview mode.
HDMI cable should be hooked up to a Switch and go into the splitter, 1 HDMI cable on the other side should go from the splitter to the USB capture card and the other from the splitter to the TV/monitor, If you did that and added the device to sources in OBS you should have an image show up there and the same image on the TV and monitor.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
HDMI cable should be hooked up to a Switch and go into the splitter, 1 HDMI cable on the other side should go from the splitter to the USB capture card and the other from the splitter to the TV/monitor, If you did that and added the device to sources in OBS you should have an image show up there and the same image on the TV and monitor.
I did this, but it seems I can only pick one source at a time. So it's either the Switch to my tv/monitor or my Switch showing up in OBS.

I bought this switcher if that'll help.

Also, thanks for your reply.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I did this, but it seems I can only pick one source at a time. So it's either the Switch to my tv/monitor or my Switch showing up in OBS.

I bought this switcher if that'll help.

Also, thanks for your reply.
Thought this might be the issue. That's a switch not a splitter despite what it says. It only switches between displays or HDMI sources and cannot display to 2 different ones at once. return it and get this.

Amazon.com: HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out - Techole 4K Aluminum Ver1.4 HDCP, Powered HDMI Splitter Supports 3D 4K@30HZ Full HD1080P for Xbox PS4 PS3 Fire Stick Roku Blu-Ray Player Apple TV HDTV: Electronics

Amazon.com: HDMI Splitter 1 in 2 Out - Techole 4K Aluminum Ver1.4 HDCP, Powered HDMI Splitter Supports 3D 4K@30HZ Full HD1080P for Xbox PS4 PS3 Fire Stick Roku Blu-Ray Player Apple TV HDTV: Electronics

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this might be the issue. That's a switch not a splitter despite what it says. It only switches between displays or HDMI sources and cannot display to 2 different ones at once. return it and get this.

Ah, that makes much more sense. Bought.

Thanks a lot!

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I used to use a black magic 720p internal card which worked fantastically for ps3. Ps4 I used an elgato external 1080p 60 device. But issue was I took audio via optical into my pc soundcard. Which meant sound was faster than video feed for streaming and i'd have to faff with audio delays in obs to sync. I can only assume the same issue would be magnified on such a cheap card but it's fucking cool it exists.

I'm always tempted to buy a 4k internal card but know it would be a waste of money.

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Just to confirm, those USB "3.0" devices are just 2.0, and cap out at 1080p30.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Mine just arrived and ... it doesn't transfer audio as well ? In OBS is there a setting or do I have to plug a 3.5mm cable between switch and pc mic in ?

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Are these two the same thing?

www.ebay.com

1080P HD HDMI to USB 2.0 Video Capture Card Recorder Game/Video Live Streaming 671166561645 | eBay

Support maximum output resolution up to 1080P;. Support most acquisition software, such as VLC, OBS, Amcap, etc. HDMI Resolution: Max input can support 3840×2160@30Hz / 4K. Conforms to USB audio UAC specifications;.

Amazon.com: BlueAVS Audio Video Capture Cards HDMI to USB 1080p USB2.0 Record via DSLR Camcorder Action Cam

Buy BlueAVS Audio Video Capture Cards HDMI to USB 1080p USB2.0 Record via DSLR Camcorder Action Cam: Internal TV Tuner & Capture Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Also do these capture game footage or are they for using a DLSR as webcams?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Are these two the same thing?

www.ebay.com

1080P HD HDMI to USB 2.0 Video Capture Card Recorder Game/Video Live Streaming 671166561645 | eBay

Support maximum output resolution up to 1080P;. Support most acquisition software, such as VLC, OBS, Amcap, etc. HDMI Resolution: Max input can support 3840×2160@30Hz / 4K. Conforms to USB audio UAC specifications;.

Amazon.com: BlueAVS Audio Video Capture Cards HDMI to USB 1080p USB2.0 Record via DSLR Camcorder Action Cam

Buy BlueAVS Audio Video Capture Cards HDMI to USB 1080p USB2.0 Record via DSLR Camcorder Action Cam: Internal TV Tuner & Capture Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Also do these capture game footage or are they for using a DLSR as webcams?

That is it, and you can use it for both. It just takes an HDMI input, so you can take an HDMI from your DSLR to the capture card like you would from your switch to the capture card. It just captures whatever it is receiving.

