• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

One trilogy to rule them all:

• Back to the Future

Votes: 200 14.6%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 350 25.5%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 68 5.0%
  • Matrix

Votes: 39 2.8%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 659 48.1%
  • Jurassic Park

Votes: 22 1.6%
  • Die Hard

Votes: 32 2.3%

• Total voters

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Back to the Future and Die Hard are the only ones without a "bad" entry, imho. Star Wars comes close but those damn Ewoks...

Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about the preservation of only one trilogy for all time, it has to be TLotR. Perfectly-made trilogy.

If we're talking about my personal favorite (and I can never watch the others again), it would undoubtedly be BttF. I was OBSESSED with those movies as a kid, and will continue to rewatch them well into my nursing home years.

But, I actually love all of the trilogies posted.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones. LotR is obviously better technically, but the Indy movies I can watch endlessly and still be entertained.

Oct 26, 2017
Of the options selected, I'd pick Lord of the Rings.

However.

IMO this deserves to be on the list and it's sad that it goes so overlooked.

LotR kicks all kinds of ass, and so does BttF IMO, but I think the modern day Apes trilogy deserves recognition for how consistently great it is.

5f88beba2ee944a35be4bb70db513301

Here, here.

My real answer is that I reject all these choices and I pick the Planet of the Apes trilogy. More specifically: "The Caeser Trilogy", with "Rise of" "Dawn of" and "War for". I earnestly consider it to be a contender for all time best film trilogy.

MHHSOl6.jpg

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
I picked LOTR since by far it works best as a trilogy. However, my favorite film from all the ones included is Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Star Wars easily, not even because of the movies but because if you take out the OT it would take out the entire extended universe with it. Ya'll ain't taking KOTOR from me.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If we look purely at the trilogies then LOTR takes it.

But if I consider all the other things that spawned from the trilogy (books, comics, games, spinoffs) then Star Wars takes the cake.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
It's close between OG Star Wars and BttF, but if I were to watch either one of them right now, it would be Back to the Future.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
My real answer is that I reject all these choices and I pick the Planet of the Apes trilogy. More specifically: "The Caeser Trilogy", with "Rise of" "Dawn of" and "War for". I earnestly consider it to be a contender for all time best film trilogy.

MHHSOl6.jpg

My homie.

I recently rewatched all of them in 4k and was tremendously impressed by how excellent they are. Thematically consistent, tremendous visual effects, and genuinely affecting character work across the board.

I think it's one of the most underrated film trilogies of all time, and one of the very few in which the quality doesn't dip, IMO.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Voted for Star Wars since Godfather was not an option.

Jurassic Park and The Matrix shouldn't even be options here considering the quality of the sequels. There are many stronger trilogies out there: Godfather, Toy Story, Bourne, Apes, Alien, Mad Max, Living Dead, Evil Dead, Before, Dollar.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
BttF. I liked the first Matrix more than BttF but if you need to take into account the whole trilogy then BttF.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Btt, I think I can quote almost every line in each movie. Bttf3 doesn't get the credit it deserves it's awesome!

i own the trilology of lotr saw all three at the theater and I can't even remember most of the plot except for the lame long ending in the third.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back to the Future. The first one is the only perfect movie I can think of and the second has the best cliffhanger ending in film history. Just really stellar filmmaking.

Lord of the Rings is definitely a quality trilogy, but it's not really my cup of tea even though I've enjoyed the films.

Never cared for Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Jurassic Park.

The Matrix is great, the sequels are not.

Die Hard is good but they're pretty basic action movies when it comes down to it. I can think of plenty of action movies that are just as good, whereas Back to the Future and Lord of the Rings are the kings of their respective genres and have had a massive impact on them.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Of the options selected, I'd pick Lord of the Rings.

However.

Here, here.

MHHSOl6.jpg
That is a stellar shot.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Can't choose the matrix due to the last film. Damn you op. Lotr and Star Wars is so close decision wise.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's super close between Indy and Star Wars for me. I gave it to Indy. It's got an all-time classic (Raiders), a solid and darker second film (Doom, which tends to get wrongly overlooked) and one of the most fun you'll have watching a movie with Crusade.

SW is close, but for me doesn't reach the heights of Indy and RotJ is the clear relatively weaker film.

BttF only has one classic (the first). The second one is fun but is a huge step down as a film. And I remember the third one just not having that much going on (though it's due a re-watch).

Jurassic Park just has one worth watching and it's obviously the first. Lost World has some cool scenes, but nah. The third was ass.

LotR also has one all-time classic in Fellowship, but Two Towers and especially RotK feel off to me. Really incoherent.

Die Hard again has one all-time great film (the first) and one that's a tonne of fun (Vengeance), but the second one is just okay.

Matrix 1 is cool, but other 2 suck so that really shouldn't even be on the list.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Toss-up between Star Wars and TLOTR.

Chose Star Wars even though overall the LOTR trilogy might be stronger . I'd still have the LOTR-books, and Star Wars means a lot to me. So...

(This is also assuming I still can have JP1)

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
From that list, Star Wars. But considering many of them have more than three films I'm going with Superman, Superman II and Superman III. Can't believe they're not there. Superman IV isn't even that bad.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, is the premise that all those other movies don't exist? Or just the first one exists and the trilogy is gone?

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
This is very easy for me - LOTR. The first Matrix is one of my favorite movies, but the two sequels are very weak in comparison. As for the rest; don't give a shit about Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Die Hard, Jurassic Park is OK and BTTF 1 and 2 are great movies, but the third one was so bad it kinda soured me on the whole trilogy.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Unaltered original SW trilogy for me, though I acknowledge that is in part nostalgia talking. Probably LOTR after that.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
It was close between Back to the Future and Indiana Jones for me. What helped is I have watched both trilogies a lot in the past year as my son got into them. It came down to if he came up to me now and said "Lets watch BttF or Indy" I would probably pick Indy for fun factor, although I probably watched BttF 1 more than any Indy movie as a youngster. Anyway, Indy.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
So difficult. I love the first and third of Indy, die hard and LOTR more than I love the back to the future trilogy but I think that series is overall more consistent so I chose that one.

Oct 25, 2017
1 good Back to the Future movie
2 good Indian Jones movies
1 good Matrix movie
1 good Jurassic Park movie
1 good Die Hard movies

It really comes down to Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings - while there are several movies from the above list I would personally take over both these trilogies, there really are only two contenders for best trilogy. And Lord of the Rings is the clear winner. LOTR are individually better movies, and work much, much better as a cohesive three part story (much of that having to do with the established source material they were drawing from and the fact they shot all three movies together); and there is no "weak link" like with SW and Return of the Jedi. LOTR also has better characters, acting, music (take the "L" Mr.Williams), special effects...everything honestly.