• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Since PC isn't allowed, I'd say PS3. I still think it has the biggest and widest library of games I'm interested in on just one console. Lots of multiplats, lots of exclusives (they would be under these conditions), and plenty of variety.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The PS2 has 4000 games. It doesn't even matter if 2000 of them are bad no one would ever get through enough of them to reach the really bad stuff. There's a reason it beats every other console forever.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going PS4. PS2 was the GOAT but PS4 has the newest iterations of my favorite franchises from that era so I'd be okay getting those games plus the ones that debuted on PS4.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
PC is my first choice but that's not allowed.

If future games are included then I'd actually place a bet on the PS5 or possibly the Series X.

If not then PS4.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
What about collections like the Sega Genesis collections we have seen on things like PS3, Switch, etc...

Do we get Virtual Console like on the Wii or Switch?

If so I would go Switch because I would get a lot of the best 2600, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo Geo, etc... games plus a lot of Arcade ports along with a Mario collection that includes Galaxy, Mario 64, Sunshine, etc...

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
what about systems where a big chunk of the library is from different consoles?

like, the Switch's library is like 40% Wii U games as far as the notable first party games go. it also has some remasters and ports from Wii and GC and the Switch itself has no form of BC.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Every other platform and games ever released will be erased from existence. And no, there is no way to release or emulate or play using BC in whatever you choose a working version of a game ever released in another system, ie. you will never be able to play Super Mario 64 in the PS4, or some version of God of War 2018 in the Dreamcast.

I'd pick the SNES. That's a system with an amazing library that covers I'd say every genre, with a decent graphical power and if I want some multiplayer action, there's a lot of couch coop games to play.

What about you? what system would you choose? For instance, can you choose let's say the PS2 and erase Super Mario 64? TLoU? Halo?

EDIT: let's make the decision a little bit harder: you can't choose PC.
EDIT 2: no BC allowed!
Say if I chose PS2 as my answer, would that also have a chain reaction of erasing series that debuted from previous consoles completely from the PS2 library also? Ex. FFX through FFXII wouldn't exist in this scenario because the first Final Fantasy game doesn't exist now.

OP
OP
danlher

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Say if I chose PS2 as my answer, would that also have a chain reaction of erasing series that debuted from previous consoles completely from the PS2 library also? Ex. FFX through FFXII wouldn't exist in this scenario because the first Final Fantasy game doesn't exist now.

No chain effect.

If you go with the N64 you can still play Ocarina of Time.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I want to say SNES, but when I thought about it further, I realize that I rarely ever play 16-bit games anymore, so I'm not sure if I'd *only* want those again. It's certainly my favorite generation for more reasons than just the consoles though. Tough call. I can't choose. LOL

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Probably PS4 or Xbox One since they got so many gen 7 games natively released. And also later systems have access to indie games which covers a lot of ground.

Though honestly I'd take PC even without emulation or workarounds. Heck, I'd take PC from like 1995-2004 if you said the lifespan is cheating. Black Isle/Bioware/Interplay RPGs alone would keep me busy for years. As would Diablo, classic FPS, RTS, etc etc.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who would actually do this is an extremely selfish person.
Yeah, this is my first thought.

Second thought: anyone who would actually do this is an extremely... let's say "short-sighted" person.
Anyone would be better off not having every single game for a system rather than just having the games they like for each platform that they own. Kinda like how they likely have it now.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What's the ruling on official emulation, as in Virtual Console on Wii, and the NES and SNES Online Aps on Switch, or Xbox backwards compatible games from earlier systems you can still download on Xbox One/ Series online stores? I would say as official releases they would be part of those system's library.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Honestly if PC and BC is not allowed then I choose PS4, ps2 comes close but we've come a long way with quality of life and game design and much of the library would be rough to go through.

If official BC is allowed then Xbox Series X, you get series x games for the next 7 to 10 years plus all of Xbox one plus 100s of Xbox 360 plus tens of Xbox games. I'd also consider ps5 but I'd ultimately decide on Xbox because of Bethesda.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
It would be my duty to choose the system that has the most games, or the most culturally relevant games. So I suppose it'd be the PS2 by default.

Although I may have taken your question more literally than intended. I assumed you meant "all other games ever aren't available for anyone to ever play", which informed my choice.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think it might be the switch. It just has an amazingly strong library, plus so many collections and ports of retro games.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Switch as I wouldn't want to let go of portable gaming.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Every other platform and games ever released will be erased from existence. And no, there is no way to release or emulate or play using BC in whatever you choose a working version of a game ever released in another system, ie. you will never be able to play Super Mario 64 in the PS4, or some version of God of War 2018 in the Dreamcast.

I'd pick the SNES. That's a system with an amazing library that covers I'd say every genre, with a decent graphical power and if I want some multiplayer action, there's a lot of couch coop games to play.

What about you? what system would you choose? For instance, can you choose let's say the PS2 and erase Super Mario 64? TLoU? Halo?

EDIT: let's make the decision a little bit harder: you can't choose PC.
EDIT 2: no BC allowed!
I've never owned a console, so PC would be my default answer.
Even without emulation the amount of games that exist for it is astounding.

HOSKINGJ

Jan 5, 2018
REALLY difficult between PS2 and Switch.

The only thing really stopping me from easily picking Switch is - for me - there's whole genres/types of games it's missing. I need my MGS and sim racer replacements...

By the end of the Switch's lifespan I think I could make a fairer choice.

Kutaragi

Sep 3, 2020
ITALY
PS4 because it provides the best value in terms of number/quality of games and performance. I wouldn't be able to go back to previous platform without noticing the aliasing or the low poly count or poor texturing.

Easy pick.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Easy: PC, even without emulation.

But since this isnt allowed I'll choose PS4. Lots of modern games, multiplayer games, QoL features in its games, and indies with old-fashioned vibes.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Actually reading the OP it seems like the PS1 and PS2 games that are sold on the PS3 storefront should be okay. In which case it's PS3 easy.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PS2 and I don't feel bad about it.

We'd fill up those lobbies for RE Outbreak
tenor.gif

YES. Also PS2 has a really diverse library as well. Wholeheartedly agree.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
With no backwards compatibility allowed, either a SNES or PS1 would be fine for me. If we're allowing BC, compilations etc, probably a Switch. I haven't touched anything else in a long time. There's enough in any modern catalogue to keep me going for the rest of my life to be honest, given the hundreds of games that release and me getting though a dozen or so a year at the most.

Sep 29, 2020
Xbox 360 easily. The amount of great games and ports on it that still holds up today would keep my busy for a long time.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Damn, the more I think about it, the harder it gets. If I had to choose, I guess the Gamecube, because my #1 favorite game is there (Skies of Arcadia: Legends) and another top 5 (Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, which is pretty much infinitely replayable), there's a Fire Emblem, one of the best Zeldas and another that's pretty good, Smash Melee, Thousand-Year Door, Soulcalibur II if I want another fighting game, several Sims games that are good even if they aren't a perfect match for their PC counterparts, at least one great Mario Party (4) and some okay ones, the last good Star Fox games that weren't just regurgitating SF64... yeah, I think I probably still like the Gamecube's library the best for my tastes if I could only keep one console.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
I think I have to go with the massive, weird and wonderful library of the PS2! So many good memories there and SO many games left to try. Never could find any Shadow Hearts games growing up....