*edit because I suck at spelling.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
That is it, and you can use it for both. It just takes an HDMI input, so you can take an HDMI from your DSLR to the capture card like you would from your switch to the capture card. It just captures whatever it is receiving.

*edit because I suck at spelling.
lol I can't believe they are the same for less than half the price

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been working through this thread and I'm intrigued enough to buy it and figure out what will work.

Is this one stop shopping? What would I need to do in order to be able to capture, say... footage of my friends and I playing something hooked up to my TV?

(EDIT: fuck it, bought. Time to capture some Sega Saturn)

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Had it for a couple weeks now and used it from some light streaming of PS2 games with an OSSC. Some thoughts.

- It does take whatever the OSSC outputs as some reviews said. However the reviews didn't really pay attention to how it deals with interlaced content with the OSSC. It will record interlaced output from an OSSC and bob deinterlaced output however it does not do a good job capturing bob deinterlacing. Hard for me to describe. Its like its not capturing any of the bobbing effect and instead captures non bobbing image that looks worse as if it only shows half the vertical resolution. I have a video of some gameplay if you want an idea what I mean.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

- This thing will get warm even if its plugged in without opening OBS or other software. It does not feel that warm but when it gets like that it stops recording sound from the source for me. Unplugging it and letting it cool off for a few minutes seems to work fine. I have some gameplay videos where it turned out that after an hour sound just stopped which is how I found out. I'd recommend keeping it unplugged outside when you use it and not using it for extended periods of time.

- Image quality is never as good as the source. Even at 1080p 30 it's a blurrier then the source image on a screen of the same resolution side by side.

All that said, it was only $15 for me and nothing is beating that for the price.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just to confirm, those USB "3.0" devices are just 2.0, and cap out at 1080p30.

Man I knew it was too good to be true, my contents were exactly like yours. I thought I needed the CD to get the driver but there were no drivers on the CD.
At first it wouldn't work, since something was using "camera device" off the bat (still cant figure it out). After multiple resets I got it to work. Now my sound doesn't sound clear, not quite sure if there's a way to fix it...
The source image is not as clear as the source AND the frame rate is indeed 30fps. It's a cool toy to have around I guess at $16 if I need to connect something in a pinch to see something.
Here's a quick test, notice the sound sounding "off" and frame rate. https://streamable.com/yc9q36

Last edited:

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Had it for a couple weeks now and used it from some light streaming of PS2 games with an OSSC. Some thoughts.

- It does take whatever the OSSC outputs as some reviews said. However the reviews didn't really pay attention to how it deals with interlaced content with the OSSC. It will record interlaced output from an OSSC and bob deinterlaced output however it does not do a good job capturing bob deinterlacing. Hard for me to describe. Its like its not capturing any of the bobbing effect and instead captures non bobbing image that looks worse as if it only shows half the vertical resolution. I have a video of some gameplay if you want an idea what I mean.

It looks like you're recording at 30 FPS (the EposVox video said it should be able to do 720p60 or 1080p30) which means that it's only capturing half the fields of an interlaced signal, halving the resolution.

- This thing will get warm even if its plugged in without opening OBS or other software. It does not feel that warm but when it gets like that it stops recording sound from the source for me. Unplugging it and letting it cool off for a few minutes seems to work fine. I have some gameplay videos where it turned out that after an hour sound just stopped which is how I found out. I'd recommend keeping it unplugged outside when you use it and not using it for extended periods of time.

- Image quality is never as good as the source. Even at 1080p 30 it's a blurrier then the source image on a screen of the same resolution side by side.

All that said, it was only $15 for me and nothing is beating that for the price.
I wonder if adding a small heatsink might help any? Search Amazon/eBay for "chip heatsink" to find some options. Many seem to include thermal pads/adhesive tape pre-applied.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It looks like you're recording at 30 FPS (the EposVox video said it should be able to do 720p60 or 1080p30) which means that it's only capturing half the fields of an interlaced signal, halving the resolution.

I wonder if adding a small heatsink might help any? Search Amazon/eBay for "chip heatsink" to find some options. Many seem to include thermal pads/adhesive tape pre-applied.
Oh I know I was at 30. I actually did try 60 in OBS thinking the same thing. It does show the bobbing a little but it's not the same as it actually appears normally outputted to a montior. At 60 it's as if it's still only recording the bobbing a quarter as fast as it shows normally. I'll see if I can record that later to show what I mean.

