• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
People on gamepass buy stuff - dlc, passes, games themselves they don't just make money off the subs they get a cut of everything.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
They're blitzscaling it similar to a startup. Acquire audience at a low cost and more effectively monetize them later.

Along with subscription revenue (which will increase over time for the people who got in cheap, too), they'll also capture a percentage of MTXs.

They can fund the losses now and make it up on the back end over the years.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I just subbed 5 minutes ago to the ultimate plan for both pc and xbox and it upgraded from my current gold subscription.

Last edited:

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
"Can" is the operative word.

we are in the "hardcore" bubble here.

But most people just give their CC# and let Microsoft have their way with it each month.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The cheap upgrade plan can only be made once. Once you convert for ultimate you can't even get regular gamepass or gold, once you redeem they are automatically converted to less gpu months.

Account sharing is not official and you literally can find thousands of accounts for every platform known to man. It's not exclusive to gamepass.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I let Phil worry about it and reap all the benefits.

I played Yakuza 0 yesterday. I have never played ANY of them. Yet another gem in the treasure trove that is GamePass.

This is the fucking Golden Age of game subscription. Enjoy while you can.

KodiakGTS

Jun 4, 2018
Is this what's meant by concern trolling?

I mean they're not wrong. We literally had a GamePass financial worrying thread yesterday.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rough-calculations-on-game-pass-relative-to-other-successfully-published-individual-games.292478/

I'll say what I said there. We live in a bubble on ERA, we don't have enough info about the market as a whole to have informed discussion:
  1. What is the average fee/month of existing GamePass subscribers? Do many people pay full price?
  2. How many people buy games they play via GamePass to permanently own them, or to support the dev if they are an indie?
  3. How many people buy DLC for GamePass that they would have not bought otherwise?
  4. Does the fact that GamePass tends to increase the sales of a title (at least for AA or indies, we don't have enough info about AAA titles) means that MSFT can get those games on GamePass relatively cheap?
  5. How many people buy games as their GamePass membership is about to expire in order to take advantage of the discount?
Until we can answer the majority of those questions it is very difficult to have an informed discussion about the financials of GamePass. Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see most of these numbers.

So sure you can speculate that they lose a ton of money on GamePass, but nobody really knows except them and maybe some close partners.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
you have to remember, avergae consumers just don't take advatage of these deals

this $1 upgrade, out of the 15m subscribers, is probably such a tiny tiny percent on the pie chart

when i got game pass i just signed up... £33 a quarter ($168 a year)... and i'm probably in the 95%

PhantomArtifice

Lead Administrator at Final Weapon
Verified
Apr 24, 2019
USA
It's about getting in their ecosystem, that's all they want, regardless of whether you play on PC or Xbox.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the past few days I have been researching Game Pass and this shit just does not make any god damn sense.
You should give Phil a call! Or better yet hit him up on Twitter! Let him know you did the research and the numbers just aren't adding up. He and the team must have missed something. I'm sure Phil would love to know. You might be able to save Xbox before they destroy themselves. You could be a hero!

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Era more concerned with Microsoft's balance sheet than the MS CEO and CFO. It's laughable at this point.

Let MS worry about that.

RGamer2009

Oct 28, 2017
If you are in their ecosystem...they won. Its hard to break away once you are invested. They learned this from Apple.

Oct 24, 2019

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
Also..it took Netflix something like 9-10 years before turning a profit.
I suppose they're turning a positive net income, but they're still at taking on outrageous amounts of debt. I took a financial statement analysis course last winter and we spent an entire class period discussing whether or not Netflix can sustain what they've been doing any longer. Netflix is a fascinating company financially.

Anyway, your point stands. Just wanted to bring that up.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Reoccurring revenue bundles is the ticket to making your stock price shoot through the roof. MS knows this better than anyone, they're simply taking their SaaS model they perfected with O365 and other subscriptions and are recreating it in the gaming space.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose they're turning a positive net income, but they're still at taking on outrageous amounts of debt. I took a financial statement analysis course last winter and we spent an entire class period discussing whether or not Netflix can sustain what they've been doing any longer. Netflix is a fascinating company financially.

Anyway, your point stands. Just wanted to bring that up.
Amazon did something similar too. They lost money for well over a decade before turning a profit.

data

Oct 25, 2017
They already phased out 12 month gold through MS. You have to get that through 3rd parties and who knows when that will be gone too.

They also increased the PC game pass price per month recently

ShadowGP

Oct 27, 2017
I have Ultimate for the next 27 months for 3.99 per month (upgraded my PC Gamepass). Next Gen ready!

OP
OP
Dust

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are hardcore missing the point, I am praising Game Pass. Even if it's just those three years, the value is something I have never seen before in anything.

Just cannot wrap my head around at how much money is MS willing to burn.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
For anybody who doesn't want to go through VPN stuff you can still get a 24 month code for $95 from Costco and a separate 12 month code from elsewhere and still upgrade it via GPU trial. ~$160 for 3 years of GPU is still pretty damn good.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Era more concerned with Microsoft's balance sheet than the MS CEO and CFO. It's laughable at this point.

Let MS worry about that.

Yeah but when we ask for VR on Xbox its all about MS's bottom line and how they don't have the resources. They just bought one of the few major publishers who actually invested in VR development, but they can't even commit to VR on console

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
They are losing money on purpose now, then plan on making bank when they have 200 million people paying $15/month 5, 10 years from now.

They are playing the long game.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
MS playing the long game and engaging users in their ecosystem, those who grabbed the 3 years of gold with the €1 upgrade to ultimate will purchase the new Xbox first.

