• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I have a Cam Link 4K (and wow the price of those shot up dramatically recently...) but I think I will get one of these, too. It'll be a great way to stream both my face and my Switch to my friends.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That seems like a ridiculously good deal for the quality offered. Shows up as the first option for "usb capture card" on Amazon for me.
I needed something cheap to use with a camera a while back and the CamLink was the best option I could find at the time - which costs significantly more than this. I wish it had been available then.

It should be noted that while it accepts a 1080p60 input - and apparently does support HDCP - it can only record 1080p30 or 720p60 according to that EposVox video.

Oct 25, 2017

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Oh look. You can get cheap rca to hdmi converters, too. Can these be laggy?
I bought one recently and it actually isn't bad, I didn't think it was really all that laggy, but maybe I'm less precise.
The biggest issue is that it auto widened everything, so unless your game has a 16:9 mode, things will be wide (it autocrops the black borders for 16:9 though, crazily enough)

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I bought one recently and it actually isn't bad, I didn't think it was really all that laggy, but maybe I'm less precise.
The biggest issue is that it auto widened everything, so unless your game has a 16:9 mode, things will be wide (it autocrops the black borders for 16:9 though, crazily enough)

Thanks for input. Looks like id have to spend more to get the right features.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
is there a good cheap one that does up to 60 fps ?
There's a USB3.0 card which claims to support 1080p60 on Amazon - and it was half the price of this one; but I have no idea what the quality is like. EposVox made a small mention of it in his video.

That should be easy to resolve in OBS by adding a scaling/aspect ratio filter to your source - though the automatic cropping may affect the results.

Luchadorable

Jan 14, 2018
Does anyone have a UK link? There's a few that look similar on amazon, but have very slight differences, yet the delivery estimate (from different sellers) is always July 23rd - August 1st.
Are there any that ship earlier?

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
I went ahead and ordered one, the price for a decent capture card has been holding me back from trying to do direct captures for Youtube or streaming, but at $30 it's worth the gamble.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
is there a good cheap one that does up to 60 fps ?
There's a USB3.0 card which claims to support 1080p60 on Amazon - and it was half the price of this one; but I have no idea what the quality is like. EposVox made a small mention of it in his video.

That should be easy to resolve in OBS by adding a scaling/aspect ratio filter to your source - though the automatic cropping may affect the results.

someone on twitter confirmed the USB3.0 one is fake, not actually 3.0, sadly

Since I'm in this thread, and I don't care about capturing 60fps at 1080p anyway, does anyone have recommendation for HDMI splitters? seems like it may be cheaper to get a splitter and one of these instead of a device with loopback.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bought one for 9€ (it was basically 14€ but ebay gave a 5€ coupon code) on Saturday and it arrived today. And yeah ... it kinda works.
The quality isn't enough if you plan to become a full-time streamer because the details are kinda fuzzy but if you want to record some Switch gameplay or stream for a small audience or friends: guess that thing does its job pretty well. Especially if you consider that "high quality" capture cards start at around 200€ right now.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Bought one for 9€ (it was basically 14€ but ebay gave a 5€ coupon code) on Saturday and it arrived today. And yeah ... it kinda works.
The quality isn't enough if you plan to become a full-time streamer because the details are kinda fuzzy but if you want to record some Switch gameplay or stream for a small audience or friends: guess that thing does its job pretty well. Especially if you consider that "high quality" capture cards start at around 200€ right now.
Even if the quality is not perfect, it seems like a great way for someone to start out. Don't forget that it's going to be compressed to a <7mbps video if you're streaming anyway.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Got one I ordered for $15 yesterday. Just did some brief testing and it works surprisingly well. A steal for that price. Gonna use it to share clips and screen shots with friends.

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is coming today for my daughter. Any recommendations for free recording /editing software For Windows? If she gets into it I'll happy buy some good software but for now just some free stuff would be great to see if she likes it

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
OBS will do you well to record. Cant say for editing though.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
So this just lets you see a 1080p 30 fps video from your console to your PC - no recording software at all?

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I got mine, it works very well. I don't have much to compare it to besides my Cam Link 4K, so I can't say much. It does have very little lag, though, still definitely noticeable, but games are pretty playable if you play through the preview window.

It's also solidly built. It's made out of metal. I feel like I could haphazardly throw it in a bag, or even drop it, and it'll be just fine.

meh I have issues with OBS where the video isn't recognized by my editing software unless I run it through handbrake...

might be a issue with my editing software lol
What video editing software do you use? Some editing software only supports a limited number of formats, and it would be helpful to know what formats your software supports and if you can download plugins, etc. to support more formats.