Regular interlaced stuff also seems off. It's better but it seems the capture card may do some of its own scaling/deinterlacing since I couldn't seem to get an interlaced video output. I've seen videos about other OSSC compatible capture devices having that kind of behavior before.

Edit: Here are short recordings showing how its shows bob deinterlacing when manually set to 60 fps. It shows but still looks a lot worse then it normally shows. I'd rather record 30 fps that doesn't show it like this.

www.youtube.com

Cheap Generic Capture Card. OSSC Bob Deinterlacing Example

OSSC Bob Deinterlacing Example Captured OSSC's 480p bob deinterlaced output at 60 fps. This is the best I could get the device to capture it.

And one video shoeing how it shows regular 480i. Deinterlace options in OBS have no effect leading me to believe the card already scales and deinterlaces it.

www.youtube.com

Cheap Generic Capture Card OSSC 480i Passthrough Example

Quick example of how a regular 480i video looks with these cheap capture card from ebay.

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Got one of these, captured some footage from my SNES Classic via OBS...shocked that this thing just works. Now to figure out getting audio, and to maybe reduce input lag?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Got one of these, captured some footage from my SNES Classic via OBS...shocked that this thing just works. Now to figure out getting audio, and to maybe reduce input lag?
Audio took me a while to, but I had to add a separate "Audio Capture" device in OBS and selected the USB device as the source. So I had two sources one "Video Capture" devices and one "Audio Capture Device". Input lag is probably a no-go. I just got a splitter so I could play something with direct feed to a tv/monitor and then have another feed going to OBS.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I remember a while back, when I was looking into becoming an LPer on youtube, and looking at all the offers in the market. There was one cheap that was very shit. It's impressive looking at this.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know I was at 30. I actually did try 60 in OBS thinking the same thing. It does show the bobbing a little but it's not the same as it actually appears normally outputted to a montior. At 60 it's as if it's still only recording the bobbing a quarter as fast as it shows normally. I'll see if I can record that later to show what I mean.

Regular interlaced stuff also seems off. It's better but it seems the capture card may do some of its own scaling/deinterlacing since I couldn't seem to get an interlaced video output. I've seen videos about other OSSC compatible capture devices having that kind of behavior before.

Edit: Here are short recordings showing how its shows bob deinterlacing when manually set to 60 fps. It shows but still looks a lot worse then it normally shows. I'd rather record 30 fps that doesn't show it like this.

www.youtube.com

Cheap Generic Capture Card. OSSC Bob Deinterlacing Example

OSSC Bob Deinterlacing Example Captured OSSC's 480p bob deinterlaced output at 60 fps. This is the best I could get the device to capture it.

And one video shoeing how it shows regular 480i. Deinterlace options in OBS have no effect leading me to believe the card already scales and deinterlaces it.

www.youtube.com

Cheap Generic Capture Card OSSC 480i Passthrough Example

Quick example of how a regular 480i video looks with these cheap capture card from ebay.
Oh, I didn't get notified of the new captures because that was an edit.
Something weird is definitely going on. Your videos are still 30 FPS for one thing - make sure that OBS is configured to capture 60 FPS in the video settings.
But the bob deinterlacing is updating on a 5:7 cadence rather than alternating every frame (60 FPS) or staying locked on one field (30 FPS). If you were still capturing 30, rather than capturing at 60 and uploading at 30, it could simply be a genlock issue that causes it to flip the fields on that cadence - and capturing 60 is likely to fix it.
Without access to the setup itself, or already knowing what could cause that, I'm not sure I can be of much help though.

Last edited:

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
Audio took me a while to, but I had to add a separate "Audio Capture" device in OBS and selected the USB device as the source. So I had two sources one "Video Capture" devices and one "Audio Capture Device". Input lag is probably a no-go. I just got a splitter so I could play something with direct feed to a tv/monitor and then have another feed going to OBS.

Thanks for the audio tip man ! I was a bit bummed that I couldn't record audio off from the usb itself and thought I needed a 3.5mm cable between switch and pc mic now I see it is not the issue.

