• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

One trilogy to rule them all:

• Back to the Future

Votes: 200 14.6%
  • Star Wars

Votes: 350 25.5%
  • Indiana Jones

Votes: 68 5.0%
  • Matrix

Votes: 39 2.8%
  • Lord of the Rings

Votes: 659 48.1%
  • Jurassic Park

Votes: 22 1.6%
  • Die Hard

Votes: 32 2.3%

• Total voters

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Indiana Jones is the only one where I've seen all three, and they're great, so they get the prize.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Back to the Future with LotR a close second. BttF is such a great set of movies.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Tough choice between SW and LotR.
Overall LotR are possibly better movies (as a package, at least). I personally care about Star Wars way more, though. So I picked SW.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Lotr in a tier of itself

Then it's probably matrix or star wars -- less for the movies themselves but moreso their influence.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Raiders is my single favorite film out of all of them, though Back to the Future, Empire, Die Hard, and Jurassic Park are all up there.

But—Star Wars is interesting in that I feel it's the only one that built on itself somewhat over the course of the trilogy, rather than sort of huffing the fumes of an initial great film to diminishing returns. So I'm picking it for that reason.

(That's not exactly how I feel about LoTR, though I do feel each entry got worse over the series, and I just plain don't care about it as much as some of the others. I do think the fact that it was the only one that was a complete story from the beginning rather than only in response to an initial success helps it here.)

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
Of those in the poll? Back to the Future.
Of those not in the poll but should be? Mad Max or Police Story.

Oct 27, 2017
Lord of the Rings is the best of those, but if I had to keep only one film trilogy it would be Back to the Future. The Lord of the Rings will still exist o\in book form, so it's not lost, but Back to the Future is film only.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm one of the few that said The Matrix. Don't get me wrong, LOTR is amazing and I love Star Wars as well but The Matrix just means much more to me.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
LOTR. It just doesn't really have many lows.

Matrix as a stand alone film is perfection and I watch the sequels around once a year but they are flawed. The first film could easily of lived on its own with us knowing he was the one and the end.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lord of the Rings (extended editions). It's the perfect trilogy.

After that, I would pick Back to the Future and then Star Wars.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
I voted for Lord of the Rings...but really, it isn't a trilogy. Not the book anyways. It was meant to be one volume composed of six books. The whole "Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, Return of the King" thing was because the publisher back in the mid 50s didn't want to put out a thousand page plus book.

I've never gone back to reading it any way but the single volume editions (picked up a nice one with a slipcase and cloth bookmark for the 50th Anniversary).

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
IMO this deserves to be on the list and it's sad that it goes so overlooked.

LotR kicks all kinds of ass, and so does BttF IMO, but I think the modern day Apes trilogy deserves recognition for how consistently great it is.

5f88beba2ee944a35be4bb70db513301

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not that fussed about these films. Wouldn't go out of my way to watch them. I have seen them all but don't have any nostalgia or nerd love for them. If I had to pick I'll go Back to the Future. Shenanigans in time are pretty fun.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
IMO this deserves to be on the list and it's sad that it goes so overlooked.

LotR kicks all kinds of ass, and so does BttF IMO, but I think the modern day Apes trilogy deserves recognition for how consistently great it is.

5f88beba2ee944a35be4bb70db513301
Not what I would choose, but it absolutely deserve to be mentioned. It seems very underrated despite being one of the best sci-fi/fantasy/action trilogies.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
IJ represent! As a history and geography nerd that trilogy is pure amazing. Raiders is the best movie of any of the movies in any of the trilogies listed. And though I know the OP probably was just meaning the first three movies but I actually enjoy the fourth too. Second would be Star Wars (I'm assuming the OT as it's the better of the two trilogies). I was born in 1971 and SW and IJ were my world (well, that and Dungeons and Dragons and my C=64). Saw all six films in the theater (though SW was the 1978 re-release).

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Voted for Star Wars even though "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" is the only movie in this poll I'd go to bat for as the best movie ever made. It's "Raiders" but funnier. It's perfect.

Star Wars' OT is more consistent than Indy's.

Never noticed how he gets angrier with each poster lol.

He has a pretty good reason, all things considered.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
BTTF.

We still have the LOTR books and don't really care for the others enough.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
I love BTTF 1 & 2. 3 is pretty flawed.
I'm not in love with SW, but I enjoy all three.
Indy 1 is great... The others not so much.
Matrix 1 is amazing. 2 & 3 have aged well, all things considered.
LOTR are all solid, but it's damn hard to give them my time considering their length.
JP1 is the best... JP2 is a disaster... And JP3 knows exactly what it is and ends up being entertaining.
Die Hard 1 & 3 are masterpieces. 2 has sequelitis, but damn I love it.

Gotta go with Die Hard.
But the 4th & 5th don't exist.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I gotta go with Lord of the Rings. It's the only trilogy on the list with no weak link.

No one cares about Jurassic Park? You people sicken me.

I mean everyone cares about the first one. They just don't care about all the crap that came after that.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
LotR. They took such a risk filming all three back to back, but man the consistency that afforded is replicated so rarely (if at all) elsewhere.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
Lotr to me, even growing up with Star Wars and all the other great trilogies, Lotr is on another level IMO

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Captain America trilogy for me. Though of those listed LotR is my favorite. Star Wars will always have a special place in my life, but I just want to watch the theatrical versions again.