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope my computer can still run games well in 3 years when my cheap sub is up, who knows what the price will be

But for now I can get more than enough value out of it on my PC and streaming

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm locked until Dec 2022. I fully expect when my deal runs out I will have to pay full price for a sub. That's why.

They also fully expect me to buy some games not on gamepass. I will.

I will also probably buy some movies/tv shows.

That's why.

It's a revenue creating box in people's living rooms.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It's a very very small minority of people taking advantage of these deals. The vast majority are spending $10 or $15 a month on the service.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why be concerned with the finances of a trillion dollar company? they'll be fine, and know what they're doing. as long as gamers are happy and devs are getting paid, there's nothing to worry about.

USF

Oct 28, 2017
I hope it's ok to ask this here

My GPU ends this month after upgrading my gold last year for $1

Will I be able to do it again and convert for $1 when the sub ends? I want to max it out to 3 years this time

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why do people struggle with this? Their play is the long game. They will increase prices over time just like other services. But once you're in the likelihood is that a very large portion will just stay in the service regardless of use (this happens all the time with streaming services, heck I have two subs I don't know why I keep but I have them none the less).

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but when we ask for VR on Xbox its all about MS's bottom line and how they don't have the resources. They just bought one of the few major publishers who actually invested in VR development, but they can't even commit to VR on console

Have they said that? I recall from a couple of years ago that Spencer said he didn't think VR was a "now, now" thing and that it wasn't right for the living room experience with all the cords.

Do we know for certain they're not going to work on VR at all this upcoming gen?

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Lock you into the ecosystem is the goal

But how am I being 'locked into it' exactly, I wonder. Sure, as things are right now I'm being incentivised to drop a good amount of money upfront on the promise that I'll like enough of what they offer me games-wise in the next years where I'm subscribed.

But I don't own any of the games (my xbox library contains nothing, not a single purchase after almost a year of Game Pass), and I couldn't give less of a fuck about the achievement system which in turn on the Playstation manages to motivate me to own games and go back to them.

I just don't see Xbox trying hard to keep me inside their ecosystem. I just see them wanting me to enter it really badly.

edit: I can pack my bags anytime and not feel even a little bad about it is what I meant to say

mangrilla

Aug 28, 2020
Washington, DC
Console manufacturers are already well acquainted with the loss leader strategy and it is what is happening here as well. I would expect to see them look to find ways to exacerbate network effects or lock in (offering exclusive live service-style content behind a GP sub) prior to raising the price down the road.

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I hope it's ok to ask this here

My GPU ends this month after upgrading my gold last year for $1

Will I be able to do it again and convert for $1 when the sub ends? I want to max it out to 3 years this time
I believe you can do it again, but it'll be $15 instead of $1.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Remember when Facebook fudged the numbers and convinced everyone pivoting to facebook video was good business for them. Then it wasn't and now all our media is fucked. I expect this but with video games.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care. I locked in over 2 years a few months ago before the promo disappears.

I'll take Phil's advice and let them worry about all that.

I'm not locked into a platform, sub that's not my primary. I subbed to EAAccess when I first got my One S a few years ago. Saved my ass at Christmas time.

I haven't subscribed since.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
4ehz2b.jpg

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Some people are hardcore missing the point, I am praising Game Pass. Even if it's just those three years, the value is something I have never seen before in anything.

Just cannot wrap my head around at how much money is MS willing to burn.
I got where you were coming from, the "another concern thread" stuff was missing the point.

But a lot of others have pointed out why the value is so good, it's simply to make the choice not to simply illogical and get you on the hook.

Those 3 years you mentioned are what it's all about for me atm. I just got 3 years of gamepass ultimate for about £90 thanks to the kind folks of ERA and their wily ways. Have a Series S on the way day 1. I don't intend to spend a single penny more, I'll be playing my ps5 mostly, but will get access to lots of xbox games I've missed out on in the past, all sorts of other stuff that comes and goes and everything first party over those 3 years. I think that's about 30p a day and I get to keep or sell the console when it expires. Like I said, it's illogical not to go for that, I coudln't make a case for not doing.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
How much does game pass cost without all these deals?
Game Pass Ultimate, the one that everyone has because of the €/$1 conversion is normally €/$ 15 a month now. And you can bet enough people are already paying that.
So once everyone is off the Gold conversion in a few years it's probably €/$20/month until then without deals, a moderate hike of €1 a year in the background. Which is still a great deal for the content that is gonna be up there, but an insane amount of income for MS.

Oct 25, 2017
For the past few days I have been researching Game Pass and this shit just does not make any god damn sense.

Internet is flooded with shady secondary accounts with years of GP for pennies and methods to stock up for like $150 officially for three years. I just ...WHAT.

Is MS planning on crashing this industry? Will they really fund multiple triple AAA Bethesda titles, their own titles AND potentially other games from bought studios in the future that people can pay for them few bucks a month? I mean kudos to MS, but...the fuck is going on here.

What is the catch?

The same reason why Netflix doesn't crack down on shared accounts. With rent-based economics, the first stage is to grow your user base above all else.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The only bad thing about GamePass is it's almost too good.

The overwhelming majority of consumers aren't going around finding ways to stock up on years of GamePass for $150+ up front. But this will be ignored because Era bubble and everyone will insist even the mythical Confused Xbox Grandma™ could find these deals without even trying, so there's no way anyone is paying full price.

I love how GamePass is either entirely worthless with only old shit no one plays, or it's so good of a deal it's going to DESTROY THE INDUSTRY.