Or you could maybe try playing with OBS's encoding settings, to encode to a format your editing software will accept?

I'm hardly an expert with this kind of stuff, though.

Borman

Digital Games Curator at The Strong Museum
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, certain encoder settings aren't liked by Premiere. Choose a different one.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I got mine, it works very well. I don't have much to compare it to besides my Cam Link 4K, so I can't say much. It does have very little lag, though, still definitely noticeable, but games are pretty playable if you play through the preview window.

It's also solidly built. It's made out of metal. I feel like I could haphazardly throw it in a bag, or even drop it, and it'll be just fine.

What video editing software do you use? Some editing software only supports a limited number of formats, and it would be helpful to know what formats your software supports and if you can download plugins, etc. to support more formats.

Or you could maybe try playing with OBS's encoding settings, to encode to a format your editing software will accept?

I'm hardly an expert with this kind of stuff, though.

I tried editing settings for OBS but it doesn't help

It's likely my program which is Sony Vegas Pro 8 lmao

I also have a unusual issue with rendering videos - where if the video output goes beyond 2 GB it becomes unplayable/unviewable

Hoping for a Magix Vegas bundle...or unless I can find another video editing software but not sure what is a good one

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
This actually sounds great, I have been thinking about using my camcorder instead of my laptops integrated webcam, but using elgatohd there is a big delay.

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
meh I have issues with OBS where the video isn't recognized by my editing software unless I run it through handbrake...

might be a issue with my editing software lol
In OBS, there's an option to remux recordings to MP4 after you record to MKV. After doing that, I have no issues bringing the recording into editing software. It only takes a few seconds for the short videos I've recorded.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I tried editing settings for OBS but it doesn't help

It's likely my program which is Sony Vegas Pro 8 lmao

I also have a unusual issue with rendering videos - where if the video output goes beyond 2 GB it becomes unplayable/unviewable

Hoping for a Magix Vegas bundle...or unless I can find another video editing software but not sure what is a good one
I heard DaVinci Resolve is good. Have you tried that?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
40gUuDc.jpg

You can now buy a capture card for $15/£10 or even less., this blows my mind, I was watching this video and decided to take the plunge and I'm actually impressed.

I picked up one, being super wary - but at £11 it was worth a punt, I needed it for meetings with my Fuji camera and was interested to see how it performs and boy it's really good.

2kJt7qI.jpg

It's just amazing how streaming has bought the price of these cards down so much., I ended up using OBS to play Mario Odessa and it was very playable.

6FCKolu.jpg

Man, we've come so far.

PHnUVrq.jpg

huh that might be a much better idea than waiting for fuji to support the xt30 as a webcam

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Neato. I wanted to record from PS3 but not enough to actual spend real money on the task. At £10-15 this is pretty amazing. I need to research the recording and what not, but this seems like a nobrainer. :)

Catalin Nitu

Nov 7, 2018
It will likely not work with PS3. PS3 has HDCP DRM protection on the HDMI output. You can only capture via HDMI if your capture card can bypass HDCP protection or if you have an HDMI splitter that strips the protection off.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
huh that might be a much better idea than waiting for fuji to support the xt30 as a webcam

I have the X-T30 as well and this is the best way to use it as webcam on the cheap for me, works really well!

gPvYTpd.jpg

The microphone jack works in webcam mode, However once you add a micro hdmi and external mic, it's almost impossible to fit a USB-C cable to charge it at the same time. I need to find a very thing micro hdmi cable, the one from Amazon is too thick. Other than that it's a really good video solutions

Og naje syre to flip out the LCD and do this:

The Setup Menus ([POWER MANAGEMENT])

A website for FUJIFILM digital camera manuals.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
For someone who has never used capture hardware like this... what program do you have to use the see the image on your computer screen?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'll wait until 1080p 60FPS is available at $15 or less on a USB stick. But for the most part, this news made me go up on the fence. I'm just hanging on there.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For someone who has never used capture hardware like this... what program do you have to use the see the image on your computer screen?

Open Broadcaster Software | OBS

OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Stream to Twitch, YouTube and many other providers or record your own videos with high quality H264 / AAC encoding.

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the thread OP, I just bought one of these on Amazon. £11 seems like a steal for what it does.

I always wanted to record video game footage for YT video ideas but the Hauppauge I had was such a pain in the ass to setup so I never bothered. Hopefully this makes things a lot easier.