And also for others like me who wondered how would the quality be , if directly streamed from switch via this cheap devices ,

here is mario kart 8 playing demos unattended.

And an upload to youtube ,a gameplay that is also more lag affected normally (not that I am great at it normally , I usually can't pass the first boss either , never made it to 3rd one in any try)

Enter the Gungeon

Last edited:

Borman

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes you just need to select a custom audio source in OBS under the video capture thing where you select the device. Shouldnt have to add a second audio capture device.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Oops didn't realize I didn't have this thread bookmarked. Made a few posts in this loosely related thread, mainly that there seems to be a similar box but with passthrough (instead of needing a separate HDMI splitter) for about $20:

www.ebay.com

Aluminum Front Caster Block Steering Blocks Rear Stub Axle for 1/10 Traxxas 2WD | eBay

👍💯Easy Installation: RC 1/10 front caster steering blocks kit can be easily upgraded and replaced #3632 Caster blocks, #3736 Steering blocks, #3752 Stub axle carriers (rear). 👍💯Worked Great: Include necessary parts required for installation, multi-hole design, adjustable tie rod angle can be...
(I think there's also a variant with minijack audio if you need that)

Anyway I got that one and passthrough seems fine with my Switch, but I haven't done tests or anything. Capture input on my Mac mini basically feels like a really laggy TV. OBS seems slightly better than Quicktime Player for playing (maybe cause vsync off option?), although my ghetto audio testing appears to indicate about 100-150ms lag either way. From that video in the first post it sounds like it's capable of less but not sure what other options there are on the Mac.
I have bought a capture card from ACASIS worth 58 USD. On eBay, it costs 75 USD

www.ebay.com

TV PC PS4 Game Live Stream HDMI to Type-C 1080P HD Video Capture Card Box Drive | eBay

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for TV PC PS4 Game Live Stream HDMI to Type-C 1080P HD Video Capture Card Box Drive at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

It can capture up to 1080p/60fps. I have uploaded a test of it on Youtube, but I'm afraid I cannot link it here.

Edit: correcting after a few days, I converted the price initially using MXP, not PHP.
How's the lag on that one?

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Oops didn't realize I didn't have this thread bookmarked. Made a few posts in this loosely related thread, mainly that there seems to be a similar box but with passthrough (instead of needing a separate HDMI splitter) for about $20:

www.ebay.com

Aluminum Front Caster Block Steering Blocks Rear Stub Axle for 1/10 Traxxas 2WD | eBay

👍💯Easy Installation: RC 1/10 front caster steering blocks kit can be easily upgraded and replaced #3632 Caster blocks, #3736 Steering blocks, #3752 Stub axle carriers (rear). 👍💯Worked Great: Include necessary parts required for installation, multi-hole design, adjustable tie rod angle can be...
(I think there's also a variant with minijack audio if you need that)

Anyway I got that one and passthrough seems fine with my Switch, but I haven't done tests or anything. Capture input on my Mac mini basically feels like a really laggy TV. OBS seems slightly better than Quicktime Player for playing (maybe cause vsync off option?), although my ghetto audio testing appears to indicate about 100-150ms lag either way. From that video in the first post it sounds like it's capable of less but not sure what other options there are on the Mac.

How's the lag on that one?

It has a separate slot for HDMI out, so it is "virtually" lagless on my TV (Played casual Smash, tested DBFZ and Super Mario Bros). The output on the PC has some noticeable lag, but not that important when streaming.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It has a separate slot for HDMI out, so it is "virtually" lagless on my TV (Played casual Smash, tested DBFZ and Super Mario Bros). The output on the PC has some noticeable lag, but not that important when streaming.

Is this one actually 60fps for the output opposed to the 30of the OP's? I know it says it is, but there was the one earlier in the thread that stated it was 60 but lied.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Is this one actually 60fps for the output opposed to the 30of the OP's? I know it says it is, but there was the one earlier in the thread that stated it was 60 but lied.
Looking at the price I'd hope it's legit USB 3.0 w/1080p60. Seems to be a clear price difference between the USB 2.0 and 3.0 stuff if you look around for others, generally like ~$20 vs ~$70.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017

Yes, it can output 60fps but with a few framedrops/stutter. I have a video up on Youtube for evidence however I'm not sure if I can link it here. (You can search it using my name+product brand lol)